The Hunt for Gollum

Man of Honour
Yeah the scope and scale of it is open ended and it is more a framework than a story - to do it justice would need like 60 episodes of a TV series and quite a bit of filling in the blanks.

Soldato
OP
Isn’t not have source material a good thing?

I’m seeing this as a positive

1: Rings of Power set the bar that low even if they fell over, they would still clear it.

2: They can’t **** over a man’s lifetime work and call it progress by updating “problematic dated” source material and have to updated it for a modern audience!! You know the one they are having trouble finding in the mass numbers they think exists.

Man of Honour
Still plenty of Rings of Power hate for being a recent supposedly poor adaption of the IP, but does anyone remember how bad The Hobbit was?! It was really, really bad.

Really bad.

With all the buffoonery and lack of threat, they pretty much ‘Phantom Menaced’ the original trilogy.

RJbiUxW.jpeg

9rYY6VN.jpeg

:o

Caporegime
Still plenty of Rings of Power hate for being a recent supposedly poor adaption of the IP, but does anyone remember how bad The Hobbit was?! It was really, really bad.

Really bad.

With all the buffoonery and lack of threat, they pretty much ‘Phantom Menaced’ the original trilogy.

RJbiUxW.jpeg

9rYY6VN.jpeg

Yep

I would rather watch ROP season 1 again than ever have to sit through 8 hours of Hobbit nonsense.

Man of Honour
Yep

I would rather watch ROP season 1 again than ever have to sit through 8 hours of Hobbit nonsense.

Agreed. I think most people would agree that ROP sagged into ‘bad’ around 3/4 eps. in, but I also think it had at least couple of pretty good eps. towards the end. Definitely not enough to make a ‘great’ series but I’ll tune in for the second.

… and yeah, when The Hobbit wasn’t in ‘Phantom Menace’ mode, it was just foreshadowing the events of LoTR films… uh, great.

“… take heed… a much better and more exciting film that you’ve already seen… is coming.”

So underwhelming… even in the cinema and being a fan of the book :(

Soldato
It's very disapointing that out of all the reams of Lore to dig into we get a Gollum movie...? Come on guys.

Great to see the old faces back at the helm after Amazon's epic disaster, but it also comes with the modern "stories yet to be told" red flag which never bodes well. Apparently the whole Hunt for Gollum section is dealt with in the books in a paragraph.

Hype level 4.5/10.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Really bad.

Yes, the Hobbit was not at all good. I enjoyed Mr Dragon but a trilogy Mr Dragon does not make.

:Not at all LOTR expert edit: It feels like they could do an "animatrix" or Black Mirror style series for The Silmarillion, I mean that in concept rather than production/style etc. Totally disjointed and isolated stories (perhaps some multi episode ones for the larger pieces?) set in different obviously very different times but connected thematically/in terms of cinematic vision.

Last edited:
Soldato
At least I actually watch the shows I comment on

Rather than spend hours in threads, criticising stuff I have only seen via YouTube commentators

Yes, you definitely do watch a lot of crap.

:D

Here's a list of good shows I've just completed: Fallout, Shogun, The Dropout, 3 Body Problem, The Fall of the House of Usher, Sexy Beast, The Gold, Yellowjackets...

Last edited:
Associate
Not a film I was expecting but I do hope anything spawning out that universe is good. ROP was utter trash so the bar is as low as it comes.

Out of everything they could do I'm sure there's better subject material for a spin off? Having no jrr source material aside gollum is not a character you'd be rooting for as a viewer so I hope the title is a bait and switch. Wonder what the budget will be as I'd take it as an indication of the studios belief in the script.

Back
Top Bottom