The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Many moons ago I inadvertantly ran out of foam and really had to shave. Not really into self harm so I looked around the bathroom for a substitute and my eyes settled on the hair conditioner. And I seriously have not bought any shaving products since ! Although I must confess that I was given a free sample of some gel and balm and have to admit that these products have moved on over the years.

With the hair conditioner I figured that as it softens hair it might do a job. Washed face, left beard wet, applied conditioner, cleaned teeth while conditioner did its stuff and had a really smooth clean shave. You have to keep your face wet as it dries out but as a free (have wife and adult daughter) shaving lube it is highly recommended.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I wonder how much business Merkur have picked up from OcUK over the years :D.

Make sure you check out Mantic59's youtube videos there's lots of tips for how to shave properly and not stab yourself with the blade. It's definitely worth looking at blade sampler packs. I didn't really get on with Merkur blades but I find Derby's fine. £10 for 100 is great too.

Also, am I the only lunatic who bought a Merkur 39C Slant as my first DE razor? :o. Mine also came with a very nice aluminium (I think) box :).

Associate
If that was aimed at me, ta. :)

So brush and stand?

And as for shaving cream anything from this page?

Yep, that's the same brush & stand as I have & it works fine & yea any of the Taylors stuff comes highly recommended from my mate, pick one you like the sound of & try it out, come back once you've tried it out & tell us what you think.

I hope you enjoy it all, I used to hate shaving, now I actually enjoy the whole process.

Soldato
Lovely thanks. I'm set on the razor, blades, brush and stand. Just need to decide on the actual shaving cream. The Proraso stuff looks good for having the pre and post shave stuff. How long do you leave the pre shave stuff on before actually shaving? And is the post shave stuff pretty much after shave?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Got my Merkur 38C and a bunch of Derby, Israeli and Feather blades delivered the other day. I'm still using the single Merkur blade that came with the razor, and I'm very pleased I made the switch from my old Fusion!

I haven't bought a brush and proper soap yet though, simply because I don't have the money. But I'm finding the King of Shaves gel a big improvement over the aerosol Gillette gel which I'd previously used pretty much exclusively.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys.

A little update...

After a few uses with the Merkur, I am very pleased with it. Although it was difficult to adjust to using it from a crappy fusion, it was totally worth it. I no longer have problems with rash and my skin feels much nicer after a shave. It's much more gentle on my skin as well which is great.

Anyone have any tips with regards to shaving the chin area? I always find this quite hard..

Soldato
I recently ditched my Merkur Futur 7 something for the 34C, which is a much better experience overall. The handle, whilst short actually as a grip and the blade doesn't feel loose as it did in the futur.

Still struggling to shave my chin and upper lip areas though.

Soldato
I recently ditched my Merkur Futur 7 something for the 34C, which is a much better experience overall. The handle, whilst short actually as a grip and the blade doesn't feel loose as it did in the futur.

Still struggling to shave my chin and upper lip areas though.

Thats bizzare, its not loose in my futur. i really have to shave after i get out of the shower otherwise i have problems with my top lip. For those occasions...shhhh....i still have a KoS azure razor on standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom