Support finding replacement battery and charging port

Associate
TL;DR

Please advise on the most efficient way to guarantee that the battery and charging port I purchase are fully compatible with my old laptop.

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read and help me.

This is my first post, I have registered today for some advice.

I will pretence that I am up to date and confident with software, but that I have never delved into hardware.

I have an HP Envy 17-3002ea, purchased in July 2012.

The laptop served me without any hardware failure for just over a decade. However, sometime in 2022, it stopped charging. Upon testing the battery, it became apparent that it was no longer functional. My plan was to simply replace it. However, when I tested it on AC only, it did not turn on.

I am generally very handy and good at problem solving, so I decided to take my laptop apart to access the charging port.

Once I had identified the necessary screws to remove, the process was relatively straightforward. I kept the charging port plugged in throughout the procedure and, upon extending it out with the casing, the laptop suddenly powered on with AC only, without any issues.

It appears that the issue lies with the wiring of the charging port, as it functions when extended but not when in a 'C' shape to fit back inside the casing.

I would be grateful if you could advise me on the most efficient way to guarantee that the battery and charging port I purchase will be fully compatible with my old laptop.

Back
Top Bottom