(spec me a laptop) windows laptop for graphic design / agency work

Associate
Hi,

I'm a little lost with the current range of laptops. I have an older Dell XPS 9350 laptop which is on its last legs and need a replacement. Primarily use a desktop PC for graphic design and occasional video editing. However I've started a new part time job as a marketing manager and am currently in the process of working with a number of other businesses as a freelancer... so it will be advantageous to switch over to a laptop. I've listed some wants/needs below which is probably helpful

2 in 1 vs traditional laptop. I'm still mulling over these options. Going 2 in 1 increases the price and reduces options however I think being able to use a stylus would be useful when meeting with clients.

Screen size. I'm currently using an XPS 13 which is fine browsing on my lap but working alongside a 27"+ monitor feel really small. I think 14/15/16 would be a better option. 17 I think might be too big.

Screen resolution. At least UHD.

Keyboard/base. Must be solid. I don't like the surface pros with floppy keyboards. Backlit keyboard but these are pretty standard now on these types of laptops.

Graphics. To reduce weight, heat and battery life I may be correct in thinking I don't need dedicated graphics however would like an EGPU for CAD/video work. I think onboard graphics will be fine for photoshop and indesign.

Ram. 32GB ideally for futureproofing and above work.

CPU. Something that's going to last me and manage with the work I will be doing with the EGPU.

Storage. At least 1TB.

Build quality. Wants to feel solid and be reliable.

Windows or Mac... 100% windows.

Sound. Doesn't matter.

Cost. I haven't got a set budget

So I think that's everything that should be considered :) would be great to narrow down the options so I can try them out in store.

TIA!

Soldato
I've got a Dell Inspiron 2 in 1. I use it for Photoshop and Indesign and it's fine. Mine has 12GB RAM and that's usually OK for me, but I would boost it to at least 32GB next time.

15.6" screen is a good size.

Stylus I rarely use but would be most useful for artwork. I don't see it as that useful in meetings for me, but I prefer typing to writing.

I would say the Dell Inspiron range is worthy of consideration.

Also, Asus have a range of Creator laptops that might be worth looking at.

Associate
OP
I've got a Dell Inspiron 2 in 1. I use it for Photoshop and Indesign and it's fine. Mine has 12GB RAM and that's usually OK for me, but I would boost it to at least 32GB next time.

15.6" screen is a good size.

Stylus I rarely use but would be most useful for artwork. I don't see it as that useful in meetings for me, but I prefer typing to writing.

I would say the Dell Inspiron range is worthy of consideration.

Also, Asus have a range of Creator laptops that might be worth looking at.

Thanks I'll check those out. I'm also now looking at Microsoft Surface Studio :/
Too many options!

Soldato
I'm using one of these for a general carry around and as am alternative to a Macbook Pro M2. I'm relatively happy with it:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm using one of these for a general carry around and as am alternative to a Macbook Pro M2. I'm relatively happy with it:

Thanks actually really looking the look of these. There's the newer version just come out around £1600. Heavily considering getting it but still looking just in case there's another option...

Associate
OP
Thanks actually really looking the look of these. There's the newer version just come out around £1600. Heavily considering getting it but still looking just in case there's another option...

Well after further research I'm kinda stuck getting over the fact it's limited to 24gb ram as comes with 1x 8gb soldered ram and 1x8gb sodimm. I thought I could upgrade the 16gb to 32gb. I understand why companies make these decisions but it really annoys me... I'm not sure if I would notice 24gb vs 32gb but I had it in my mind this is what I could do. Presumably next years' model will be 32gb. Total PITA.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I'm reading further and it appears the laptop will likely accept more than a 24gb gram (8+16) such as 40gb (8+32). There is even a 48gb module which would result in 56gb (8+48gb). I'm doing research myself, but does anyone have experience with these kinda of configurations and advise compatibility? Gaming is not something I am interested in with this laptop so it would be purely browsing, graphic design and video editing performance.

From what I've read, my current understand is laptops don't need to have matching ram sizes any more to run in dual channel. And the "up to 24gb" is likely a way for Asus to upsell a higher spec laptop despite being able to accept larger sizes.

FWIW, the modules I am looking at are
CT16G56C46S5 (16gb)
CT32G56C46S5 (32gb)
CT48G56C46S5 (48gb)

On the Crucial website they appear to all have the same JEDEC default values however the only difference I see is that the 48GB module has a die density of 24gb.

When I enter the model number in the Crucial website, it advises "your computer's memory capability - maximum memory 40GB". Though I suppose this may not necessarily rule out the 48GB module option given previous discrepency

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom