Strongest plasterboard fixing?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
These are the bees knees, used them for years - we use hilti ones at work which are a fortune. You should always use the tool though, you can get away with screwing it in but it spins the hole causing the little teeth to spin and chew up the plasterboard whereas the tool pushes it in to grip it.
This. The tool is a must.

Caporegime
Hollow wall fixings

Yep, these.

I've used this for everything heavy I've put up on plasterboard and not had one issue. They work very well.

As said, use the crimping tool.

Don't think you need to spend a fortune/get branded ones. I've always bought the cheapest ones on Amazon and they've been absolutely fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
aye the gripits are decent as long as there's enough space behind ya board

I've got gripits for quite a few things in my house. It's even holding up my rack with all my network gear, nas, micro servers etc. That must be pulling at least 30KG. Still feels rock solid. I think they're rated up to something like 75KG.

Soldato
Yep, these.

I've used this for everything heavy I've put up on plasterboard and not had one issue. They work very well.

As said, use the crimping tool.

Don't think you need to spend a fortune/get branded ones. I've always bought the cheapest ones on Amazon and they've been absolutely fine.

Just recently put a 2m floating shelf up with these and the cheap Amazon fixings into a lath & plaster wall and although it is only temporary I'd be more than happy to leave as is.

Caporegime
OP
Hi all, just following up on this.

I've had some fun this afternoon installing the shelving but I think it's a good result in the end. Obviously time will tell if the setup is manly enough, but it seems pretty strong.

I went with the GeeFix kit in the end as lots of people reckoned this was the strongest. I ended up using a combination of the GeeFix, Fischer DuoPowers, and actually managed to reach a stud for two of the shelves, as there was a stud I didn't realise was in a reachable position (anticipating told ya so's :p).

The GeeFix looks like this:

1b7gXsAh.jpeg

You stick the long bit through the 25mm (I used 24mm which was good) hole in the plasterboard and keep the round cap on your side, then pull the red cord to align the fitting horizontally. Then while pulling tight, you screw through the centre. Then you remove the red cord and screw the fitting into the plastic etc. (terrible instructions but there are YT vids).

8gmlWCYh.jpeg

Stud found! One side only but still...

Ju7mwKJh.jpeg

This bracket has, from left to right, wood screw to stud to the left of hole (hence wonky), Fischer DuoPower into plasterboard, and GeeFix fitting! Three different types in one bracket :o

reQjPGKh.jpeg

End result:

g44ZpKih.jpeg

Soldato
Looks good! I've never seen those GeeFix fitting's before, they look good. I've always used the hollow wall anchors where I am not able to find a stud and have been happy with those in the past.

I like using small 5mm neodymium magnet's to find studs, slide them over the wall and pretty quickly you will find screws that the plasterboard is held in place with.

Back
Top Bottom