The Emirates FA Cup 5th Round ** Spoilers ** [26th - 28th February 2024]

Associate
First half they were the better team, second half we were but their complete lack of quality in the final third or final ball killed them. Honestly, I tend to be harder on United when it comes to "who deserved the game" when we are playing a team with a budged 1/10th of ours. I expect more for us to be deserving of the win against teams like this.

Exactly. The principle difference is that your far richer, have far more of a draw and have 'won the lot'. Doesn't always work out in the bigger teams favour of course, but come on.

Last edited:
Soldato
First half they were the better team, second half we were but their complete lack of quality in the final third or final ball killed them. Honestly, I tend to be harder on United when it comes to "who deserved the game" when we are playing a team with a budged 1/10th of ours. I expect more for us to be deserving of the win against teams like this.
I just don't see that. We had three or four great chances in the first half. Two for McSauce, one for Antony and one for Marcus. It could have been 3-1 at half time. I expect more from us in general but we had a makeshift defence and kept a clean sheet. We haven't played decent all season bar the odd 20 minute spell so a win away against another premier league team is not to be sniffed at. Given some of the trash we have seen this season that was almost acceptable.

Don
The scoreline more than flattered us. The Gomez in midfield experiment hopefully won't be seen again but it was a case of needs must today and we found a way to get through the first half and the longer the game went the more comfortable it got. Danns was really impressive when he came on again - it's mad to think he wasn't even in the reserves/u23s until a few months ago, he's really came from no where.

Not sure what to think about Nyoni coming on. He's probably the most highly rated player in the academy right now but I saw somebody tweet that he was born the week Torres signed for us. I feel very old now.

Soldato
He's probably the most highly rated player in the academy right now but I saw somebody tweet that he was born the week Torres signed for us. I feel very old now.

:D As if the sons of two former players (that I remember watching) scoring, wasn't bad enough. Thought Gomez in midfield was decent on the ball going forward but defensively the midfield was wrong side for pretty much the entire first half. Hopefully won't have to watch the experiment again.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I just don't see that. We had three or four great chances in the first half. Two for McSauce, one for Antony and one for Marcus. It could have been 3-1 at half time. I expect more from us in general but we had a makeshift defence and kept a clean sheet. We haven't played decent all season bar the odd 20 minute spell so a win away against another premier league team is not to be sniffed at. Given some of the trash we have seen this season that was almost acceptable.

I forgot about those apart from McTominays chances. One of those was a good save from the keeper I seem to remember. Our xG seems to suggest that we did indeed have the better chances. I remember Fernandes pea-rolling a few half chances at their keeper however :mad:

Man of Honour
I’m just not that bothered anymore. I think ETH’s days are numbered - his management, tactics and style of football (or lack thereof) are all particularly poor. I do think we’ve been fortunate in many games this season, our league position could be considerably worse!

I think a lot of change will be happening in the summer, hopefully for the better.

Soldato
So what's the difference between our disallowed goal vs Chelsea on the weekend and the goal vs forest today? Apart from it being man utd that is

Soldato
VX4jpwI.jpeg

VAR check: was it Casemiro? no ... ok ... no red card

Caporegime
Funny how the throat grab and ignored penalty are getting almost zero coverage, don't think BBC even mentioned it in their livestream. Wolves had a PGMOL apology by now.

Edit: Neither are even mentioned in the match report. Are the BBC being told not to include ref ****ups?

Last edited:
Associate
Funny how the throat grab and ignored penalty are getting almost zero coverage, don't think BBC even mentioned it in their livestream. Wolves had a PGMOL apology by now.

Edit: Neither are even mentioned in the match report. Are the BBC being told not to include ref ****ups?

The throat grab seems absurd not to cover, but Watkins get's a penalty shout like that almost every game and it's hardly ever reviewed after. It's probably the same for most teams these days.

Just read ETHs remarks about Fernandes being 'targeted' by Forest players all evening. It's almost as though he's a good player who shouldn't be given time on the ball. Load of nonsense. Even if you discount that, he's one of those players who's just going to wind the opposition up simply by being there.

Last edited:
Associate

It does appear there told to show the refs in a good light

Caporegime

Media are just all salty fans of rival clubs who were steam rolled in the 90's and 00's and just looking for every opportunity to bash United. The way the media are treating ETH at the moment is borderline bullying imo. It is quite disgusting.

The team is complete threadbare (Amrabat limped off yesterday) and we have a lot of players that are just not up to it. Klopp never got any of this last season when he was in the same situation and you could argue the drop off was bigger as Liverpool are a team that should be challenging for titles. In fact Liverpool had less points than United do now after 26 games.

fez

fez

Caporegime

They didn't even mention it in the live text. Just that Rashford was getting up after going down hurt.

VAR check: was it Casemiro? no ... ok ... no red card

The real crime here is that hand thats obviously going for a nipple twist!

Associate
Media are just all salty fans of rival clubs who were steam rolled in the 90's and 00's and just looking for every opportunity to bash United. The way the media are treating ETH at the moment is borderline bullying imo. It is quite disgusting.

The team is complete threadbare (Amrabat limped off yesterday) and we have a lot of players that are just not up to it. Klopp never got any of this last season when he was in the same situation and you could argue the drop off was bigger as Liverpool are a team that should be challenging for titles. In fact Liverpool had less points than United do now after 26 games.

Not buying that for a second. No ones more up and down on ETH and United in general then their own fans half the time. As entertaining as it is, the way you lot go on at players and staff here at times goes beyond criticism.
The pundits and journalists don't create that narrative, they just carve it out from the fanbase and spin it out because it makes a good read for everyone else.

It's the same argument I have with my United supporting coworkers. Opposition fans don't dislike you because you've won everything, they dislike you because a large demographic of your fanbase have a smug sense of derision for everyone else, as well as holding the almost divine belief that you should be on the pedestal forever.
That sort of attitude is prevalent in all clubs of course, not just the successful ones. But it's particularly prevalent with United, perhaps because they have so many fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
I kinda feel for Antony tbh, he gets criticised for just cutting in all the time, but it's clearly what he's being told to do by the coaches. I don't believe ETH is telling him to run down the line and try to beat defenders and whip crosses in, and he's just ignoring it.

I'm a bit baffled why we don't see him on the left occasionally with Garnacho on the right.

Caporegime
Because he's dreadful on the left, he came on as a sub on the left against Wolves and he was abysmal and created the Wolves equaliser. I thought he played well for the first half yesterday, was a big part in creating our best chance for McT and hit the woodwork with a good effort, defended well too. Second half he was invisible though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom