Spec my a charcoal BBQ (up to £250)

Soldato
As title... I'm on on my 3rd or 4th B&Q BBQ that rusts after a year (even when covered).

What's a good recommendation for a proper long lasting charcoal BBQ? I like the barrel ones, but open to any if it's a good un.

Last edited:
Soldato

Just come on here to say the same.

I have 2 weber kettles smaller and bigger one, use the bigger more often but still use the smaller one now and then usually just for steak.

The small one is at least 10 years old and it's fine. The big one probably going on for 6-7 years.

I dunno what they hell they make those out of, or the other way of looking at it is what cheapest of cheap chineseium the supermarket ones are made from.

Soldato
I went for a Landmann XXL Broiler last year for around that and it's brilliant.

I wanted a large rectangular one so I could do direct and in-direct heat. The two grills can be independently controlled by raising or lowering the charcoal. Add more charcoal if needed etc etc.

Webbers are just a bit, basic.

Soldato
I would disagree, Webers may seem basic but they are really versatile:

Direct Heat: cook over the coals (if you wanted different temps you can have coals in a basket one side and coals on the grate the other side to give a temperature difference)
Indirect: Coals on one side of the grill, cook on the other side
Low and Slow: Snake method (great for really long cooks 12 hours or even longer)
Hot and Fast Roasting: Coals in baskets either side

Also, if you want you can add a few bits to make it even more versatile:

Cold smoking: use a simple smoke generator and place it in bottom to cold smoke cheese, butter, nuts etc etc
Extra Hot Direct heat: Add a vortex to give really high temperatures, great for searing steaks etc (care is needed to not melt the grill!)
Pizza Stone
Rotisserie

There really is very little you can't do on a Weber, and they are well built and last very well. Also, the quality of the air flow control is fantastic, which is one of the things that makes temperature control so easy and effective on a Weber.

Associate
I have 2, normal Weber kettle and now the Weber Summit Komado - they're great BBQs. The first is nearly 10 years old and, cleaned, it doesn't look the age. The enamel really is strong and has taken an absolute beating.

My Summit I managed to cook a full Christmas dinner on (oven failed the day before!) - it was great!

Soldato
No contest. Weber kettle all day long. Extremely versatile as pointed out 2 post above. Jack of all trades with amazing accessories.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a Landmann XXL and also a Landmann Smoker, both great pieces of kit but Webers are really good as well.

Depends which tickles your fancy really.

Associate
Only reason I'm moving on from Weber is it's size, if you are having a big group of people to cook for it's a pain.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a Landmann and it only last 3 or 4 years. Paint flaking all over and plenty of corrosion, and I kept it covered whenever not in use. I liked it but it wasn't exactly premium and built to last, so I'd steer clear unless they've had an uptick in quality.

Just lit my Kamado Joe which is very much made to last.
Only reason I'm moving on from Weber is it's size, if you are having a big group of people to cook for it's a pain.

Last edited:
Associate
I would disagree, Webers may seem basic but they are really versatile:

Direct Heat: cook over the coals (if you wanted different temps you can have coals in a basket one side and coals on the grate the other side to give a temperature difference)
Indirect: Coals on one side of the grill, cook on the other side
Low and Slow: Snake method (great for really long cooks 12 hours or even longer)
Hot and Fast Roasting: Coals in baskets either side

Also, if you want you can add a few bits to make it even more versatile:

Cold smoking: use a simple smoke generator and place it in bottom to cold smoke cheese, butter, nuts etc etc
Extra Hot Direct heat: Add a vortex to give really high temperatures, great for searing steaks etc (care is needed to not melt the grill!)
Pizza Stone
Rotisserie

There really is very little you can't do on a Weber, and they are well built and last very well. Also, the quality of the air flow control is fantastic, which is one of the things that makes temperature control so easy and effective on a Weber.

Great explanation on the Weber. Using mine more and more the past couple of weeks and experimenting with all the styles.

Great accessories but can do basics right out of the box.

Easy to move about the garden and great all rounder.

Back
Top Bottom