Surround speaker upgrades / options

Soldato
This is my current setup in the living room, running a 5.1.2 setup.

From the picture below as you can see I have some ceiling wall mounter speakers but the left channel has now become distorted and needs to be replaced.

Within a reasonable budget (£150ish) I'm looking to have some speakers lower down but on stands or even wall mounted but head height. I have so many concerns like is that speaker placement even suitable if I plan to have it or should I find something with taller placement? I need to know what options I have really? Also I dont mind going for the 2nd hand option around the same budget.

2nd picture is just for reference with the front of the setup.

IMG-20220823-084422.jpg

IMG-20220823-084442.jpg

Soldato
Bipoles spread the sound out, typically at 30-45' degree angles, both sides are in phase- they are ideal where you need a wider spread of sound, usually because you are very close to the speakers. Search for the usual sites typing in bipole to get a few models. Monitor Audio make a few. Mission have a few budget models that are a few years old. Definitive Technology as well.

B&W also produced a couple of bipoles

There's also Tripoles and dipoles these function differently also. M&K are the most well known on tripoles. Kef, Boston Acoustics, NHT have made dipoles.

Soldato
that room looks way too small for speakers that big

It's not too bad, but definitely the center is in a bad location, and they're too close to the wall (even though they are front ported?)

Using bass management and room correction will help with some issues.

Back
Top Bottom