The CCNA/Cisco Certifications Thread

Associate
Well had my first day on the ICND1 course and I can't say I've really learnt anything new that I don't already really know. Looks like the ICND1 has changed quite a bit this year with a lot more content than previous years. Enjoying the course so far though!

Who are you doing you ICND1 through? What sort of stuff did they cover on the first day?

Soldato
Guys, just a quick one, whats the best way to emulate a switch in your lab in GNS3, I just realised they dont official support switch (catalyst) emulation, so far I have some 2691 routers in my GNS3 Lab so far.

There are some basic switches in GNS3, but are literally a dialogue box, choose your switch port, choose your VLAN ID, choose the mode all from drop down boxes, and thats it, nothing like configuring a catalyst switch via command line.

EDIT: for now I have just added a 3745 Router IOS image, with a 16 port switch module so I will use this to emulate a switch

Last edited:
Associate
OP
GNS3 can't emulate Cisco switches.

You can install an EtherSwitch Module in to a router and it will behave similarly to a switch, but not exactly the same.

Personally I bought a couple of real switches, then bridged them in to GNS3. Seems to work just fine. :)

On an unrelated note: CCNP Switch exam scheduled for the 31st of this month!

Soldato
It's OK, I have found a way to get around it

Code:
SW01#show version
Cisco IOS Software, 3700 Software (C3745-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(25c

Code:
SW01#show ip int brief
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protoco                                                                                     l
FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down                                                                                        
FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/0            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/1            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/2            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/3            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/4            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/5            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/6            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/7            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/8            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down                                                                                        
FastEthernet1/9            unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet1/10           unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet1/11           unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet1/12           unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet1/13           unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet1/14           unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
FastEthernet1/15           unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
Vlan1                      unassigned      YES unset  up                    down
SW01#

This should be good enough :)

Last edited:
Soldato
That is an EtherSwitch Module inside a 3700 series router. :)

Bear in mind there will be some differences between the ESM and an actual switch. For the CCNA though it's pretty good.

Aslong as I can do the main functionality of what is asked in ICND1 and ICND2 this should be ok

Soldato
There are quite a few people who just use GNS3 so you should be good to go.

If there are any missing features then I could allow you to remotely access my lab for 2-3 hours at a time if needed
for anything that can't be done in GNS3. :)

How generous :) thanks will let you know if I run in to anything.

I have been using packet tracer really but thought it would be good setting up a spare PC under my desk as a LAB machine, and installing GNS3, not just for the ICND1 and 2 revision, but so I can also lab in work whilst testing stuff. I can RDP to it in work or at home.

Xez

Xez

Associate
Who are you doing you ICND1 through? What sort of stuff did they cover on the first day?

It was mainly network topology's on the first day. I'm currently learning this with QA and the teacher is brilliant and explains things very well.

My main weak point is subnetting and variable length subnetting. Everything else I'm comfortable with. Learning IPv6 tomorrow but it isn't as in depth as it is in ICND2.

Associate
It was mainly network topology's on the first day. I'm currently learning this with QA and the teacher is brilliant and explains things very well.

My main weak point is subnetting and variable length subnetting. Everything else I'm comfortable with. Learning IPv6 tomorrow but it isn't as in depth as it is in ICND2.

That's good to know, I'm booked in with QA as well.

Soldato
Its amazing to hear that something from QA is good. From the apprentice training aspect they do, its atrocious. They encourage using brain dumps... the vce software or whatever it is called is on the computers as standard and there are plenty of dumps in the network share.
(Maidenhead and Reading centre)

Soldato
I am trying to work out a good base topology to get me going, does this look ok so far? obviously there is no links yet. I want to create a few clusters of host machines in different VLAN's.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything or needs adjusting, I will be creating a few different topologies based on what I run in to, but wanted to get something set-up.

There is no links yet

topology.jpg

Soldato
I am trying to work out a good base topology to get me going, does this look ok so far? obviously there is no links yet. I want to create a few clusters of host machines in different VLAN's.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything or needs adjusting, I will be creating a few different topologies based on what I run in to, but wanted to get something set-up.

Looks good for the basics, you're not going to be 100% up to date with switching using the etherswitch modules, but it's better than nothing - I also can't remember whether spanning-tree works properly or not, but you'll be able to configure and understand basic VLANS.

As for for the routing topology, you could configure a mix of ethernet and serial links then focus on basic routing, addressing, ACLs etc, (I think they only test RIPv2 in ICND1) so you should be able to cover most of that stuff off with that topology :)

Associate
OP
If the ESM's support STP, you'll want a few switches that are linked together for that as well as a couple of other things.

You'll also want a frame relay switch for some of your labs too. :)

In response to V-Spec's comment on RIPv2 in ICND1, they've removed RIP and introduced OSPF. A mixture of serial and ethernet links as he suggested is a good idea. :)

Soldato
If the ESM's support STP, you'll want a few switches that are linked together for that as well as a couple of other things.

You'll also want a frame relay switch for some of your labs too. :)

Looks good for the basics, you're not going to be 100% up to date with switching using the etherswitch modules, but it's better than nothing - I also can't remember whether spanning-tree works properly or not, but you'll be able to configure and understand basic VLANS.

As for for the routing topology, you could configure a mix of ethernet and serial links then focus on basic routing, addressing, ACLs etc, (I think they only test RIPv2 in ICND1) so you should be able to cover most of that stuff off with that topology :)

Thanks guys, I will add these tomorrow and I will see if it works, I did have a quick blitz through the module itself and they were showing signs of spanning-tree when I did ? so I guess its a test, see if it works, and if there is any bugs but yeah I will add some more nodes

Will try and update tomorrow (aslong as work is not too busy) and provide an update if it's for use for anyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom