The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
OP
My family own some land, about 11 or 13 acres, it has a public footpath through it, would I be able to shoot there or would I get in trouble?

We have a few old rifles sitting round and my cousin just bought 1 a week ago.

You need to be 50 feet away from the center of a highway (i.e. road). Although the path itself, in this case, would be classed as public land, so you'd be breaking the law if you set foot on it with the gun (without a good reason, such as crossing it!). I think in this case you'd be fine, but worth phoning the local plod to check.

Associate
I wanted that gun so bad before I got the S410. It looks so damn good (the lightweight version). Nice clear scope too.

Ohh nice rifle.

It is a tad heavy but balances really well. Having a moderator on the end does upset the balance a little but makes it whisper quiet.

This thread reminds me. I should really get it serviced this year.

Associate
You need to be 50 feet away from the center of a highway (i.e. road). Although the path itself, in this case, would be classed as public land, so you'd be breaking the law if you set foot on it with the gun (without a good reason, such as crossing it!). I think in this case you'd be fine, but worth phoning the local plod to check.

Actually you're missing a bit:
Highways

It is an offence to fire any weapon within 50 feet of the centre of any roadway, if by doing so you cause a nuisance. This offence could be committed by someone on private property close to a road who used a gun in a way which upset people on the road.

Soldato
If you're going to be doing HFT as well as a little hunting, i'd suggest sticking with a .177. It's a flatter trajectory (sp?) and a little more forgiving than .22. Avoid the .20 (that's if the AA comes in .20) as the pellet selection is minimal.

I'm using a Daystate AirRanger at the moment. Very nice, although a bit heavier than my mates theoben.

As mentioned, second hand prices are quite high so consider new, but, checkout airgunbbs as there's often some bargains on there from reputable sellers.

Soldato
OP
If you're going to be doing HFT as well as a little hunting, i'd suggest sticking with a .177. It's a flatter trajectory (sp?) and a little more forgiving than .22. Avoid the .20 (that's if the AA comes in .20) as the pellet selection is minimal.

I'm using a Daystate AirRanger at the moment. Very nice, although a bit heavier than my mates theoben.

As mentioned, second hand prices are quite high so consider new, but, checkout airgunbbs as there's often some bargains on there from reputable sellers.

For some reason, airgunbbs.com has a "registration disabled by the administrator" message up, so I can't sign up.

Was told the same about .177 from quite a few folk, so going for that :)

Soldato
cool.....good time of year to get out in the field. Bunnies are out and about now!

I'm hoping to get out on my shoot in the next couple of weeks. Waiting for the farmer to do the first cut so you can actually see them!

Soldato
For some reason, airgunbbs.com has a "registration disabled by the administrator" message up, so I can't sign up.

Was told the same about .177 from quite a few folk, so going for that :)

airgunbbs run a batch registration process. they only allow registration during a certain window of time when theres an admin online.

i use http://www.airgunforum.net, really good british forum.

Soldato
Reminds me, need to find out when my dads next off to Catterick - I wanna have a try of the Mosin and Kar98. Full length version though, should be more accurate.

Apparently the Lee Enfield has a bit of a rubbish barrel so the groupings are rubbish, but the Mosin hasnt seen much work. I'd love to shoot some water melons or something with them, just to see what happens!

Associate
I have a .22 Tempest (i think) nice little hand gun, but i think needs to be resprung but haven't got any cash for it to be sorted.

My dad has a .117 air rifle which is a nice peice of kit, fairly old but is a good work horse. Used on my nans farm for the rabbits and some rats.

trO

trO

Associate
Had a few Weihrauch's as a teen, don't own anything now, but close friend of mine takes me out sometimes...whether its lamping or early morning Rabbits or Pigeons in a hide with a couple of Shoties.....
I be leave a guy I knew started the company that did the first Venom tuning.. Thats going back a few years.... cant remember his name....It was based around the Colley gate area...
The Company was called Venom Arms.....for the 1st few years in business they used to fix a brass plate to the stock of the rifle....

Last edited:
Soldato
how about some pictures? will take some snaps of mines in a mo.

IMG_1403-1.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

Here are a couple of mine. First is a Webley Sidewinder that i sadly no longer own :(. Beautiful gun with walnut stock and mirror finished bluing. Shot sweet as a nut with the Venom Lazaglide tuning and the barrel has a shroud that doubled as an integrated silencer.

Second pic is my HW97k that has been tuned by Venom. Nice enough gun but a bit on the heavy side.

I'll take the photos down if anyone objects.

Commissario
Which are now illegal if you didn't get a FAC in 2004.

£250 worth of pistol down the drain. :(

Why didn't you get an FAC back then? Simply owning the pistol was justification so you'd have got it, I used it as a way of expanding my armoury so that it now contains a lot more than just the Brococks (of which I have a quantity :))

Back
Top Bottom