*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Soldato
Cheers for the reply Mike, but unfortunately I've tried and considered all of your points :(

The efficiency of the drivers is only 86dB, and the hiss is easily audible from 2.5m away. The speakers need to be seriously loud for you not to notice it so it's just not acceptable. I've been told by the guys on DIYaudio is that there should be NO hiss or hum so a cap of diode must be buggered.

Soldato
Cheers for the reply Mike, but unfortunately I've tried and considered all of your points :(

The efficiency of the drivers is only 86dB, and the hiss is easily audible from 2.5m away. The speakers need to be seriously loud for you not to notice it so it's just not acceptable. I've been told by the guys on DIYaudio is that there should be NO hiss or hum so a cap of diode must be buggered.
Wow, 2.5m away. 86db isn't exactly amazingly sensitive either... Yep you've definitely got a problem there... I didn't really realise it was as bad as that!

The only time I can hear my speakers hissing is if I put my ear right next to the speaker, less than a few inches away... A little hiss is normal, hiss at 2.5m away is not!

It may be worth trying another power supply, TK2050 amps will run from 12v albeit at a lower output power but it's worth trying another supply in order to see if it's the amp module or power supply that's causing the hiss. My gut feeling says the amp module.

Even batteries are worth trying, just use some sort of fuse if you do this though, as even small batteries can produce large amounts of current which could lead to damage or even a fire if there is a short somewhere.

Good luck, DiyAudio has some very knowledgeable members, so I'm sure you'll be able to sort it one way or another. :)

Soldato
Well it's gone back to China and a new one is being shipped to me. Bit of a let down, but I could tell the potential the amp had from the listening I was able to experience! Currently running the speakers off an old Aiwa Mini System and they still sound good though!

Soldato
Well it's gone back to China and a new one is being shipped to me. Bit of a let down, but I could tell the potential the amp had from the listening I was able to experience! Currently running the speakers off an old Aiwa Mini System and they still sound good though!

At least you can listen to them, that's a bit of a shame you had problems from the outset, I guess one if the biggest issues with diyaudio is that you have to be prepared to do a little tinkering if things don't work the first time.

Hopefully it won't take too long for you to get a replacement, and fingers crossed the replacement will work properly!

Soldato
This isn't on topic, but I thought it'd be a good place to ask as it's the right crowd.

I got an ambient light kit for my TV via a power seller on AVF last year. One of the LED lights arrived faulty; if you bend the cable near the USB head (which goes into a mains powered hub), the light will work fully/flicker/dim just to red/turn off, depending on how you bend it. Dodgy connection or something. I know nothing about wiring and have no tools. I can do a vid if this doesn't make sense. It's a standard USB cable as far as I'm aware.

Long story short, the seller basically went AWOL and I can't get it replaced under warranty. I REALLY want it fixed! The LED strip is fine, so, I was wondering if the USB cable part of the light is repairable, and if so, if someone would do it for me? The main problem I guess is that the lights don't look like they come apart very easily, but if it's something that can be fixed at the header end, then that won't matter. Anyone willing to help a frustrated noob out? I have a feeling it's just something stupid like it's not been soldered properly, but me and DIY are like drunkenmaster and short posts.

Soldato
Yes it's Noodleman. He posted this at the start of Feb:

Hi Guys!

Very sorry for long delay in reply.

Neon-Lights is being transfered to a new owner over this weekend. I expect the new owner to get everything back up and running in the next week, and as part of that process any outstanding issues WILL BE RESOLVED.

I have not, and am not ignoring requests, however I haven't been able to send out any stock during the process of selling the business.

I WILL be getting back to everybody shortly!

Since then, nothing, no reply to PMs, I don't even think he's logged on/posted. So much for 'next week'. If there is a new owner, they have done nothing over a couple of months either, since I've had no replies to the website email (Neon-Lights.co.uk) or the phone, and all their items are still listed as 'out of stock'.

It's annoying because the service was great, but it feels like the company is dead.

Soldato
that sucks, he wa sgreat to deal with, but think if i remeber correctly once he handed it over he would have nothing to do with the avf powerbuy, damn shame as i wanted to get a few more lights

Soldato
Not exactly DIY, but I've just ordered the final part of the audio setup:
dac09blackfront.jpg

It's a Grant Fidelity DAC-09/ Maverick D1/ XiangSheng DAC-01a (all three are identical, just rebranded/small differences). The reason I picked this as my DAC were the following:

- Price: I ordered one for AUD$157 delivered (about £100). That's phenominally cheap for the feature set considering it was reviewed at $300 price point!
- Tube: I've read that tube buffers work well with the tripath chips and I'm a big fan of tube sound.
- Pre-amp: Makes it girlfriend safe as I was originally going to run a single source DAC and change cables each time which is a bit of a hassle.
- USB in: Saves me buying a converter for laptop
- Looks: Looks pretty good imho.
- Flexibility: It also has a handy RCA in which I'll use for other peoples MP3 players when necessary.

The only downside is that there is no remote for volume control, but this is something I hope to rectify if it proves to be annoying. I may yet use it in direct mode and add a motorised pot to the T2 amp.

It's not going to blow away expensive dacs, but it is apparently "better" than the much loved DACmagic. So far I've been looking for quality bang for buck and hopefully it will compliment the amp and speakers I have so far. Just need a bloody house now!

FAQ
Review

Soldato
If anybody is interested, I have a faulty Marantz amp that I don't have the time to fix that I will happily give away to somebody who can get some life out of it. If anyone thinks they can fix it then let me know and it's yours. Details in my for sale thread here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18266612

Mods, I hope you don't mind me 'advertising' outside the MM in this instance seeing as it's going for free!

Permabanned
Just had this delivered Item number: 200597987765 (you know where too look)

I got it for £21 delivered. Really nice.

I'm going to build a nice dac once i've sorted what im having.

TV will go to via optical, PC USB and CDP COAX

Soldato
Anyone on here still building cables? I'm curious to see what I'd be looking at for a couple of 1m balanced XLRs, nothing over the top obviously, but I just want to see I'd be looking at compared to a pair of Van Dammes or Blue Jeans (i.e around £10-20 per cable, not audiophile tax territory, but enough to know they're probably well built!). Thanks!

Soldato
This thread has gone a bit quiet :( . Good to hear some of you are planning new builds though at least!

My new project, just finished. My own design optical compressor, sidechain initially designed in SwitcherCAD and overall design optimised in real life! Stereo bridged performance, external sidechain input, calibrated gain reduction metering.

v6pBZ.jpg
oIMpO.jpg
D0s81.jpg
2TLOg.jpg

Isn't really a build thread for this one, I mostly just pursued it solo to see what I would come up with. A few quirks and things I'd do differently on it now but mostly rather nice. I will produce a demo video soon and share it on youtube so you can all hear it :)

Soldato
I still intend on building a pair of Linkwitz Pluto speakers but it's a project that will have to wait several months due to Siegfried redesigning the circuit boards to use more available parts, and sourcing a few of the harder to get parts.

Back
Top Bottom