Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

What AV do you use?

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm using a laptop that changes graphics depending on if I'm gaming or not.

I usually use avast but it kept blocking the gpu changes, so I'm wondering if just using Windows Defender might be ok?

I've heard if I install DefenderUI it gives more security on the system.

Soldato

I usually use avast but it kept blocking the gpu changes, so I'm wondering if just using Windows Defender might be ok?

Defender's been more than enough these days. No need for anything else.

Soldato
In the past I used to bounce between BitDefender/Avast and a couple others each year just to see what's new etc an see how they compare with what I'd normally use anyway which is Defender.

After a week always went back to Defender. The last test was last year in fact trying BitDefender free again when it got an update and it didn't do anything that Defender wasn't doing anyway, and Defender gets the same daily updates sometimes twice daily. Defender is more integrated into Windows too and I trust it isn't going to install a database update that flags core Windows files as an issue and suddenly I can't boot into Windows like has been the case with 3rd party Vs numerous times before.

The gist of it is that for many years now Defender is all that has been needed for 99% of users, this is still the case, and Defender has had some significant upgrades to its functions in recent years too.

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of ransomware etc will be blocked before the resident AV even catches wind of it if you are using an adblocker on your browser. uBlock Origin has default lists that manage control over blocking known ransomware and malware URLs, these lists are internally updates automatically as well so that's the first line of defence leaving the AV to do its thing for locally launched files, apps and LAN activity.

Example:

Also keep in mind that no AV installation is 100% perfect, it is simply impossible to catch 100% of everything, if that was the case then that software would instantly become the only AV used by anyone and everyone.
I thought BitDefender free was discontinued and they only had the update from 2020.

I've been using defender for about a month now, the biggest issue ive had is it keeps blocking everything when installing something new. opening new apps mostly and some other minor things mostly due to the ransomware protection (Controlled folder access). The 2nd issue ive had is the firewall its a dated and not as simple as avast, since i've been using the Avast firewall which was very simple and I've forgotten how to use the windows built in one. its a problem every time.

I've never heard of DefenderUI can anyone else shed some light on it.

Last edited:
Associate
Been using Malwarebytes for 5 years a freebie from RBS had it on everything desktop, tablets, phones, laptops but they have pulled the plug on it as of end of May, damn it's £79.99 per year for 5 devices

Soldato
Been using Malwarebytes for 5 years a freebie from RBS had it on everything desktop, tablets, phones, laptops but they have pulled the plug on it as of end of May, damn it's £79.99 per year for 5 devices
I use Malwarebytes Free as a spyware scanner and 2nd antivirus, I would have got the paid, if they did not switch over to the monthly option a few years ago.

Last edited:
Associate
Customers will be given the option to retain from 1-20 licences for an 85% discount from the RBS web site I can't see any info whatsoever in the malwarebytes account I have nor the online banking unless it come up on 1st of June, i'll be jumping ship if not cheaper options out there.

edit : emails to be sent out on the 14th it's saying regarding this discount missed that bit :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom