Talk to me about computer desks...

Soldato
At my old house, I had a custom desk built into the alcove in the living room. It wasn't pretty but it was strong and it worked for my needs.

Here in my new place that is not an option, the alcoves are too small and I've been using a "gaming desk" I picked up cheap on Gumtree. The PC is currently sitting on an old steel framed chair and quite frankly I'm sick of looking at it after 6 months.

So I need a new desk setup, I've been looking at going down the almost obligatory Alex drawers Ikea desk hack route with a nice kitchen counter work top etc but I'm a little concerned with weight. I read somewhere that Alex drawers can support up to 100lbs of weight, but my system is damn heavy (o11 Dynamic XL, triple rad setup with distro plate) and I'm a little concerned about it holding that, plus monitor etc. Can anyone put my mind at ease with this?

If not can I get some other recommendations for something large and sturdy that I can maybe stick alex drawers underneath, as I want the storage? I did see a Jayztwocents video a while back where he got this really solid looking desk that looked perfect but I can't find anything similar over here. Think it was called the goliath desk or something.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Don
Some thoughts in the thread above yours

Soldato
OP
Some thoughts in the thread above yours

Didn't see that pal, thanks

Soldato
I read somewhere that Alex drawers can support up to 100lbs of weight, but my system is damn heavy (o11 Dynamic XL, triple rad setup with distro plate) and I'm a little concerned about it holding that, plus monitor etc. Can anyone put my mind at ease with this?
Worth noting that if this is the case, then each Alex would support 100lb (45kg) giving you 90kg of actual desk capacity.

Soldato
I'd be more than happy to stand on my alex hacky built desk, and I'm not exactly light at ~100kg!

What you use for the desktop is probably more important than the drawers - if it's the cheap cardboard hexagon filled composite then I'd be wary, but mine is 28mm solid oak, and solid is definitely the word I'd use to describe it (along with ******* heavy :p )

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd be more than happy to stand on my alex hacky built desk, and I'm not exactly light at ~100kg!

What you use for the desktop is probably more important than the drawers - if it's the cheap cardboard hexagon filled composite then I'd be wary, but mine is 28mm solid oak, and solid is definitely the word I'd use to describe it (along with ******* heavy :p )

Would you be happy to stand just on the alex drawers? Lol

Do you have any pictures?

I'll definitely be using solid oak worktop as I know a kitchen fitter who can get them at a discounted price.

Soldato
Would you be happy to stand just on the alex drawers? Lol

Do you have any pictures?

I'll definitely be using solid oak worktop as I know a kitchen fitter who can get them at a discounted price.
Other than being worried about them tipping over, yeah, I reckon they'd be ok, I'll try to get a photo today (although it's embarrassingly messy ATM :p )

Associate
I use Alex drawers and 180cm Ikea work top.
Stood on the desk a number of times when putting shelving above it and I'm around 100kg.
As it's a shorter worktop, less/no chance of sag.

Associate
Hijacking the thread a little to say does anyone have any recommendations other than the Alex drawers? Not a huge fan of them myself but would like to build something sturdy along the same lines.

Soldato
OP
Hijacking the thread a little to say does anyone have any recommendations other than the Alex drawers? Not a huge fan of them myself but would like to build something sturdy along the same lines.

How very dare you! Haha

Right now, I'm maybe 97% sure they'll hold the weight but I'm thinking either some steel legs or a batton along the wall out of sight as I've already got the timber for that

Associate
I have a pair of Alexs holding up my desk, its 2 sheets of 18mm ply glued together. It's about 1.8m wide and I did buy one of the ikea extra desk leg things in case it sagged in the middle, however there was no need. It's very sturdy, no flex at all, even with a monitor arm with a 27" screen and nuc on the back of of it. I'm really impressed with the strength of the drawers to.

AP1GczNKy8andWuzmLsUf6mkDJjg64IbE0LnUEkIl3e4HtEZ7mF8FlUBRbzTcVE_d_AOxRDYhVd6jV1U5eqco7TSCQQHM5xTR61W9PuZHR8gl4Y24SqQSxWq1yfAcx0z5JpV1T5efJuwq57_wE_UklgyZ1bzLQ=w1184-h890-s-no-gm

AP1GczM0kDPxLPO0un8yZ7lhUAzGiiNl_XmJLXF8n9AH1wdlLg-8ifabLteUjhL-zLGpdtF2L1YBPfcqaZXJW3fxrvB36u1bsLSizAvU-GrZw6vS16fIOGD64_ydxpvi2MkWPsPko2q6Thygyp6OgEj2PGmvcQ=w1187-h890-s-no-gm

Dave

Soldato
Personally, if I was sorting out a new desk I'd 100% put it on an height adjustable setup. Even if you don't want to go full sit/stand, being able to adjust it up or down a short distance to find your perfect sitting position is worth it, imo.

100% this. It’s the way to go.

You use to be able to buy fully Jarvis legs on their own but since HM bought them you can’t. Best way is to buy from a brand called flexispot then get a hard wood desk cut to the size you require from worktop express.

Happy days.

Or just buy a fully Jarvis one from HM.

Soldato
OP
So my PC comes in at a whopping 27kg, almost 60lbs but that still leaves quite a bit of headroom. So I'm going to pick up one akex drawers now to put the pc on to tidy my space up a bit and sort my desk out once they redo the wall in my living room

Back
Top Bottom