• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
With a bit of playing, moving to custom bios doesn't seem to help much with my cards.

It's enough to get me to 1500/8000, whereas just regular bios gets me about 1475/7900. Extra voltage doesn't seem to help me very much at all.

Was wanting constant 1500/8000, but the performance difference is negligible, so will just stick to regular bios and 1475.

Regular bios with voltage increase also seems to allow 1500, but is not stable in batman.

Also 1475/7900 seems about the limit for tdp. Adding even +25mv starts throttling a bit in certain situations.

I got similar results on mine. The custom bios stopped me hitting the power limit which allowed me to up the clocks but not by much. I'm using 1.27mv at the moment and the extra voltage doesn't seem to do anything, I can do 1450Mhz on stock volts ie 1.187mv. I am planning to use the 1.25mv bios instead to scale back the voltage and just remove the power limits as this is all I need.

This extra voltage situation pretty much ties in on what I have read on a few forums and stuff kingpin has posted about the 980ti chip.

On the plus side its a 50% boost over the base clock is very nice. Nvidia really could have released these cards with allot higher clocks.

Associate
Give it a day or two to sort a couple of things out and if you're still not happy then personally I'd say send one back then get a hybrid to pair with it in a few weeks (or the same with 2 if you want to match cards and just wait for the Hybrids) ;)

I honestly think I'm gonna work with the cards, they're too good to swap for something else. I've got a huge case to play with and tons of fans so i'm sure I can work something out. If worst comes to worst, I'll find a motherboard that allows me to use ANY of the pci-e slots or I'll find one with a bit more spacing between the lanes.

Permabanned
Give it a day or two to sort a couple of things out and if you're still not happy then personally I'd say send one back then get a hybrid to pair with it in a few weeks (or the same with 2 if you want to match cards and just wait for the Hybrids) ;)

We've had a couple of missed "in stock" dates for the hybrids now though. They like hens teeth and even the EVGA AIO coolers are few and far between. I got one through luck alone and my mates still waiting on one

Associate
Question - is the Zotac AMP Extreme worth the £80 over the AMP edition? Could you just buy the cheaper one and overclock it?

PS. I'm upgrading from 7990 and intend to play at 1440p.

Associate
Question - is the Zotac AMP Extreme worth the £80 over the AMP edition? Could you just buy the cheaper one and overclock it?

PS. I'm upgrading from 7990 and intend to play at 1440p.
I've always seen Extreme owners getting to or past 1500/8000.
Amp! a bit less (some hit 1350, some get to 1460). The silicon lottery rule applies, but there is the factor that Zotac keeps the best silicon for the extreme.

Mine does 1515/8020 with stock voltage (can't get past that, even +10mv hits the power limit - damn 69% Asic).

Both cards are a fine choice (as are Super Jestream and Inno3D X3 as entry level customs, there is not a single "bad" model really).

Soldato
I've always seen Extreme owners getting to or past 1500/8000.
Amp! a bit less (some hit 1350, some get to 1460). The silicon lottery rule applies, but there is the factor that Zotac keeps the best silicon for the extreme.

Mine does 1515/8020 with stock voltage (can't get past that, even +10mv hits the power limit - damn 69% Asic).

Both cards are a fine choice (as are Super Jestream and Inno3D X3 as entry level customs, there is not a single "bad" model really).

Same asics as mine and similar top end too. I can get it upto 1530/8000 with the custom bios. I'm guessing your gpu has a higher powerlimit than the stock cards? Also whats your stock voltage?

Associate
Same asics as mine and similar top end too. I can get it upto 1530/8000 with the custom bios. I'm guessing your gpu has a higher powerlimit than the stock cards? Also whats your stock voltage?

1.187, the slider goes up to 111%, it crashed during some benches @ 113%.

Adding voltage doesn't stick, after a few seconds it drops it. Gpu-Z says Unreliable Voltage (not going to complain lol).

P.S. I think we're all striving for that 1500 that we (at least me) forget how far we're pushing them, the stock boost is just 1075!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I honestly think I'm gonna work with the cards, they're too good to swap for something else. I've got a huge case to play with and tons of fans so i'm sure I can work something out. If worst comes to worst, I'll find a motherboard that allows me to use ANY of the pci-e slots or I'll find one with a bit more spacing between the lanes.

Good call :cool:

Soldato
1.187, the slider goes up to 111%, it crashed during some benches @ 113%.

Adding voltage doesn't stick, after a few seconds it drops it. Gpu-Z says Unreliable Voltage (not going to complain lol).

P.S. I think we're all striving for that 1500 that we (at least me) forget how far we're pushing them, the stock boost is just 1075!

I see so we have the same stock voltage, I thought you might of have a bit more being a custom card.

I think your right about the 1500, when I first got my gpu I was aiming for 1400mhz, then it was 1450mhz, then 1500mhz. Your spot on its a huge overclock from stock, I am plenty happy with what its giving out. :)

Soldato
I hope so. As you can see below, they are an extremely tight fit but I've finally got some support for them (very heavy cards) and tomorrow I'll finish getting everything setup and look at putting a fan at the end of both cards blowing cool air over them.

SNINrXd.jpg

Nice setup. One small thing, I would flip the psu around so it pulls cool air from outside rather than from the inside of your case. :)

Associate
Well after much, much, much thought.........and price/availability, buckled and ordered the Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP Edition, l had hoped to get a Fury X, however will have to wait until the next round of cards, after this l should be set for a while (until the upgrade itch strikes again).
You're into charity?
J/k, I'm sure you'll love it. Supposed to be extremely quiet.

I hope so. As you can see below, they are an extremely tight fit but I've finally got some support for them (very heavy cards) and tomorrow I'll finish getting everything setup and look at putting a fan at the end of both cards blowing cool air over them.

SNINrXd.jpg
If by any chance the G10 AIO fits on the top card, you would solve every issue.

Back
Top Bottom