The best thermal paste to get?

Man of Honour
To demonstrate what I mean these are the application notes from some popular pastes:

Arctic said:
The ARCTIC MX-6 is a carbon filler-based thermal paste and reaches its maximum performance without burn-in, directly after application and distribution. It achieves all of this without any reputed ingredients, such as expensive diamond dust or various precious metal particles. The silicone gel used as a carrier enables optimal distribution, which is achieved through even contact pressure, for example when mounting the heat sink.

Even though we recommend to spread the thermal paste evenly across the whole surface you can alternatively also draw a thin X across your chip. The mounting pressure will spread the thermal paste between the two surfaces. However, make sure not to use too much paste.

Do NOT spread the line of thermal compound out.

When you place the heatsink on the top of the metal cap, the line of thermal compound will spread out like the pink oval pattern on top of the metal cap shown in photo QP4. Allowing the mounted heatsink to spread the thermal compound insures proper coverage, minimizes air bubbles and allows an optimum bond line between the two surfaces.

Soldato
That's too anecdotal for me and I would need factual data driven evidence from preferably more than one source to see what difference it makes.

Besides it doesn't change my overall summary; there is little difference between pastes and the cheapest per gram decent paste (MX-4 I believe) is more than adequate for the vast majority.

Man of Honour
That's too anecdotal for me and I would need factual data driven evidence from preferably more than one source to see what difference it makes.

Besides it doesn't change my overall summary; there is little difference between pastes and the cheapest per gram decent paste (MX-4 I believe) is more than adequate for the vast majority.

Fair enough, personally I've been using the stuff for 20 years over 100s of builds :s so have a general idea.

EDIT: Old one now without many newer pastes but https://archive.techplayboy.com/indexffb1.html?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62 done by someone who took the time to do a proper job showing for reference that AS-5 when properly applied will match or beat Gelid GC-Extreme (for example with the earlier graph).

Being an older test it is possible newer CPUs require different strengths, and formulas have been tweaked since, but my experience hasn't suggested it changes much.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough, personally I've been using the stuff for 20 years over 100s of builds :s so have a general idea.

EDIT: Old one now without many newer pastes but https://archive.techplayboy.com/indexffb1.html?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62 done by someone who took the time to do a proper job showing for reference that AS-5 when properly applied will match or beat Gelid GC-Extreme (for example with the earlier graph).

Being an older test it is possible newer CPUs require different strengths, and formulas have been tweaked since, but my experience hasn't suggested it changes much.
This kind of covers what I was saying.

As he says in his conclusion "...Just make sure you cover the whole thing and beyond that it's really not worth worrying about..."

Soldato
IC Diamond is the best paste I've ever used, it seemingly never goes off. Innovation cooling claim the paste can be used for military applications and I believe it.

I have computers dating back to 2012 and the paste is still fine, I've never once in my live had to re-apply it. Temps on the paste were really good, at least a match for MX-4.

Downside, you can't buy it in UK any more. No idea what's happened maybe someone in this thread can explain why it's no longer available.

Soldato
IC Diamond is the best paste I've ever used, it seemingly never goes off. Innovation cooling claim the paste can be used for military applications and I believe it.

I have computers dating back to 2012 and the paste is still fine, I've never once in my live had to re-apply it. Temps on the paste were really good, at least a match for MX-4.

Downside, you can't buy it in UK any more. No idea what's happened maybe someone in this thread can explain why it's no longer available.
You can get JP-DX-1 and JP-DX-2 from the Japanese rainforest. Closest you will get I guess.

Man of Honour
This kind of covers what I was saying.

As he says in his conclusion "...Just make sure you cover the whole thing and beyond that it's really not worth worrying about..."

They are using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut in the video - which says in the application instructions "spread the thermal paste evenly across the whole surface" (which is why it comes with an applicator), other pastes are different. Sure at the end of the day the differences are often marginal, though incorrect application can also result in the applied lifespan of a paste being shorter than it should be.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Basically my opinion, MX-4 unless you are using like an Intel 14th gen where MX-6 can have advantages or if you are determined to hand spread it go with something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is designed for it and can actually benefit from that application rather than potentially being degraded by it (though it is expensive for largely insignificant gains).

EDIT: Personally I still use AS-5 for a lot of stuff, though I've used MX-6 with some recent CPUs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Has anyone here tried Arctic MX-6 yet? If so how does it compare to MX-4?

I don't have any scientific results and don't use MX-4 that much myself, but in my experience on recent Intel CPUs MX-6 it can be around 2C better under heavy multi-threading loads but is otherwise much of a muchness. People say MX-4 is easier to apply but unless you are spreading it on a Threadripper or something it isn't really a factor.

Some people claiming 5C better than MX-4 but from what I can see that is because they aren't applying MX-4 properly and degrading its performance.

Soldato
If I could pick only one, it would be AS-5.
I’m still using my first ever tube of Arctic silver 5 and it’s still going, I don’t change my CPU as often these days but it continues to do the job. Stuff seems to last forever. Using on my 5800X3D.

Might try the MX4 if/when I ever finish this AS5.

Back
Top Bottom