The 50k 10 Year Project / Show Car

Associate
Thought this would be an interesting one as a discussion.

So you have 10 year goal and a 50K budget to build a Project / Show Car.

• What do you buy and why? Jap > German > Kit car > Classic Restoration etc.
  • Modification (Looks)> Paint / Wrap / Body Kit / Wheels etc
  • Modifications (Performance) > Wheels / Suspension / Tuning Etc
  • BHP TARGET > 300 / 400 / 500+

Soldato
I have modified and built kit cars in the past. My last project may have been to convert my already converted V8 RX7 to electric. Most likely Tesla running gear.

Now we're only talking 5-7 years prior but even then the cost and complexity of the parts/kits available was going to be in the region of £50K. So I bought a Model 3 instead!

These days with companies such as Electric Classic Cars offering turn key conversions I'd probably find an older car I liked the look of but didn't want to deal with the old mechanicals.

Associate
I have modified and built kit cars in the past. My last project may have been to convert my already converted V8 RX7 to electric. Most likely Tesla running gear.

Now we're only talking 5-7 years prior but even then the cost and complexity of the parts/kits available was going to be in the region of £50K. So I bought a Model 3 instead!

These days with companies such as Electric Classic Cars offering turn key conversions I'd probably find an older car I liked the look of but didn't want to deal with the old mechanicals.
I also have an LS3 swapped RX7 which I twin turbod.

It's bad enough for the rotards, that we took the rotary out. But to make it electric would send them over the edge!

OcUK Staff
E30 325i Sport Manual Mtec II
Either keep stock and fully restore it so perfect body/interior.

Or get an E30 2DR body, drop in an S50B30/32 from an E36 M3 so 280-330HP, about 1100kg. Or if feeling rather crazy, drop in the V10 M5 engine, its not easy but it can do be done.

Don
I'd proably go with something interesting and classic. Something like a Triumph Stag V8 and restore to showroom condition.
If I was going down the highly modified route an LS swapped RX8 would be my first choice.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Think Project Binky; but with a Delorean.

Make it the car it should have been, modernise the interior & chassis but keep it looking stock but with a decent stance and wheel fitment. I'd shoot for ~350-400bhp with a lightweight V6 of some description and lose as much weight as possible everywhere else. It would have to be bale to handle every day use and abuse. I'd want it to be a driver. Wouldn't need to worry about a paint job either!

If not, for me I'd love the ultimate drivers car that's borderline lairy, something like this, but I doubt 50k would do it; unless I TurboToaster it :D

Soldato
If you can do this for £50k, then this:
OEQ5dhyh.jpg

This looked epic in the flesh.

(and 0.5 bonus points if you can spot the celeb in under 30 seconds lurking in the picture)

Soldato
I dont see the point of having a very fast car on public roads so it would have to be some type of Caterham for a race course.

Associate
Weirdly lots of RX7 swap content :cry:.

I'd want to 3 rotor my RX8. Stock looking R3 with big brakes, fully NA peripheral ported 3 rotor. So somewhere around 300bhp or so, with the soundtrack to match. All about that scream.

Soldato
Not including buying, I'm not far off £50K with the Evo - rebuilt from top to bottom, 560bhp. Impreza maybe half that not including buying, all rebuilt except engine/transmission rebuild 407bhp.
53153036125_32a2d37803_c.jpg

Associate
OP
Not including buying, I'm not far off £50K with the Evo - rebuilt from top to bottom, 560bhp. Impreza maybe half that not including buying, all rebuilt except engine/transmission rebuild 407bhp.
53153036125_32a2d37803_c.jpg
Thats a dream duo there !

I had a black 07 Hawkeye but had to sell few years ago due to other costs. Would love another one running 500+BHP

Getting another then using this as the basis of the power plant for long term reliability :) and if ever came into cash then chase the 1000BHP lol

Back
Top Bottom