Starlink Gen 1 Router with Mesh Wifi

Associate
Hi,

I have recently purchased a TP Link Deco mesh system. Mesh is setup fine (plugged both units into the switch and run the cables) but I have now have 2 wifi networks. I also have a switch plugged into the back of the Gen 1 which I use for the wired network.

I am trying to set the Gen 1 router into bypass mode but it does not seem to work, no matter how many times I do it, wait, try to reset it, it won't go into bypass mode.

Is there another router I could buy and configure to replace the starlink gen 1 or am I doing something wrong when trying to set bypass mode?

I have the older round starlink satellite, which has a shared power unit with the router.

Thank you

John

Man of Honour
Isn't Deco just a mesh system? If so, you don't need to configure bridge mode, just disable Wi-Fi on the Starlink router (if you are able to).

Associate
OP
Hi Chris, yes correct deco is just a mesh system.

From my understanding it is not possible to disable the WiFi on the gen 1 router and only able to set bypass mode. I thought this would have the same effect, is that not the case?

I would be up for changing the router if needs be.

I could have both wifi networks active and possibly just log all devices out of the original Starlink network but I’m not sure if that would cause any issues?

Thank you

Isn't Deco just a mesh system? If so, you don't need to configure bridge mode, just disable Wi-Fi on the Starlink router (if you are able to).

Associate
OP
I have looked into this a bit more, the Starlink I have is gen one and doesn’t have a lot of features.

I think I can stop using the star link router and connect the to link s7 mesh system direct to the Starlink dish via power supply module and use that as a router.

Has anyone set something like this up and would it be plug and play or would I need to programme the mesh system?

Thank you

Associate
If you cant disable the SL wifi or =do anything with the config.

Why not leave it running the lan and leave it's wifi on.....then configure the tp link with the same wifi ssid & password as the SL. That's what i'd do.

Associate
OP
Hi John, thanks for your advice.

I did try this during setup but the mesh system threw up an error during setup stating that it had found a network with the same credentials.

I could try this again, I wasn’t sure if it 2 would conflict

Thanks again

Why not leave it running the lan and leave it's wifi on.....then configure the tp link with the same wifi ssid & password as the SL. That's what i'd do.

Soldato

Definitely not the right thing to do with modern mesh systems

Associate
OP
Ok, I have managed to put the mesh system into access point mode , so I’m going to keep the Starlink router , have the mesh in access point mode and use them for the WiFi. This seems like the easiest option.

Could I set the mesh WiFi the same as my current Starlink ssid, change the mesh to something else and everything will then be connected to the mesh system ?

Or would I need to re connect each device manually?

Otherwise, I could set 2 mesh plus Starlink router all with the same ssid but main mesh is next to the router so thinking it may cause a conflict.

I’m not sure on the best setup . I’m thinking taking the Starlink WiFi out of the setup will be best.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also, thinking about the wired config.

What do we think would be best setup if in access point mode only?

2a - Starlink router(one Ethernet port)> switch > 2 x mesh

2b - router > mesh 1 > switch > mesh 2

2c router > mesh 1 > switch & mesh 2 wired direct to mesh 1

2d router > switch > mesh 1 > mesh 2 wired direct to mesh 1 and not switch

Thank you, I have googled this but cannot find a definite answer so I have handed it over to the experts!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom