The New European Super (borefest) League

Soldato
Interesting from a legal standpoint, I dont think UEFA said they couldnt setup a ESL, they just said if they did they couldnt take part in UEFA competition.

Would that be breaking competition laws? I am not sure, but if it is proven to be anti competitive, then it opens a big can of worms for any commercial exclusivity arrangements such as TV deals e.g. The same deals that clubs rely on for their large revenues. Taking this to court could be bad for both sides.

Don
Interesting from a legal standpoint, I dont think UEFA said they couldnt setup a ESL, they just said if they did they couldnt take part in UEFA competition.

Would that be breaking competition laws? I am not sure, but if it is proven to be anti competitive, then it opens a big can of worms for any commercial exclusivity arrangements such as TV deals e.g. The same deals that clubs rely on for their large revenues. Taking this to court could be bad for both sides.
There were threats of sanctions against teams for entering the tournament, including banning players from playing in UEFA & FIFA's international fixtures. Regarding TV contracts, these already meet EU competition laws - this benefits clubs btw, but not supporters.

A lot of people don't want to admit it but there's clearly an issue when UEFA are both an organiser of an event and also a regulator for European football. It's the same with FIFA. Their own financial interests from their own competitions come before governing Europea/World Football. We're about to see another round of 3 FIFA International fixtures crammed into a week, some of which end barely 24 hours before players are due to play for their clubs in a different continent. That's of course if they can play for their clubs as they may have to quarantine for 10 days. Obviously if clubs or players don't wish to go through this, FIFA will be incredibly understanding about it and won't try to suspend them.

Soldato
There were threats of sanctions against teams for entering the tournament, including banning players from playing in UEFA & FIFA's international fixtures. Regarding TV contracts, these already meet EU competition laws - this benefits clubs btw, but not supporters.

A lot of people don't want to admit it but there's clearly an issue when UEFA are both an organiser of an event and also a regulator for European football. It's the same with FIFA. Their own financial interests from their own competitions come before governing Europea/World Football. We're about to see another round of 3 FIFA International fixtures crammed into a week, some of which end barely 24 hours before players are due to play for their clubs in a different continent. That's of course if they can play for their clubs as they may have to quarantine for 10 days. Obviously if clubs or players don't wish to go through this, FIFA will be incredibly understanding about it and won't try to suspend them.

I think everyone and his dog knows how corrupt both organisations are but since everyone threw their toys out of the pram about the super league we kind of left ourselves with these jokers.

Caporegime
I think everyone and his dog knows how corrupt both organisations are but since everyone threw their toys out of the pram about the super league we kind of left ourselves with these jokers.
A lot of the problem with the ESL was having "permanent members" that couldn't be ejected/relegated.

Arsenal are a mid-table EPL team, why should they be permanent members of a "super league". But why should any team, really.

Soldato
A lot of the problem with the ESL was having "permanent members" that couldn't be ejected/relegated.

Arsenal are a mid-table EPL team, why should they be permanent members of a "super league". But why should any team, really.

Arsenal shouldn't be anywhere near the word "super" unless it's followed by the word "****"

Caporegime

fez

fez

Caporegime
I’m putting this in the banter thread because it really is the highest level of banter from Monza’s president

Without the English teams at the moment it would be a junk competition. Lets be honest though, this is probably what Barca/RM would want. Especially Barca.

Caporegime
It is desperation. We all know that the future of football is going to result in English dominance as the other leagues just cannot compete. Even though I do not agree with it. Spain were hanging on with Ronaldo and Messi but both have gone so they have nothing. Bayern can only last so long as their league is a one man show now. Italian league whilst being a lot more competitive than the others has weaker teams in general.

For me personally I would love parity between all the European leagues and would welcome a European Super League but only if it had relegation and promotion.

10-15 years ago winning the Champions League as an English team was a major feat but now winning the league seems far more prestigious. Champions League is almost becoming a second tier competition to the Premier League which it shouldn't be.

Soldato
I still think the champions league is the pinnacle but there’s tons of Mickey Mouse games in it now a days. I don’t pay much attention to it till it gets to the knockouts, rest of it is a waste of time.

And I’m guessing this new format coming up in 2024 will make that worse not better.

Soldato
So this has reared it's head again following the European Court of Justice ruling.

New proposal on the table and this taken straight from BBC.

The proposal is a league system with 64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members.

It comes after the European Court of Justice said banning clubs from joining a European Super League was unlawful.

Just hope the English clubs learn their lesson and take on board the feedback from last time around

Soldato
So this has reared it's head again following the European Court of Justice ruling.

New proposal on the table and this taken straight from BBC.

The proposal is a league system with 64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members.

It comes after the European Court of Justice said banning clubs from joining a European Super League was unlawful.

Just hope the English clubs learn their lesson and take on board the feedback from last time around

Hope so as well, would be so **** if this goes ahead. We really need everyone to stick together in this.

Soldato
Wasnt the super league just a champions league replacement and normal leagues such as the PL, la liga, seri a etc would hsve still been a thing. They've essentially adapted the league format for the CL anyway

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom