• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel Arc owners thread

Don
Last edited:
Soldato
The driver isn't yet available.
4091 is available now which if the following article (Link) is anything to go back includes the 4086 uplift.

Giving it a try now anyway. :)

EDIT: So far so interesting.

First up is the removal of the overlay to a more condensed version of the same thing which you can now move around. Doesn't appear to be any new features that I can see (not sure if the graphs were there before or not) but at least nice that its no longer an overlay.

Performance in games outside of DX9 (again assuming 4091 includes the 4086 updates) is hit and miss, at least for me:

Destiny 2 - 1440p UW Max settings - Improvement of around 5 FPS or so in my test area (Throne World spawn and loop). Nice little boost taking a little closer to the 3060Ti
Hitman 3 - 1440p (non UW) 2FPS regression in the Dartmoor scene and static in Dubai. I did note that the GPU can now draw more than 190w (up to 207w seen on the overlay) but this didn't lead to any material increase to performance (1FPS so margin of error).
High on Life - (1440p non UW) - Feels a bit smoother in general play but annoyingly I am no where near the hub zone to test the FPS drops experienced there. This was the game that performed basically the same as the 3060Ti so a pretty decent showing
CyberPunk 2077 - 1440p UW with FSR2.1 Quality and RT Medium - Flatlined trying to load the benchmark. Not sure if its the game or something awry with my system / new driver as it worked before.
Plague Tale: Requiem - 1440p UW High Settings with Scaling on Balanced - Around 50FPS average and no stutters like before. No performance uplift but a much more playable experience.

Last edited:
Associate
Just plopped in an A770 and the only game I have to try is Battlefield 2042.

Running at 4K60 low settings I am barely getting 50-60 fps. Ive seen youtube videos of people playing it in 4K60 with Ultra settings and getting better performance than me.

My PC:
i5 10400
B460M D3H
16GB DDR4 3200 @ 2666 (cpu limitation)
16GB A770

I made sure Re-BAR is on and 4g decoding. GPU-Z says Re-BAR is working.

Soldato
2042 Wise I would be looking at CPU usage using MSI Afterburner (not the overlap as it appears to be broken, my CPU reports 3% usage regardless of application or actual load). It is likely that 1 or more cores are pegged at 95-10% causing the lower performance (even if overall usage is ~50%).

Soldato
Is the A770 worth picking up over a 3060, 6650 XT? Currently building the missus a PC and wondered if I should jump on one of these cards?

Soldato
Is the A770 worth picking up over a 3060, 6650 XT? Currently building the missus a PC and wondered if I should jump on one of these cards?
I'd say in this scenario you want the most reliable product so the missus doesn't moan about issues, imo that's the 3060, some might favour amd, all would agree it's not the intel.

Man of Honour
Ah, righty. Might pickup the RX6700 then as it seems the best all rounder.

When they were released, the general consensus was that the Arc cards are best for enthusiasts, since you get glitches and driver issues that don't occur on the other cards and performance is inconsistent, particularly across older/newer games, you also NEED REBAR enabled and working properly, which the other cards do not (so it is often unsuitable for upgraders). Not sure what the consensus would be now, from the recent videos, it seems like performance is much more consistent (far less of a drop-off in older games) and the glitches in popular games are mostly fixed. For a new PCI-E 4.0 build, I think I'd buy one now if the price was right. The 6700 seems to have gone up a lot and with the 6700 XT coming down, I'm not sure if it is worth buying anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Performance is certainly more consistant and I have had no issues beyond Cyberpunk on the latest drivers, which may just need a reinstall to fix. Rebar is still a must however as that it is an architectural feature rather than anything that be easily worked around in software.

If a bit of tinkering is what you are after the A750 is worth a look but if you just want to fit an forget then the 6650XT or 3060 are perfectly good cards. Pricing seems to be about equal as well (and £50 odd more than the Arc which makes it quite interesting).

Man of Honour
I don't think the 6700 non-XT is worth it now?

I think it needs to be less than £350 to make sense for the non-XT, since you can get the 6700 XT for £380. At £300-£350 I'd take the non-XT over the 6600/6650 XT.

In GN's latest testing the A770 16GB can beat the 3060, but it still seems to be performing consistently slower than the 6700 XT. I guess you're taking a punt on the A770 having room to gain ground, since another 10-15% from drivers would make it very competitive (at 1440p, I think it would give both the 6700 XT and 3060 Ti a good show). In TPU's review, it also scaled better at a higher resolution (1440p seems to be ideal), which maybe suggests the architecture is sound once better optimised. I don't know if Intel have addressed the power consumption though, it was quite a lot higher at idle and under load in launch reviews.

Soldato
I think it needs to be less than £350 to make sense for the non-XT, since you can get the 6700 XT for £380. At £300-£350 I'd take the non-XT over the 6600/6650 XT.

In GN's latest testing the A770 16GB can beat the 3060, but it still seems to be performing consistently slower than the 6700 XT. I guess you're taking a punt on the A770 having room to gain ground, since another 10-15% from drivers would make it very competitive (at 1440p, I think it would give both the 6700 XT and 3060 Ti a good show). In TPU's review, it also scaled better at a higher resolution (1440p seems to be ideal), which maybe suggests the architecture is sound once better optimised. I don't know if Intel have addressed the power consumption though, it was quite a lot higher at idle and under load in launch reviews.

A770 would have been ideal right now but after reading up on this most of today need stability so I'm not constantly hearing the moans of crashing.

Most of the AMD cards come with that Raise The Game Bundle and sell the games I suppose. 6650XT is £319 but might as well get the 6700 and sell the games?

Soldato
@Tetras @oweneades - I was going to give the Intel cards a chance but thinking of picking up a 6700 XT for her build now given some of the reviews on drivers etc. I don't think the 6700 non-XT is worth it now?

I honestly haven't paid too much attention to its pricing (6700 Non XT) but if its priced too close to the 6700XT then get the later.

The biggest issues the A770 (16GB LE model specifically) has rigtht now is the price. The A750 is actually now priced very competitively against the direct competition. @Tetras is correct in that the card scales better as the resolution rises. Right now my A750 is driving 3440x1440 and the loss it takes going up from 2560x1440 is less than the 3060Ti. Now in games the latter is still quicker (although in some areas the gap is definitely closing), but it does show promise. From my own testing I still think there is a driver overhead to overcome as if you can get the GPU to be the full bottleneck the gap is much closer (A750 to 3060Ti).

The power consumption is still an issue in the sense that it needs to be lower at idle. Without messing around too much the card basically runs the memory flat out regardless of load and the core only drops to circa 600Mhz. It's not the end of the world and the fans don't ramp up or anything but just on principle it is annoying.

Man of Honour
A770 would have been ideal right now but after reading up on this most of today need stability so I'm not constantly hearing the moans of crashing.

Most of the AMD cards come with that Raise The Game Bundle and sell the games I suppose. 6650XT is £319 but might as well get the 6700 and sell the games?

Oh, I didn't mean crashing, just visual glitches with AA, ray tracing 'n stuff. Don't think their general stability (once actually in the game) is any worse than anyone else.

I'm not sure if you can easily sell the games or not.

Back
Top Bottom