Steam Link Quest App released

Soldato
Steam have released a Steam Link Quest app that can stream both Steam VR games and Steam 2D games to your headset.

I've tried this and it does work well at the lower settings, but has inconsistent jerky frame times when maxed out at the highest settings, despite FPS VR showing that the GPU and CPU times are all in the green.

Some experimentation to be done there. It's great there's more competition here, and I also think this is probably a test for the new Steam VR headset that's on its way at some point.

Soldato
Just tested this and it seems to work. The foveated encoding is annoying though that you can't raise it higher.

Tried Skyrim VR and Wallking Dead. Skyrim worked perfectly and looked great. Walking Dead looked amazing but the controls didn't work, couldn't get past the start up screen where it asks you to calibrate the view. Tried various controller mappings but didn't seem to make any difference.

I have no measurements or anything, but performance seemed to be fine. Changing the settings didn't seem to do very much. It didn't look much better or worse or perform any better or worse. I only tried Manual at 350mbps and the auto setting.

Soldato
OP
I’m struggling to see the benefit when you can do all that with virtual desktop
Sure, and Virtual Desktop can do more, but it's a paid app.

Also I'm sure this is also to help test wireless VR for the Deckard headset, which will probably include eyetracking.

Associate
Only tried HL:Alyx and that played beautifully. Could have been playing on my wired index.
I did have about a 10 second freeze once but I did have cheats on... I'll have a play over airlink then virtual desktop to see what its like. I haven't played HLA for years

Soldato
OP

Except as with Airlink and Virtual Desktop it doesn't "just work" for everyone, at least not as good for me as those other methods yet.

I'll be interested to find out how to fix the stuttering as that's the main issue for me. Looks rubbish on default settings and stutters continuously on max, without stressing the GPU. Looks like an encode/decode issue.

Airlink at 350mbit looks great and "just works" for me, plus the haptic feedback is great and my mic works, which isn't the case with Steam Link.

I'm sure Steam Link will mature to be probably the best way to play Steam VR games though.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Is there a way to use it with a cable?

The fact that it seems to facilitate dynamic foveated rendering (if you have a Quest Pro or similar) for all Steam Apps looks like a real win to me.

Soldato
OP
Is there a way to use it with a cable?

The fact that it seems to facilitate dynamic foveated rendering (if you have a Quest Pro or similar) for all Steam Apps looks like a real win to me.

No, Meta aren't giving Devs the access to the usb functionality the Devs need to do this.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hmm, seemingly not "quite" there yet.
I installed the SteamVR app onto my QP and was able to link happily to the Steam account on my PC.
Took me a while to find that to change SteamVR to use OpenXR can ONLY be accessed and updated within the SteamVR PC application. No option within the headset App.

Once done, I was able to fire up IL2, but on attempting to jump into an aircraft, the game crashed with an OpenXR call error.
On a positive note, it was clear that DFR was running whilst in the IL2 menu screen.

Guess a little patience is required.

Soldato
I think the encode video size is the size of the sweet spot for eye tracking, so quest 2 and 3 owners will want this maxed out. Pro owners can set to a level they don't notice when looking around with eyes rather than head movement.

Associate
is it possible to increase the bandwidth and turn foveated rendering off at all ?
LWwiJvQ.png
[/IMG]

Soldato
Ok I tried it with acc and to be honest it was great, the eye tracking and is it foveat rendering was cool.
Acc has never looked so good and run so smoothly.

Tried to get f1 23 bought through ea to run but no luck, runs with steam vr ok.

It is an interesting development.

Associate
i have just setup steamlink with assetto corsa competizione vr to try and make it look as good as when i use airling with adjustments so i changed the encode width to 2100 and changed recommended and target bandwidth to 600 and it looks a lot better.
cannot really handle higher bitrate on Airlink or steamlink using a isp wifi router and its trash :(

Back
Top Bottom