Surround Sound and HiFi Cable

Associate
What do you all use. Years ago I picked up some used QED Silver XT and Anniversary cable with airlocks attached on each end at a very reasonable price from a HiFi forum market place.

We are soon moving, I am unable to take the cable with me, partly because we had a new French door fitted so part of the cable was buried under it out of sight, partly because two further runs of it are behind other immovable positions and skirting

I will be using decent surround sound, Monitor Audio radius 90 speakers and a Pro-Ject turntable.

Associate
Honestly, for AV set up cables such as from Kabeldirect which can be purchased on rainforest are a reasonable solution. Make sure you buy a decent thickness for long runs. 2.5mm seems like a sweet spot between retaining sound quality and fitting between side skirts etc., if you want to hide the cables.

My only concern is that the QED silver XT is silver plated oxygen free copper cable. Silver makes the sound little more detailed and sometimes bright in wrong speaker/amps combo. In my personal view, the difference between copper and silver is audible but not night & day. Plus once you run room EQ I doubt if you will be able to notice it at all.

Soldato
My main speakers (in front room) use 4mm DCSK, DCSK and Kabledirect are both German, so probably from same factory.

Don't skimp for the sake of £20, the cable your installing could be used for next 20, 30+ years.

Never owned silver speaker cable, but do own silver interconnects. It's true silver often brings out more detail / clarity.

Last edited:
Associate
When I installed our surround system I used the Van Damme Blue and to my old ears it sounds great.
Our room is only small so used 2.5mm.
It was a few years ago now, not sure of current cost, it was quite reasonable in comparison with what you can pay.

Soldato
When I installed our surround system I used the Van Damme Blue and to my old ears it sounds great.
Our room is only small so used 2.5mm.
It was a few years ago now, not sure of current cost, it was quite reasonable in comparison with what you can pay.

I forgot about Van Damme, their cables are very very good. Their studio cables are used by the likes of Abbey Road, often the Van Damme cables are better than 'Audiophile' cables costing many times more.

Soldato
My main speakers (in front room) use 4mm DCSK, DCSK and Kabledirect are both German, so probably from same factory.

Don't skimp for the sake of £20, the cable your installing could be used for next 20, 30+ years.

Never owned silver speaker cable, but do own silver interconnects. It's true silver often brings out more detail / clarity.
Why would it sound different? If anything I'd have thought silver to be worse as imo it tarnishes more than copper.

Don
Why would it sound different? If anything I'd have thought silver to be worse as imo it tarnishes more than copper.
It doesn't - it conducts all audio frequencies in the same way as copper, any difference is placebo or audiophile nonsense

Soldato
Associate
Currently I'm using Cat6 (Non-CCA) cables for all speakers. A bit controversial I know, my neighbor questions how capable it is of handling the kind of currents the Linn speakers and Tag McLaren amplifiers give/receive, to be fair he probably is a good judge considering he built my Tag amps and the Linn Aktiv crossover. He uses Linn cables on his setup (Aktiv Linn Nakamichi).

I'm curious to know others opinions on this.

Soldato
Alpha audio measured speaker cables and differences were shown on test equipment.

The things that effect cables are resistance, capacitance, dialectic and also the shielding if any on a speaker cable.

Silver is around 8% lower resistance than copper. Van Damme use silver coated copper for their interconnect cables, their cables are used professionally around the world. Silver cable is also used in aerospace, and ministry of defence uses silver cable for communication signals.

Soldato
Alpha audio measured speaker cables and differences were shown on test equipment.

The things that effect cables are resistance, capacitance, dialectic and also the shielding if any on a speaker cable.

Silver is around 8% lower resistance than copper. Van Damme use silver coated copper for their interconnect cables, their cables are used professionally around the world. Silver cable is also used in aerospace, and ministry of defence uses silver cable for communication signals.
Aerospace use silver plated copper. It's more about the insulation than the actual cable.
Namely high fire resistance, chemical resistant, and low smoke, plus abrasion resistance.
It is 100% nothing to do with it sounding better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom