• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
General rule is in at the front/bottom and out the top/rear, but there are some scenarios where you can breach that :p

Can someone explain why some graphics cards' inputs go DisplayPort > HDMI > DisplayPort > DisplayPort? It just looks weird to me, rather than having HDMI at either end.

Associate
Hi all, gotta say loving the new card! Moved from the reds after 10 years! Think I have got the oc down! But some of this is new territory! What oc are you guys achieving and settings in Afterburner?
I am setting 87mV, power limit 110% fans at 65% (inaudible) RAM plus 400 (7220 effective up to 8020) and GPU core plus 57MHz (1353 to 1410) boosts to around 1510 max! Any further getting artifacts/flickering in The Witcher after core hits around 60oC, the display driver eventually stops responding! Common issue I believe with pushing the oc a little too far! Interesting to see other Maxwell results!

Associate
ordered my Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP Edition earlier today, left amd and their horrible crossfire support.

Chose this card for its 5 year mega warranty, big in the game!!!

going to try it with the case on and hope for the best, i've had the case off for a few years with the toxic crossfire running extremely hot

Soldato
Hi all, gotta say loving the new card! Moved from the reds after 10 years! Think I have got the oc down! But some of this is new territory! What oc are you guys achieving and settings in Afterburner?
I am setting 87mV, power limit 110% fans at 65% (inaudible) RAM plus 400 (7220 effective up to 8020) and GPU core plus 57MHz (1353 to 1410) boosts to around 1510 max! Any further getting artifacts/flickering in The Witcher after core hits around 60oC, the display driver eventually stops responding! Common issue I believe with pushing the oc a little too far! Interesting to see other Maxwell results!
Looks good to me, I get about the same results on my two reference cards under water.

Soldato

Try using less voltage - my cards hit the power limit without using any mv so you might find you can actually OC a bit higher without it

Associate
Hi all, sorry I havent read all 210 pages... quich psu question I'm sure has been asked before - I am thinking of upgrading from my 2x EVGA 780 Hydro Coppers to 2x EVGA 980Ti Hydro Coppers, now that I see they are in stock... I currently have a EVGA Supernova 750 G2 psu, and this is fine for the 780's. Realistically what size psu do I need for 2x 980Ti's? I assume my existing 750 won't cut it (?) I would prefer to stay with EVGA psu's as I have the braided cable kit for it. cheers.

Associate
I assume my existing 750 won't cut it (?) I would prefer to stay with EVGA psu's as I have the braided cable kit for it. cheers.

Seems you're driving a 4K monitor so 60fps would be your maximum, I think you can get away with 750w. If you would rather your PSU to be running under 75% load when gaming I would get 1000w, if you dont mind, game on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all, sorry I havent read all 210 pages... quich psu question I'm sure has been asked before - I am thinking of upgrading from my 2x EVGA 780 Hydro Coppers to 2x EVGA 980Ti Hydro Coppers, now that I see they are in stock... I currently have a EVGA Supernova 750 G2 psu, and this is fine for the 780's. Realistically what size psu do I need for 2x 980Ti's? I assume my existing 750 won't cut it (?) I would prefer to stay with EVGA psu's as I have the braided cable kit for it. cheers.
That PSU will not be enough you need a 1000W model. They degrade over time 750W is not quite enough for SLI GTX 980 Ti under load they draw a lot of amps 4K gaming is very demanding on both CPU + GPU ;)

Associate
Seems you're driving a 4K monitor so 60fps would be your maximum, I think you can get away with 750w. If you would rather your PSU to be running under 75% load when gaming I would get 1000w, if you dont mind, game on.

That PSU will not be enough you need a 1000W model. They degrade over time 750W is not quite enough for SLI GTX 980 Ti under load they draw a lot of amps 4K gaming is very demanding on both CPU + GPU ;)

Thanks. Yes I have a single 4k monitor at 60Hz. I figured I'd probably need a bigger psu, which isn't a problem except everything from say 1000w upwards are physically longer which will interfere with my loop between the pump and the first gfx card, so i'd have to get some more hardtube and re-do that section of the loop which is a minor annoyance.

Associate
Guys I'm in need of your help! I've got a dilemma I'm currently looking at getting a new Graphics card, I currently have the 980 TI classified, it's a little too noisy so I'm looking at getting the Hybrid 980 Ti but also I don't use the PC as much anymore so was also thinking of downgrading my graphics card, I can get a used 970 for £150 with slight choil whine however and I have a buyer for my 980 Ti for £600.
so it's either get the 980 Ti Hybrid
gtx 970 or cheap 780 Ti
gtx titan X (for £650, same price as the hybrid 980 Ti)

Associate
Guys I'm in need of your help! I've got a dilemma I'm currently looking at getting a new Graphics card, I currently have the 980 TI classified, it's a little too noisy so I'm looking at getting the Hybrid 980 Ti but also I don't use the PC as much anymore so was also thinking of downgrading my graphics card, I can get a used 970 for £150 with slight choil whine however and I have a buyer for my 980 Ti for £600.
so it's either get the 980 Ti Hybrid
gtx 970 or cheap 780 Ti
gtx titan X (for £650, same price as the hybrid 980 Ti)

1. 980Ti Hybrid if you want a cool and quiet card, but you say you don't use your PC much, so is their really the need for a powerful GPU?
2. Cheap 970 or 780Ti would be good idea if you're happy with the performance, you could use the money saved to get Pascal next year.
3. Titan X makes the least sense if you're saying the power of the 980Ti is not needed and you could use a downgrade. This will also put you at square one, with the problem being I find a reference Titan X will not likely run quieter and cooler than a 980Ti Classified. Unless you want to spend X amount extra on Hybrid watercooling.

Associate
1. 980Ti Hybrid if you want a cool and quiet card, but you say you don't use your PC much, so is their really the need for a powerful GPU?
2. Cheap 970 or 780Ti would be good idea if you're happy with the performance, you could use the money saved to get Pascal next year.
3. Titan X makes the least sense if you're saying the power of the 980Ti is not needed and you could use a downgrade. This will also put you at square one, with the problem being I find a reference Titan X will not likely run quieter and cooler than a 980Ti Classified. Unless you want to spend X amount extra on Hybrid watercooling.

thank you that's what I'm thinking I would be happy with the 780 Ti/970 untill pascal next year think I know what I'll be doing plus I could do with the extra money :)

RS1

RS1

Associate
Hey guys - I took the plunge and went for a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti. The card is great; however, I'm not sure if I'm overclocking properly. My ASIC is 75.4% and I'm running the 353.62 driver on Windows 7 (other specs below). The problem I have is that I keep crashing to Windows when benching in the Heaven Extreme profile. I don't hit my max power limit set at 139%. I get to about test 17-20 before crashing (display driver has stopped working and has recovered error). The max I can hit is +100 core and +400 memory. In game however, I have to use stock overclocks (+38 core / 0 mem).

Do I need to upgrade driver / BIOS or have I established the most that I can get from this card?

Last edited:

RS1

RS1

Associate
What is your actual boost clock hitting?
Also check if the power limit flag is being hit rather than the power limit percentage

The +100 core hits 1467 on boost. I've also noticed that the card is more stable when running the heaven benchmark in full screen opposed to window mode. Not sure if this affects anything?

I'm not sure what you mean about the power limit flag? I have set the power limit to its maximum in MSI afterburner; I monitor the percentage in the hardware monitor.. thoughts?

Associate
The +100 core hits 1467 on boost. I've also noticed that the card is more stable when running the heaven benchmark in full screen opposed to window mode. Not sure if this affects anything?

I'm not sure what you mean about the power limit flag? I have set the power limit to its maximum in MSI afterburner; I monitor the percentage in the hardware monitor.. thoughts?

It's either drivers or more likely needs more voltage...

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom