The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Machs, Fusions etc present a false economy. Compared to a DE setup, they're more expensive when looked at as a total life cost. A typical DE setup will see payback in about 6 or 7 months. You will shave for 50 years.

The blades, as well as being infinitely better quality, are considerably cheaper than disposables. The cream or soap, again, appears much more expensive but will last literally for months. The DE itself is an one-off cost, unless you get the DE upgrade bug ;)

You are less likely to experience rash, ingrown hairs, and rough or patchy bits of beard with a DE. Something like Proraso pre-shave cream is inexpensive and works very well for setting the beard up for shaving. There are many options but this is a cheap and extremeley effective one. Your skin will react more favourably to DE shaving.

On the downside, a DE is not for you if your mornings are time-limited. It's not as quick as using a Mach or whatever, and shaving quickly will result in claret being spilled all over your bathroom. I can vouch for this :o This is the only downside I can think of.

Soldato
I'm the worlds worst for rash, especially on the neck. I now use a Merkur and the results are "OMGWTFLOL". (i.e. excellent).

In addition, I use a cream called "Prep" under a KOS sensitive skin cream then re-moisturise with E45 cream

So, WIN

Soldato
A side question - I don't use a cream / gel / oil / whatever - I simply shower (to soften / wet the beard) then use my mach 3.

Would I be able to shower then Merkur without creams / oils / gels? I don't like using these, you see.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;15088383 said:
On the downside, a DE is not for you if your mornings are time-limited. It's not as quick as using a Mach or whatever, and shaving quickly will result in claret being spilled all over your bathroom. I can vouch for this :o This is the only downside I can think of.

Yep, you do have to be a bit more careful, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

NEVER rush with a Feather blade. They're the sharpest/best, but can make hella mess of your face if you're not careful. Other blades are better for beginners for sure, such as Wilkinson Sword, Derby etc..

Man of Honour
Ditch the Gillete its all style over substance imo...

Get a good quality wilkinson sword - doesn't have to be a DE - and use a shaving oil such as king of shaves.

Man of Honour
Lol the vid on the king of shaves page is nuts...

I've seen lots of praise for them in magazines, etc. seen all the awards - but I've not met a single person whos actually used one or anyone who reccomends them... and not tried them myself...

Soldato
OP
Hmm might just get me a merkur then. Already had some suggestions on which one to get anyone got anymore suggestions about a good entry level merkur?

Soldato
I agree with the merkur guys, I bought the merkur 34c HD and haven't looked back, if you get this with a decent cream / brush you will actually enjoy shaving, honest

I always got a rash when shaving so just kept stubble and used a beard trimmer for years, tried my hand at DE safety razors and gave it a go as it was pretty cheap (only £24 for the 34c at shaving shack) and haven't had a rash since

Plus I haven't bought a single blade since I started using it almost 12 months ago, I got 24 free with the razor and 30 free with the order of my razor

Associate
just bought a KoS Azor (would bu a safety razor but don't have the money for the initial cost) before the Azor i used a fusion or an m3 power, basically whichever i had the most blades for, since switching to the Azor i'm getting a closer shave with no irritation at all. Will still probably buy a Merkur when I can afford it tho

Soldato
I am tempted. I am so sick of paying £8 for a poxy packet of 5 gillette razors which last me 3 shaves before they start going bunt. I do tend to be quick at shaving and would have to slow it down with these safety razors, but with the amount of money saved and the amount of times I hear you people rave on about them.. I must be missing out!

Am keeping an eye on this thread for the best deal... hit us!

Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom