• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Associate
Now that the r9 290x is finally released into the wild I thought a seperate thread about the r9 290 would be helpful for people who are interested in this card. To get things going what do people think the price point will be now that we know the pricing of the 290x is lower than most people think?

Do you think the 290 will beat the 780 or just be below it but undercut the price by a lot? I think the price for performance the 290 will be excellent and guessing it will be around the £340 mark

Caporegime
The only difference is the core clock is lower. The 290 could be bargain of the century. I see no reason why a 290 can't compete with a 290X/Titan. Unless im missing something.

OcUK Staff
The only difference is the core clock is lower. The 290 could be bargain of the century. I see no reason why a 290 can't compete with a 290X/Titan. Unless im missing something.

Less stream processors too.

R290 overclocked can beat R290X at stock speeds. :)

Associate
OP
Totally why I'm holding out for a 290. If a 780 comes around at a great price then I might be swayed due to the noise/heat. It's become very interesting now, Gibbo says he's ordered a 1000 of these I think compared to 300 290x's so I think he know's these will be a hot seller thanks to a good price point. Think he mentioned he thinks they'll be around the 350 mark in another thread.

Do you know if anythings been said about if people can preorder them? Will be good to see some benchmarks in the coming week as all we've heard about is the 290x so hopefully the 290 will get some leak love soon

Soldato
Totally why I'm holding out for a 290. If a 780 comes around at a great price then I might be swayed due to the noise/heat. It's become very interesting now, Gibbo says he's ordered a 1000 of these I think compared to 300 290x's so I think he know's these will be a hot seller thanks to a good price point. Think he mentioned he thinks they'll be around the 350 mark in another thread.

Do you know if anythings been said about if people can preorder them? Will be good to see some benchmarks in the coming week as all we've heard about is the 290x so hopefully the 290 will get some leak love soon

the 290 will be the value king in that series with 280x as a contender.
even if it has some shaders less I suspect we see major difference in eyefinity/4k settings in most games.

I hold out for that 290 myself.

Associate
im happy with my card atm but if its a good price i would get a 290 anyway if performance isn't much different to a 780/290x

i'd rather wait it out though and see what the non reference cards are like for the 290x and 290 before i make my mind up.

Associate
OP
According to rumours yes. Gibbo has said it will be late next week so my guess is that it's the 31st. I feel another 5am start next week is on the cards. Wasn't planning on getting up this morning as didn't preorder but woke up naturally at 4:55am and thought 'what the hell' I'll have a peek

31st innit?

Back
Top Bottom