• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury(X) Fiji Owners Thread

Soldato
Hardly a fair comparison though, a fully unlocked third party 980Ti vs a locked first party FX.

A fair comparison would be to wait until the FX is unlocked fully then run tests between them. We all know the 980Ti is a beastly card and can over clock to silly numbers at the cost of noise and heat (unless you have an AIO cooler) but then your easily ~£100-£150 more than the FX.

If the FX can over clock to 1250-1350mhz with an unlocked voltage and still remain cool and quiet (subject to the pump being sorted) then it will in theory out perform the 980Ti for LESS money. Then the only thing which so far seems to be a none issue unless using XFire is the 4GB HBM.

Soldato
I read a fair review somewhere and at 4k there was 2% in it. The Fury X won some, lost some, the 980ti also.

Honestly this is not a card for anything less than 4k, I really can't stress that enough. The only problem for me now is availability. I am looking to pull the trigger on Friday but I can't find any anywhere and those that are supposedly coming aren't coming until the end of the month at the earliest and others won't even give a day they just say "overdue".

What a complete farce. AMD struggling, their stock prices falling and you can't buy a bloody card from them if you want to.

Maybe they're pulling a "Cartmanland" but I doubt it. For those that don't know what a Cartmanland is he basically buys a theme park then won't let any one in. They get annoyed, then they get desperate, then he brings in more customers than ever when he does open.

"So much fun, at Fury X land, but you can't come !"

Caporegime
When voltage is unlocked and the FuryX makes the ti look puny, they will all be in here with "yes but Nvidia tdp" lol.

Well tbh, waiting for voltage unlocking is a cop out. Card performance should be compared on how they come from the factory. Its like trying to compare a rally tuned stripped out ford focus against a bog standard showroom model.

Soldato
Well tbh, waiting for voltage unlocking is a cop out. Card performance should be compared on how they come from the factory. Its like trying to compare a rally tuned stripped out ford focus against a bog standard showroom model.

Normally I would agree but Fury X was rushed so terribly badly that I still don't think it's anywhere near what it could have, and should have been.

LOL you can't even buy them, that's how ready AMD were.. All very rushed from start to present.

So I do have faith that at some point it may eclipse the 980ti, and that's why I'm gearing up to buy one now.

Caporegime
I think its a great card, particularly once you up the res. Yes, 4k is still a very niche market. Perhaps with driver updates lower res performance will improve as this will help the majority of users. Availability does seem very poor, and the pump whine issue is putting people off. But theres a lot to like about the card, runs cool, its quiet. Some people are complaining about the price being too high, yet in many threads you see people moaning about how AMD always look like the inferior product based on price. Now when they go head to head with NVIDIA on price its still cause for complaint.

Soldato
I don't think it's too expensive at all. Water cooled 980ti costs how much again? oh yeah ! £629 for a Inno3D thing (or something like that) and £650 for the EVGA.

I want. I do want, and if I can find one on Friday I will have :)

How fickle am I? LOOK AT ME ! SHINY !

Caporegime
I actually waited to see what the Fury x was like. I had the 980ti in sig on preorder so had plenty of time to change my mind. After seeing reviews I just stuck with the order. And not that I thought in any way that the Ti was superior. Basically the way I looked at it was, why gi through the hassle of changing my order to a card of similar price and performance.

Soldato
I don't think it's too expensive at all. Water cooled 980ti costs how much again? oh yeah ! £629 for a Inno3D thing (or something like that) and £650 for the EVGA.

I want. I do want, and if I can find one on Friday I will have :)

How fickle am I? LOOK AT ME ! SHINY !

But you are getting a much better card for the price. A decent aircooled 980ti walks all over a FuryX at the same price for noise and overclocks. Watercooling a 980ti doesnt really add much except cost and maybe better airflow in restrained cases. A watercooled 980ti is a niche product, and its also probably limiting furyx sales, if they could actually get stock going.

You're always going to sell more aircooled cards. If you actively want an AIO card then the furyx fulfills that one criteria at a lower price yes, but I cant imagine that is many people.

Soldato
When voltage is unlocked and the FuryX makes the ti look puny, they will all be in here with "yes but Nvidia tdp" lol.

There seems to be a whole lot of this voltage talk going on, you really think a 150mhz boost is going to make a ti look puny?

For most gamers 1080 res is king and amd don't seem to do very well at lower res.

Soldato
But you are getting a much better card for the price. A decent aircooled 980ti walks all over a FuryX at the same price for noise and overclocks. Watercooling a 980ti doesnt really add much except cost and maybe better airflow in restrained cases. A watercooled 980ti is a niche product, and its also probably limiting furyx sales, if they could actually get stock going.

You're always going to sell more aircooled cards. If you actively want an AIO card then the furyx fulfills that one criteria at a lower price yes, but I cant imagine that is many people.

After putting a Titan Black, GTX 480 Lightning and god knows what else under an AIO I can safely assure you I don't want anything else.

GPU noise is the worst thing in any rig, so why not replace that noise with a 120mm fan spinning at a medium speed and a good 30% less heat at the core?

Your choice I guess, but I want AIO on my GPUs.

Edit. As for walking all over? yeah you can overclock a 980ti meaningfully. However, at their given factory settings there is 2% in it, so providing AMD come up with a decent driver or app? I'm not worried. I run 4k, I want Fury X. I really, really don't want Nvidia.

Caporegime
I can see the appeal of an aio cooled card, but its not for me personally. Hence I went fir an aftermarket market cooled model. Not that keen on excessive noise, so thankfully this card on sig is whisper quiet. Benching with 100% fan speed, its still quieter than one of my old wf 780's at 60%.

Soldato
After putting a Titan Black, GTX 480 Lightning and god knows what else under an AIO I can safely assure you I don't want anything else.

GPU noise is the worst thing in any rig, so why not replace that noise with a 120mm fan spinning at a medium speed and a good 30% less heat at the core?

Your choice I guess, but I want AIO on my GPUs.

Edit. As for walking all over? yeah you can overclock a 980ti meaningfully. However, at their given factory settings there is 2% in it, so providing AMD come up with a decent driver or app? I'm not worried. I run 4k, I want Fury X. I really, really don't want Nvidia.

So you are going to watercool your cards to run them at stock clocks?
Or is that just rather extreme purchase justification?

You obviously haven't heard an MSI 980ti because it is not at all noisy, no more noisy than my pump and 800rpm radiator fans. Totally pointless to watercool it, even running at 1535/8000
I even have a core only block I could put on it and add it to my loop, but there would be no benefit.

As I said, if you really want a prefitted AIO then the furyx us a good choice at the price, but ultimately you are losing out on other benefits at this point, mythical magic driver updates notwithstanding.

Most 980Tis can breach 1400Mhz without adding any voltage ie stock volts. Some can hit the high 1400s on stock volts.

Some can do 1500's on stock volts ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see the appeal of an aio cooled card, but its not for me personally. Hence I went fir an aftermarket market cooled model. Not that keen on excessive noise, so thankfully this card on sig is whisper quiet. Benching with 100% fan speed, its still quieter than one of my old wf 780's at 60%.

Every GPU I have had ever has always made itself heard. No matter how good the cooler or how large. MSI cards and the Palit Jetstreams became very whirry when spinning up. I have always ran two cards too, so the noise becomes rather annoying.

Slap them on an AIO on the other hand? no other noise at all. Even with a 600 RPM Noiseblocker Bionic they were practically silent.

I'm pretty lucky in a way because I have the new Alienware Area 51, and due to how it works it's very very easy to adapt it to be outstanding with AIOs. Here I have numbered how they will be fitted, noting I will keep the stock 120mm Nidec fans.

And basically I have "Afterburner for your case.."

So I can easily set the fan speeds to get the temps even :)

Back
Top Bottom