Steam being hacked?

Soldato
Obligatory xkcd:

password_strength.png

e: forgot this wasn't /.

I was about to post this. Although it is a comic it is very very valid.

Permabanned
Use a crazy password for your email.

Use a different crazy password for Steam.

Very good site here for testing passwords.
https://howsecureismypassword.net/

^Personally, I'd only type in something 'similar' to my password into a site like that, but you get the idea. Good for testing your old passwords to see how insecure they are.

-My email password (edited a bit for the site)

My password doesn't register

:D

what is kickstarter?

Not sure if serious, but Kickstarter is a platform for project work, usually in the form of a piece of software. It can be anything though, not just computer related. You set a time limit and funding goal for yourself. Fans that are interested will each pay a small sum to allow the project creator to keep going. The paying fans will then get the full product once completed. If it doesn't get complete, I think they get their money back. I know a friend who is tracking (and paying) a few role playing game projects on Kickstarter.

Soldato
I was about to post this. Although it is a comic it is very very valid.

No
No it is no
Given the original lie posted as a fact, step 1, add a single letter to the end and the combination will never be cracked as they won't be looking for it.
Its rotten use of statistics

Soldato
109 quattuordecillion years
I win the internet. \:D/

e: My other password is even better: 8 quindecillion years. Easy to remember, too. HK, it's all about the search space of the password. Given potentially billions of guesses per second, the 'extra letter' would eventually be tried even if randomly. 'Looking for it' implies a dictionary based attack or similar.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't get this using such complex passwords, as are they ever brute forced by using a permutation method? or are they just intercepted, keylogged or stolen from someone elses database, thus rendering the complexity irrelevant?

With the compute power available to today's GPUs you can brute force passwords under 15-18 characters in not-unreasonable time frames. If you use an 8 character or less password you're asking for trouble especially if it contains a recognisable word.

Having said this, mostly they're either hacked from websites or phished via email.

Back
Top Bottom