Starting a 10 day fruit/veg juice fast - Few questions

Soldato
Hi there people, I'm really excited to go on a 10 day fruit/veg fast to do a natural detox, hopefully lose a tiny amount of weight and make me feel great. You might think why 10 days, well its expensive and its just a trial, if I enjoy it I plan on doing a full 60 days after christmas as I've heard and seen people have amazing results from this.

The reason I've posted is to ask people with experience of juice fasting for some advice/tips...for example I already researched online and it gave me a list of vegatbles to avoid due to high toxicity of pesticides and also to aim for mostly organic foods.

The veg I've been advised to avoid due to high toxicity of pesticides are:
Celery
Spinach
Kale
Collard Greens
Lettuce
Carrots
Cucumber (not as bad if you peel the skin)

The veg I have been advised to start with are:
Celery (only if organic)
Fennel (anise)
Cucumbers(only if organic)

It then says: "When you've acclimatized yourself to juicing, you can start adding these vegetables:"
Red leaf lettuce
Green Leaf lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Endive
Escarole
Spinach

My questions to you are, which fruits and veggies should I buy, which are cheapest because I'm not loaded, and what are good combinations which taste nice?

Also because I lift weights and I'm trying to gain muscle and lose bodyfat should I do it like this...3 whey protein shakes and 5 veg/fruit juices? as an example? that way I would still be getting some protein as well as the vitamins and minerals from the fruit.

Also I know bananas have high carbs so they would be a good choice to add some carbs but what about fats? I just want to drink shakes and juices only for 10 days, no solid food at all.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
OP
Ok I'm not sure why I'm getting such negative feedback, also not sure what the difference is between the word juice or smoothie, I just watched the documentary, really fat people were losing lots of weight doing this fruit/veg fast for 60 days and I think one guy did it for 6 months who was like 429 pounds to begin with and got down to 220 pounds eventually.

A lot of you have mentioned protein and losing muscle, but I've kind of said to myself over past 5 months, forget the muscle, just concentrate on losing fat, so I've been cutting since 29th april 2011, I've lost over 30 pounds, havent weighed myself in 3-4 weeks so probably lost even more then that now as I said to myself I was not going to weigh myself again until end of the year and then hopefully the scales will say 17 stone or less the next time I do as I was hovering around 18 for a while.

Most forums I've been on have told me to just focus on getting bodyfat down and forget the muscle as everyone whos seen my pictures has said I'm 20% bodyfat or more even! Which is why for the last 5 months I've never even thought about gaining muscle. But as it happens I've got leaner and I believe I have gained a slight amount of muscle and also maintained what I already had because my measurements for arms/chest/legs etc are the same as they 5 months ago yet I've gone down two belt buckles and 2 inches off my jeans size. So as far as I'm concerned what I've done in the last 5 months has been a complete success, I've had completements off all the regulars at the gym and I've never looked better before.

But I still have the problem of holding too much fat around the mid section, and I've kinda been saying to myself this past month, "If I could only just shift this last chunk of fat, I'd be there! I'd be where I want to be" because I feel the rest of my body is fine it's just my stomach and if I can get that area at least completely flat with no roundness then the whole package would come together. Then I watched this documentary on fruit/veg juice fasting, and I'd heard of this before, some family members doing it too, and I thought ya know what I'd love to do that for 60 days or even 90 days or more like the people in the documentary did but I cant afford it, so both the documentary and most websites I've been on recommend 10 days, I've seen some that recommend starting at 15 days also. But I reckon it's going to cost me £20 per day so 10 days at £200 will be enough for me.

I'm hoping to feel great after doing it, to have a natural detox the first few days and clean out all my insides. Also I think because I've been eating healthy foods for past few years anyways that this wont be as hard or as a drastic for me as it would be for someone that eats refined, processed food, and fast food, junk food.

Regarding the protein tho, I thought to myself, well, I want to do this exactly as they did it in the documentary but at the same time I'm not going to not go to the gym, so therefore I need protein so I've decided to have 3 protein shakes a day...so I'd probably have my days structured with 1 fruit juice, 4 veg juices, and 3 whey protein shakes. Thats the plan anyways. And I've read some tips to add lemon, olive oil, and honey to my veg juices so I'll prob do that and then try and work it out so the calories are 500 less then I need so that I can hopefully lose some weight over the 10 days, and maybe just do quick light sessions at the gym with some cardio.

Soldato
OP
One of the silliest things I've read in a while, thanks OP.

a) you won't find pesticides are a problem in this country iirc, and if you're concerned, rinse your food.

b) "detox" as a principle is nonsense

I going to guess that this came from an American website *looks back over OP for website*

Right, so a quick google reveals that this is the source:
http://juicing.mercola.com/sites/juicing/juicing.aspx

Disappointing.

Thats just one website I looked at for tips, I already posted the source as the origonal documentary and then followed it to up this website http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/ which then led me to this website http://jointhereboot.com/reboot-program/the-reboot-entry-plan/during-your-reboot-entry/

You guys seem to have some big issues and problems with me doing this juice fast. The way you're all coming across is pretty much how you've always come across with me over the years. It feels like you're flaming me and you're basically laughing at me?

Not really sure where this anger and hatred is coming from? The thread title is "Starting a 10 day fruit/veg juice fast - Few questions" I was hoping someone would reply and say something along the lines of:

"Hi Scotch, yes mate, I've been on a fruit/veg fast before and it was great, the first few days was hard because I was on the toilet none stop because it detoxes your body to begin with, but after that it got easier and I started to feel great once my body got adjusted. My tips for you are add lemon and olive oil to your juices and try to buy all organic. Also spending money on a decent juicer/blender is worth it in my opinion as the cheaper ones arent always powerful enough to chop through certain veggies and potatoes depending on what foods you plan to use. Good luck with your fast! :)"

Thats what I would have expected, but instead I just get flamed with disrespect.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
seems like a lot of contradiction going on there, for example spinach is in the avoid list as well as the end list.

i dont know much about pesticides and toxicity but i thought so long as you washed before eating you were fine.

you could always buy frozen/tinned if cost is an issue.

are you going to be using a juicer or a blender? as you keep on saying juice when i think you should be saying smoothie.

I dont want to buy frozen or tinned, I want to buy all fresh and all organic so that I get the veg fruit as close to the original source as possible and full of vitamins and minerals which can be lost when processed, refined and sprays with pesticides.

Also regarding what you said about contradictions, the website I found was basically telling you which veggies had the highest toxicity of pesticides and made a list, and then it was telling you which veggies to eat first in your juices/smoothies and which to avoid to start with, because some are harder for your body to digest or cope with and some will have you on the toilet more then others, so some veggies are easier for your body to deal with and some it says to add at a later date. Thats all I was trying to explain there and was asking for tips and your opinions.

Like for example you might have said:
"Yes I was on a juice fast and I found celery/spinach/cucumber worked best for me for first few weeks and then I started adding banana's/carrots etc." as an example.

Soldato
OP
I should think a 430lb person would lose dramatic weight on a diet such as this, not due to some magical properties of blending fruit together but because they're gonna be on a pretty massive calorific deficit.

EDIT: £20 a DAY!? Better you than me, I'd be eating steaks and caviar all day if I suddenly had £20/day for food!

Well I'm just seeing it as an investment, a one off, I also found a post on bodybuilding.com about fasting for bodybuilders and how they recommend we do it for 7 days once every 6 months. There's thousands of websites and forums talking about it, I must have read over 20 sites and watched youtube videos etc in last few days.

Soldato
OP
Why are you cutting out everything other than your juice?
That site specifically says:

I'm not following the plan set on that website mate, I'm following the plan set in the documentary I watched. I don't see this as a problem, it's experience and once I've done it once I might say to myself, I'm never going to do that ever again I felt like rubbish, I had no energy, I was on the toilet every day none stop and it was just a waste of time, energy and money, or perhaps I'll say the opposite and introduce this into my yearly eating regiment.

Soldato
OP
Why don't you just eat a well structured balanced diet that suits your goals :confused: These quick fixes don't last you know.

I do, I eat healthy year round and have one cheat every 4-8 weeks. My family think I'm crazy because I dont eat chocolate/fast food like they do. I dont smoke or drink either. Well accept for parties like Christmas etc which is maybe 3-4 times a year. But compared to when I was at uni and going out drinking 5 nights a week when I was 24 stone over 4 years ago, I now practically drink nothing in comparison.

Soldato
OP
if its juice, then its most likely he will end up doing a lot of damage to his system with the insulin spikes, etc.

if its smoothies, then it's not much different to food and he should be fine.

it is a weird thing to do though. he will lose muscle as well as bodyfat, i doubt anyone could gain muscle on such a diet.

I dont need to gain muscle at the moment, I'm still classed as obese.

Soldato
OP
Joseph Mercola? Oh for **** sake.

No-one is going to say "Hey yeah I did this diet and it's great :)" because a) it's a stupid diet, and therefore b) it wouldn't be 'great' if they tried it.

I thought fruit/veg juicing/smoothie diets were quite popular though, I know few of my aunties that tried it and said they enjoyed it and lost weight but was on the toilet quite a lot.

Well, I've always wanted to do a detox anyway so if I am on the toilet a lot then so be it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
210 eggs a week and a diet of egg whites/sardines/fresh baby spinach/oats/fruit/protein shakes/vitamin tablets and wanting to stay clean so not taking creatine.

notsureifserious.

You seem to remember my diet quite well lol, I was on that diet for quite some time but its changed to this now:

Meal 1:
100g of oats with water & one tbsp honey - (12.7g protein, 73.4g carbs, 8.4g fat)
10 egg whites with one yoke made as an omelette cooked with 1 calorie spray(made from olive oil). - (40g protein, 4g fat)
100g pineapple – (15g carbs)
1x vitamin c in water, 1x Multivitamin tablet, 1x cod liver oil tablet, 1x omega 3 tablet

Meal 2:
139g Tuna with one tomato and half an onion - (30.1g protein, 15.6g fat)

Meal 3:
100g of oats with water & one tbsp honey - (12.7g protein, 73.4g carbs, 8.4g fat)
10 egg whites with one yoke made as an omelette cooked with 1 calorie spray(made from olive oil). - (40g protein, 4g fat)

Meal 4 - PWO:
60g Whey protein shake - (two scoops = 50.2g protein, 4.2g carbs, 4g fat)

Meal 5:
10 egg whites with one yoke made as an omelette cooked with 1 calorie spray(made from olive oil) - (40g protein, 4g fat)
1 tbsp organic peanut butter – (3g protein, 3g carbs, 8g fat)
1x vitamin c in water, 1x Multivitamin tablet, 1x cod liver oil tablet, 1x omega 3 tablet

Meal 6:
139g Tuna with one tomato and half an onion - (30.1g protein, 15.6g fat)
100g sweetcorn & 100g peas – (10.3 protein, 27.6 carbs. 3.2g fat)

Meal 7:
30g Casein protein shake - (one scoops = 27.4g protein, 0.6g carbs, 0.3g fat)

Protein = 296.5g = 1186 kcal
Carbs = 197.2g = 788.8 kcal
Fat = 78.5g = 706.5 kcal
Calories = 2681.3 kcal

Anyways, I'll do the 10 day veg/fruit juice fast and post back after to let you know the results, if you care lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
whats with all the weirdness ?

why cant you just eat a healty balanced diet that is calorie deficient for you and increase your excercise ?

Mate I eat 100% healthy 99% of the time, and I train 5 days a week for 1 hour 45 mins - (1 hour weights, 15 mins abs, 30 mins cardio + do lots of walking on top of this obviously). This is just something I want to try for 10 days, whats the harm? I think this is a better idea then those people that go waste money on tablets that say you'll lose x amount of pounds in x amount of days and end up doing nothing, some of those tablets cost £30-£60, ridiculous and I'd never buy them. Where as with this I'm just going to eat...or should I say drink...fruit/veg/whey for 10 days and hopefully makes me feel good and after that I'll go back to my usual healthy diet but introduce juices/smoothies into my every day life.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
if its juice, then its most likely he will end up doing a lot of damage to his system with the insulin spikes, etc.

if its smoothies, then it's not much different to food and he should be fine.

it is a weird thing to do though. he will lose muscle as well as bodyfat, i doubt anyone could gain muscle on such a diet.

I've been reading about the insulin spikes and it says to choose veggies and fruits that aren't high in sugar so not to cause insulin spikes and not to overload your body with sugar, I've yet to research this but I'll hopefully find a list of fruit and veggies suitable for my plan.

Soldato
OP
no harm , and if you want to do it, go for it. like you said it wont hurt you. i wasnt refeing to the 10 day juice thing in my comment.

i was refering to the 30 eggs a day

i also misunderstood when you said you werent worried about muscle, i assumed you werent training.

Well I dont know whats going to happen, in the documentary and the websites I've read and the youtube videos I've watched everyone says they have lots of energy when doing this, but I'm thinking maybe because of the amount of energy I need for my training which is usually HIT with the weights and HIIT with the cardio that maybe I'll end up going to the gym and being like "omg, I have no energy and my strength has gone!!!", so maybe for two weeks whilst I do this 10 days fruit/veg/whey fast I'll need to perhaps change my routine slightly to compensate, I dont know..hopefully not.

As for the eggs, we've had this discussion so many times before, eggs are great, I mainly have egg whites but I've started to throw in one yoke in each meal for the extra fat in my diet.

Soldato
OP
I think you should do this. Maybe then you'll exhaust yourself of these stupid diets and settle on something good and sustainable.

What are these 15 minutes of "abs" you do everyday out of curiosity?

Hey if anything I just love the pain I feel the next morning when I lean forward to get out of bed and your abs at the the front and sides are hurting, its a good pain! :p

Also the food I usually eat isnt really a diet for me, its more a life style choice, and I think its quite sustainable, I'll pretty much eat what I eat now for the rest of my life accept to sometimes do high or low carbs and throw in some different fish from time to time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
no harm , and if you want to do it, go for it. like you said it wont hurt you. i wasnt refeing to the 10 day juice thing in my comment.

i was refering to the 30 eggs a day

i also misunderstood when you said you werent worried about muscle, i assumed you werent training.

Also regarding the muscle, I just meant my focus is not to gain muscle at the moment and any muscle I do gain or maintain is just a bonus but my only focus from 29th april 2011 has been to reduce bodyfat percentage and I plan to continue on this path for as long as it takes, I hoped to be finished by end of this year so I could bulk from january 2013 onwards but I might end up cutting all the way to next summer if thats what it takes. I'm thinking another 30 pounds and I should be there.

Soldato
OP
the reason why your still fat is because your eating 7 meals a day.

give IF a go, i lost 8KG in 2 months.

basically the first week i only allowed myself to eat for 4 hours a day (4pm-8pm).

the second week onwards 6 hours a day (2pm-8pm).

my body has now got used to this, and i now even when i dont fast can only manage to eat 2 meals a day (1 of them being a bowl of cereal).

guess what, im losing weight, eating whatever i want. eating smaller portions, less meals and never feeling hungry.

the most important thing is, if your eating and you feel full, stop eating, even if you only have a little left, just leave it. overeating is the problem. i also drink pints of water constantly. i have 3 big water bottles i keep with me.

combine the above with some cardio and stronglifts 5 x 5, you should have a 6 pack within 6 months. only if your 100% willing to do the above exactly.

I want to respond to your comments but please dont take what I'm about to say in the wrong way, I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, just stating what I think...

I have thought for a while now, perhaps this past year I've thought that the reason why I still hold a lot of fat around my mid section is basically because I haven't been 100% commited to losing fat for the full 4 years I've been training, the first 2 years I was commited to losing fat and I lost 6 stone in the first two years which was great and then by the beggining of year 3 I had fallen in love with bodybuilding and decided to quit the 3 hour cardio sessions which I had been having such great success with and starting to focus on just mainly doing weights and then by the beggining of year 4 I'd pretty much gone back upto 20.5 stone or thereabouts....(by the way my timeline might be a bit out of sync but you get what I'm saying)...and then basically since april 2011 for past 5 months I've been 100% focused on losing fat again and I do honestly believe with the muscle I have gained, with the shape I have gained, and with the fat loss I have had that the body I have now is 10x better then the body I had 4 years ago, I feel like I've had great success in the past 12-18 months since I A)learnt about nutrition, B)started training HIT on the weights and HIIT on the cardio and C) just put 100% effort in to this and made this my life.

Over the past 5 months I've lost over 30 pounds of bodyfat and at the same time been able to maintain the muscle I had already gained. My arms, legs, shoulders, chest, buceps, triceps, back everything, you name it looks better then it was 5 months ago and looks better then it was 4 years ago when I was 24 stone. I'm currently around 18 stone but havent weighed myself in 3-4 weeks and didnt plan on weighing myself until end of the year for a nice surprise when it says 17 stone! lol...hopefully anyways.

But now that I plan on doing this 10 day fruit/veg juice fast I'lll obviously weigh myself before I start and then at the end to see how much weight I lost but am not too concerned about losing loads of weight on it, if I lost 5 pounds I'd be happy but hopefully it just makes me feel great and all goes well.

So basically everyone has their own ideas and phyilosophies on how to train and how to eat, there are many diets and many training regiments for us to try but you dont always have to listen to what one group of people are saying. Like dorian yates always says, dont just eat 600g carbs per day because everyone else does it and it works for them, dont just do squats because everyone else does it and it works for them, some people do better with high fats rather then high carbs, our bodies are different, people react to different foods in different ways. Just like creatine works for some but not others. Squats might be a good quad builder for your friend but you might do better with lunges or leg press etc. It's about listening to others, taking in all the information and then moulding it around yourself, finding out what foods work for you and what exercises work best for you and then just putting your heart and soul into it and giving 100% everytime you go the gym. And if you're constantly seeing your body change, if you're seeing results you know its working, if you're not then change it up, try a different diet, try different training regime.

My current diet and training regime I think are excellent for me, I've seen good results and I'm continuing to see good results on a regular bases so I think that speaks volumes in it's self and shows that despite you guys disagreeing with every word that comes out of my mouth, weather it be about nutrition or training, that I do know a little about what I talk about and if its working for me then that is evidence in it's self. I'll admit if I had eaten calories I could have shifted the excess fat I'm still carrying faster, but at what cost to the muscle I have gained, the fact that my measurements haven't changed in 5 months despite losing over 30 pounds really says something. I'll probably add more progress pictures to the "progress pictures thread" around christmas time.

Also regarding eating 7-8 meals a day, or even 12 meals a day, the purpose of that for bodybuilders as I've read and heard from websites/forums/DVD's is that it speeds up your metabolism, I've also read that exercise does this too. So with me training 5 days a week HIT and HIIT and also eating 7 meals a day I believe my metabolism is going quite fast which is why I'm burning off the calories and losing weight at a gradual pace.

Soldato
OP
The reason you're getting bad reactions to this idea is because it's a bad idea.

It's funny that everyone I told at the gym today, all the regular members, all the staff, all my family and friends, everyone was supportive and wished me good luck and said they liked the idea and that I'll no doubt feel great for doing it but this group of people on this forum which have opinions about me from past post have all simply ignored this thead title "Starting a 10 day fruit/veg juice fast - Few questions" and just basically flamed me and said this is a bad idea.

Well why is it a bad idea? have you ever done it before? whats bad about it?

Also for those of you that have replied to me in the past in other threads with negative comments why did you come into this thread and post more negative comments? I dont understand, it doesnt seem very intelligent?

I was expecting only people who have done detox or fruit/veg juice/smoothie fasting before to reply to this thread. Strange. :confused:

EDIT: I was laughing about some of the comments I've got from verious threads on this forum earlier with my mother and explained to her some of the things that had been said and how theres probably loads of people around the country laughing with their friends and family about some guy on the forum who eats 210 egg whites per week and how hilarious they find it. It made me think I should make a youtube video one time and show all my meals and show my shopping, 7 trays of 30 eggs lol. And also show before and after pictures from past 4 years and video footage of me in majorica 4-5 years ago when I was at 24 stone with no top on so you guys can see how far I've come, the complete transformation and also understand my diet better. I think people get too caught up on the whole 30 eggs a day, if you just saw me eating an omlette consisting of 10 egg whites and maybe 1 yoke thrown in, you'd see that its quite a small meal on a plate, its no sunday dinner by any means and it just seems a big number in your head. But its only 40g of protein, probably the best amino acid profile on the planet. And its just the same as the millions of other bodybuilders out there that consume endless amounts of skinless chicken breast, or turkey, beef, etc 8-12 times per day. I think if you guys looked at other videos of other people on youtube consuming their meals that their plates of chicken or beef look quite huge compared to my plate of omlette. I defo like the idea of making a youtube video to show all this, not just for you guys and this forum but also to show my friends and family and even myself which sounds conseeded, maybe it is, but I believe its good to keep progress pictures/videos to self motivate and to show yourself how far you've come and also which parts need working on like if your latts or traps looked better one year or the other for exmaple and what needs to be brought upto scratch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom