System build guide

Associate
Hi greywolf thanks for the informative post.

I'm building my first system in about a weeks time so it's nice to see threads like this. I've got the case(plus fans), HDD and DVD-RW drive all connected to the PSU but I've gotten a little confused with the 4 pin peripheral connectors.

The PSU as well as the fans have male AND female peripheral connectors does it matter which ones I plug which into? I'm assuming it doesn't but I'd rather check it with the experts then turn it on first time round and bust something.

Thanks for the help

Imran

Associate
Thanks for this guide. It has really helped me in coming back into the PC world after a bit of a hiatus.

EDIT: Snip, sorry wrong thread for that question.

Last edited:
Soldato
I couldn't be bothered reading it but from the pictures it looks like totally idiot proof guide : ).

Looks good apart from the fact that antec 300 must be the worst case I've ever used in my life.

Permabanned
Does no-one bother to use the fibre washers? I know the screwhole areas are isolated and the washers are a faff to fit, but surely it's a bit of extra separation between Mobo and case?

Len

Len

Associate
edit: oops, didn't read the only ask a qu comment

But just wanted to say great guide which helped me out immeasurably over the wkend. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Ah great your on:

1) I have two audio cables one labeled AC '97 and the other HD Audio then they have a load of single pin connectors coming off it. Which one do i connect? Also for the Power LED its quite a chunky one and cant see anywhere on the MOBO to put it.

2) Also have same problem with fan connectors. There are like 4 biggish pins. Noticed on my PSU there are connectors that will fit them, do i just slot the in here?

3) On the main power supply cable, (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/...d8246338ef.jpg) i have 4 remaining pin slots, in that photo they are all full but on mine there are 4 left at the end. Do i just leave them?

4) Also, got one cable left coming from the PSU which has holes for 4 pins which must come from the mobo yet I dont know where they go.

I'm pretty stuck here :p

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah great your on:

1) I have two audio cables one labeled AC '97 and the other HD Audio then they have a load of single pin connectors coming off it. Which one do i connect? Also for the Power LED its quite a chunky one and cant see anywhere on the MOBO to put it.

2) Also have same problem with fan connectors. There are like 4 biggish pins. Noticed on my PSU there are connectors that will fit them, do i just slot the in here?

3) On the main power supply cable, (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/...d8246338ef.jpg) i have 4 remaining pin slots, in that photo they are all full but on mine there are 4 left at the end. Do i just leave them?

4) Also, got one cable left coming from the PSU which has holes for 4 pins which must come from the mobo yet I dont know where they go.

I'm pretty stuck here :p

Thanks!

1) HD audio will be labled on the motherboard somewhere, usually the pin out is green, if not shown on the board it will be in the manual. I believe AC'97 is the older tech, and now used is the HD audio so only need to connect that if you are using a new board. Someone correct me if iam wrong.

The power LED will be in or around the front panel pin out, usually on the bottom right of the board. Look in the manual to see which pin is which. It will also be abbreviated on the board, with something like PWR_ LED, usually a 3 pin out.

2) The 4 pin big ish connectors will most likely be molex connector. So yes connect the fan(s) to a 4 pin molex.

3) Pic link does not work for me, but sounds like the board is a 20pin out and the PSU cable is a 24 pin out. Sometime the remaining 4 can be detached from the 24pin connector, depends on your PSU. If the board has four remaining holes then you need a 24 pin connected to it, like above the remaining 4 pins should be on the 20 +4 pin cable.

4) This sounds like a P4 cable and will not be needed, dependant on your motherboard. Is the power connected to the board in the top right as well?

It might help if you give me the motherboard name and PSU.

Hope this helps.

Associate
1) HD audio will be labled on the motherboard somewhere, usually the pin out is green, if not shown on the board it will be in the manual. I believe AC'97 is the older tech, and now used is the HD audio so only need to connect that if you are using a new board. Someone correct me if iam wrong.

The power LED will be in or around the front panel pin out, usually on the bottom right of the board. Look in the manual to see which pin is which. It will also be abbreviated on the board, with something like PWR_ LED, usually a 3 pin out.

2) The 4 pin big ish connectors will most likely be molex connector. So yes connect the fan(s) to a 4 pin molex.

3) Pic link does not work for me, but sounds like the board is a 20pin out and the PSU cable is a 24 pin out. Sometime the remaining 4 can be detached from the 24pin connector, depends on your PSU. If the board has four remaining holes then you need a 24 pin connected to it, like above the remaining 4 pins should be on the 20 +4 pin cable.

4) This sounds like a P4 cable and will not be needed, dependant on your motherboard. Is the power connected to the board in the top right as well?

It might help if you give me the motherboard name and PSU.

Hope this helps.

Hey ok, first one is sorted, yes the fans are molex (Googled) and yes the cable does have a 4 pin off the 20 but it has little notches on the side preventing me from pushing it in.

The Power LED is a molex which may be for the case LEDs? The fan for the case is LED so is that just needed to be connected to a molex?

The cable has P6 wrote on it if that's any help?

Associate
OP
Hey ok, first one is sorted, yes the fans are molex (Googled) and yes the cable does have a 4 pin off the 20 but it has little notches on the side preventing me from pushing it in.

The cable has P6 wrote on it if that's any help?

Remove the 20 pin if its in the board and then u can clip or slide the 4 pin to it.

The P6 will be for the motherboard, not needed if you have already connected the power in the top left of the board ie a 8 pin.

Associate
Just to help out a little here, unsure if its already been mentioned, the Cables that go around the same place as the power switch cable are generally NOT color coded, I presumed they were in my first build only to fin it didnt work :(

Back
Top Bottom