spec me screws and wall plugs please

Soldato
Hi all

I am looking to do a media wall in our living room, Basically screw some timber to the chimney breast, Sheet of MDF screwed to the timber then so on...

This is my first DIY done by myself so need some help on how to work out what length screws and Wall plugs I need, What do I measure? timber and then how much into wall?

Any help appreciated :)

Soldato
Rawlplug brown plugs. Screws 4 or 4.5 or 5mm diameter, depth of the wood + 30-40mm length for the screw. i.e. if you're fixing 25mm batten, get a 60-70mm x 4/4.5/5 screw.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Mason- on Wickes i see the Brown plugs they are 7mm Diameter?
Yeah the hole you drill into the wall is 7mm, so make sure you have a 7mm masonry bit, you then tap the plug in, the screw that goes into the plug is between 4-5mm diameter.

If you're going to lay the battens against the wall so you're going through 38mm of wood, I would get 70/80mm x 4/4.5/5mm screws.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I assume this media wall is going to have some depth to it, i.e. you'll fix the cross section of it to the wall with wood, then the same cross section some depth away from the wall, then some wood to join them together. The point being, there is actually going to be very little load on the wood attached to the wall, most of the load will go down vertically into the floor. I suppose apart from your TV. The point I'm getting at is, you could probably just use some construction adhesive like CT1 or something and it'll be absolutely fine.

Soldato
OP
I assume this media wall is going to have some depth to it, i.e. you'll fix the cross section of it to the wall with wood, then the same cross section some depth away from the wall, then some wood to join them together. The point being, there is actually going to be very little load on the wood attached to the wall, most of the load will go down vertically into the floor. I suppose apart from your TV. The point I'm getting at is, you could probably just use some construction adhesive like CT1 or something and it'll be absolutely fine.

so instead of screwing into the chimney breast you'd maybe recommend CT1? the TV will be on a separate mount already on the wall so I'm building around it, the only weight is from the MDF board

Soldato
so instead of screwing into the chimney breast you'd maybe recommend CT1? the TV will be on a separate mount already on the wall so I'm building around it, the only weight is from the MDF board
It's an option. There's so many ways to fix wood to masonry. Screws + Plugs, construction adhesive, masonry screws, bolts and chemical fixings, even old school masonry nails.

Soldato
I've got an ex-council PRC house: all the walls are plasterboard mounted on the internal "skin". I found red/brown rawl plugs wouldn't grip and eventually slipped/failed due to the 5-10mm air gap.

I was recommended Fischer Plasterboard plugs and find they grip far more securely and fail less often:

6mm drill bit, 40mm depth. I use M5×40mm Pozi screws.

Soldato
Make the frame first just use normal wood screws. Then put it in place and screw it to the wall with These

Remember and put a pad in for the telly.

You could then cover it up with plasterboard but what I’d be tempted to do is use is Wood panels. Would look awesome as a feature wall with the tv on it.

You can fix it with a staple gun or some stixall/ct1 for no fixing on display. Would look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom