Soldato
Thought I'd make a DevOps engineering thread to discuss any topics related to our field.

I will start off with a question, does any one know any good material to learn Crossplane?

The only thing I have found is a book.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently applied for a DevOps Engineer role. I have over 12 years of experience as a software developer and thought it would be an interesting, relevant, but slightly different role. My application was turned down due to never actually holding the title 'DevOps Engineer'. However, I've managed the full stack of web development for 10+ years (coding practices, CI, releases, hosting, server management, etc.), but they simply ignored this and didn't give me a second look (they basically told me that when I asked).

Am I not really understanding what's truly involved in a DevOps Engineer role? Maybe I am underestimating what you guys do. No offence intended, I am genuinely interested in the role! :)

Soldato
OP
I recently applied for a DevOps Engineer role. I have over 12 years of experience as a software developer and thought it would be an interesting, relevant, but slightly different role. My application was turned down due to never actually holding the title 'DevOps Engineer'. However, I've managed the full stack of web development for 10+ years (coding practices, CI, releases, hosting, server management, etc.), but they simply ignored this and didn't give me a second look (they basically told me that when I asked).

Am I not really understanding what's truly involved in a DevOps Engineer role? Maybe I am underestimating what you guys do. No offence intended, I am genuinely interested in the role! :)

I wouldn't be too disheartened by being turned down by one company there are plenty of opportunities out there.

From my experiences a DevOps is usually from an system engineering background. So sometimes at work when we have to get developers to do "Devops" they think like a software engineer not like a systems/infrastructure engineer so although what they might produce is functionally correct it is not along the same lines of thought as someone with more of a systems/infrastructure background.

For example us systems/infrastructure engineers tend to centralise whilst developers tend to want to decouple.

I also find that developers lack networking theory.

On the flip side I think software developers can teach us DevOps a lot about designing proper ci/cd pipelines etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think a lot of companies don't understand what DevOps is and it's become the new buzz word since 2019 because of the push to Cloud technologies.

I had interview last year for an System Engineer, spent 2 hours looking at how everything was automated through code.... I was like "this not an System engineer role, mainly devops"

Soldato
OP
Ok let's talk Python Vs Go.

A few years ago I picked up Python as my programming language of choice to learn as a DevOps.

Hower the general theme on the internet is that as a DevOps it is better putting time and energy in to learning Go instead as it's more modern and a lot of the tools we use these days are actually built with Go.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Soldato

Applying for a job is more of a game to get a face to face interview; ideally you need to tailor your CV to get passed the filtering stages of the process. Some of the software used and or people at this stage won't fully understand what they are dealing with. I would just rewrite the job title for part of your history to be more focused on some of the tasks you had experience with. If asked you can explain face to face what your skills are while being a developer or engineer. It's a tough market right now so more power is with recruiters than candidates for a lot of roles, they can be filtering out hundreds of apps for a single job.

Soldato
I’m an IT Manager with a team of software engineers, for context.

I don’t think DevOps is a useful title as it’s ambiguous at best, although I have my own interpretation- as do most people, which really is the problem. Not dissimilar to agile (or Agile as the consultancies will sell to you).

I would assume it means:

- You can develop software in at least one primary language or specialty.
- You may have multiple contexts under your belt and refer to yourself as ‘full stack’, such as web, UI and HTTP APIs and database (maybe).
- You know how to manage integration and deployment, probably CI (but that term is also used loosely I’ve found).
- You probably have some experience of test automation (needed for the CI really).
- You probably have some experience with managing infrastructure and basic networking requirements, possibly only in cloud infrastructure nowadays as it’s so accessible.
- You have worked in a team where you have responsibility to respond and deal with production/operational incidents, maybe even facing off to customers directly or indirectly.

So overall I would assume you had broad experience across the discipline and maybe weren’t an expert in any one area but could manage most tasks an engineer could be asked to perform.

That said, I’ve seen DevOps engineers being described as literally just a person that babysits a Continuous Integration pipeline and doesn’t develop anything. I’ve also seen people who could manage just about any aspect of an applications lifecycle (often through experience at small companies or startups) who just describe themselves as a ‘developer’.

Things I’d like to see ideally in the role would be:

- Development experience in front and back end contexts.
- Test-driven development focus with strong automation skills.
- Worked in true CI/CD environment (i.e. multiple production deployments per day).
- Knowledge of complete deployment pipeline.
- Worked with at least one cloud platform.
- Worked in a team that manages their own uptime, logs, production incidents, certs/credentials, analytics etc.

Then I would consider that a true DevOps engineer role, in an ideal world. Probably not realistic or at least expensive.

Soldato
Ignore the negative look of this video. It's still very informative.

What this tells me is that DevOps is a very hard job, for a lot of reasons. The main ones are the constant learning overhead and difficulty of making business teams understand and appreciate what is involved to action their requests.

Soldato
OP
What IDE are people using?

I still do everything through vim.

Just watching this video. Neovim could be a good tool to migrate too. Might take a little bit of time to learn the commands though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom