The Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO Owners Thread....

Soldato
OP
UEFI, aint got a clue, do i need to do anything special when i install win 7 or 10 onto my new pc useing the hero viii motherbard ? i came across the link below, all i have ever done in the past is chuck my operating system disc in the drive and install, if i dont install win 7 or win 10 as uefi, does that mean i wont see the fancy hero viii bios screens, i have only ever installed win xp before, and that had the old black and white low res bios, im really confused about this UEFI thing.

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20150609153048030&board_id=1&model=Z97-DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Soldato
Just noticed, on the asus driver download website for this board, there is no Intel USB3.0 Controller Driver for windows 10, but there is for windows 7, any ideal ?

it is there under usb

Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.24.0 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit / 8.1 64bit.
Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.26.1 for Windows10 64bit.

UEFI, aint got a clue, do i need to do anything special when i install win 7 or 10 onto my new pc useing the hero viii motherbard ? i came across the link below, all i have ever done in the past is chuck my operating system disc in the drive and install, if i dont install win 7 or win 10 as uefi, does that mean i wont see the fancy hero viii bios screens, i have only ever installed win xp before, and that had the old black and white low res bios, im really confused about this UEFI thing.

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20150609153048030&board_id=1&model=Z97-DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

i install from usb flash stick, saves using DVD/CD, hardly use DVD/CD's anymore for anything. i use windows download tool to put iso on USB and pc just boots into that and starts installing, it will be the same if on DVD,

i didnt even set it to boot from it, some how it knew i had no windows installed and it booted installation from USB

Soldato
OP
Thats just the Asmedia 3.1 usb driver(look under win 7 64bit and itel usb 3 drivers are there), thats not intel usb 3 drivers, also yes i install from usb stick, but you have to use rufus to make a bootable uefi usb install, your no because your have 3 partitions, so i reckon your just seeing the efi/uefi asus bios interface.

Soldato
Thats just the Asmedia 3.1 usb driver(look under win 7 64bit and itel usb 3 drivers are there), thats not intel usb 3 drivers, also yes i install from usb stick, but you have to use rufus to make a bootable uefi usb install, your no because your have 3 partitions, so i reckon your just seeing the efi/uefi asus bios interface.

it uses ASMedia chip for usb 3.1 and intel for usb 3.0 , when looking at my device manager, for windows 10 on there site there have no intel drivers listed for usb 3.0 , but its working fine for me and getting full usb 3.0 speeds its using the windows drivers, maybe they know windows 10 will install it fine

i have no idea about rest, i just used windows download tool which made usb with windows bootable and it gave me option which drive i wanted windows to be installed on

Soldato
OP
Yeh i think you may be right, i reckon windows 10 have got usb3 drivers built it, maybe 10 also boots and installs from UEFI as default now, you can tell if your useing UEFI by pressing Windows Key + r , then typing MSINFO32 in, then look at bios mode, Legacy is old UEFI is new.

Soldato
OP
Got what seems a major problem when connecting my Evga G2 850 watt power supply EPS12V/CPU 8 pin cable to the hero viii 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug on motherboard, the 2 x 4 connectors coming from the power supply, only one matches up with the 8 pin connector on board ? am i meant to connect only 1 then ? surely i need all the 8 pin connector connected ? Help!

Soldato
OP
Thx for confirmation, what confused me was, it was dated 4th august, and said Noctua offers free Skylake upgrade, and my mounting kit looked different to what they were offering, but i checked on my box that arrived today, and it said i had the SecuFirm2, thx for reply.

Soldato
Thx for confirmation, what confused me was, it was dated 4th august, and said Noctua offers free Skylake upgrade, and my mounting kit looked different to what they were offering, but i checked on my box that arrived today, and it said i had the SecuFirm2, thx for reply.

any coolers that support 115X , will fit :)

mine Noctua D14 , 6700k is idle 28c fans only spinning at 700rpm, load 45c spins 900rpm , can always increase speed

Soldato
OP
Yeh i got it into my little case ;), i put both fans onto the one cpu header, so they will work together, i did not use the cpu extra fan slot.
dh14_in_case.jpg

Back
Top Bottom