The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Bought a new tripod to replace my aging and smaller Benro, I got the ST-124 legs, still researching a decent ball head to go with it so using the cheap Benro one from my old one for now. The Joby 3k is also quite new but never posted it before.

53667858020_70fa481b1f_b_d.jpg

I also bought a couple of Kupo CL20MK light stands (only one was in store though, I have to collect the 2nd one tomorrow) for my AD200's, as well as a few modifiers.

53667753669_8cb0a3b4dc_b_d.jpg

53667613063_1866af029c_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Before you buy ANY camera, make sure you can change the menu to English...some you can't, and are region specific.

Yes! Definitely good advice. I noticed they also sell some international models also which can have language changed and set to PAL frame rate etc.

X100VIs are completely sold out here. Most camera stores aren't even showing / advertising them in the Fuji sections, if you ask the store assistants, they say no out of stock and chuckle.

I had a look at XT-5, it's really nice, but I can't help thinking that I'll end up pixel peeping and missing the full frame performance. Even though it would be a secondary / travel camera.

Also has a look at the Sony A7cii, amazingly compact for full frame but the lack of joystick for AF selection would drive me nuts.

Last edited:
Associate
Another bit of purchasing news. I've bought new lenses, for the first time in 6 something years I think?! My first RF lenses.

After much internal thought about what to do about Canon and their infuriating ways regarding 3rd party lenses I was close to considering Fuji Film as a second camera by going for a smaller body APS-C camera for travel. I've (so far) resisted the pull of the X100VI and instead, invested in some lenses that will see me make use of my R5 on a trip to Japan.

I really love the R5, it feels great even without the grip, the buttons and wheels are in places that feel like second nature / home, the IQ and DR are great and the AF still blows me away. I am not, though, much of a fan of the weight of the EF lenses I have, specifically for travel. Especially when the required EF to RF mount is added to the R5.

Briefly:

The RF 24-105L is just incredible, it's literally the fastest focusing lens I've ever used. I have a EF 24-105L MK1, and it's a great upgrade in focusing and good upgrade in sharpness. The range is great, and I think, if I can continue to stick it out with Canon, this lenses won't ever be sold on. Perfect travel lens.

Now.. these primes.. There are compromises all over the place with these lenses. They are not optically perfect and not weather sealed, the AF speed is worlds apart using these STM driven AF motors. But the lenses are ridiculously lightweight and cheap in cost. The weird world of Canon means we have 'budget' primes like these, and then we have £2000+ primes, of course; it's still a Canon only party, and absolutely nothing in between. Sigh...

The RF 16mm 2.8 literally relies so heavily on software correction, it only becomes 16mm AFTER software correction :D.

The 28mm pancake is just so fun, it makes my R5 almost pocketable. Stop it down by a stop and it becomes very sharp. The front element is plastic, plastic! It's tiny and light, and produces very good results.

The RF 35mm 1.8 - It's so close to 28mm, I question why I wanted it. But it's 1.8 instead of 2.8, has quite decent macro capabilities and has IS. I love my EF Sigma 35mm Art, but it's double the weight of this lens and the RF produces quite comparable results IMO.

I've swallowed the compromises in favour of actually wanting to take my R5 out with me on travel. Shall see how I get on!

f

Another bit of purchasing news. I've bought new lenses, for the first time in 6 something years I think?! My first RF lenses.

After much internal thought about what to do about Canon and their infuriating ways regarding 3rd party lenses I was close to considering Fuji Film as a second camera by going for a smaller body APS-C camera for travel. I've (so far) resisted the pull of the X100VI and instead, invested in some lenses that will see me make use of my R5 on a trip to Japan.

I really love the R5, it feels great even without the grip, the buttons and wheels are in places that feel like second nature / home, the IQ and DR are great and the AF still blows me away. I am not, though, much of a fan of the weight of the EF lenses I have, specifically for travel. Especially when the required EF to RF mount is added to the R5.

Briefly:

The RF 24-105L is just incredible, it's literally the fastest focusing lens I've ever used. I have a EF 24-105L MK1, and it's a great upgrade in focusing and good upgrade in sharpness. The range is great, and I think, if I can continue to stick it out with Canon, this lenses won't ever be sold on. Perfect travel lens.

Now.. these primes.. There are compromises all over the place with these lenses. They are not optically perfect and not weather sealed, the AF speed is worlds apart using these STM driven AF motors. But the lenses are ridiculously lightweight and cheap in cost. The weird world of Canon means we have 'budget' primes like these, and then we have £2000+ primes, of course; it's still a Canon only party, and absolutely nothing in between. Sigh...

The RF 16mm 2.8 literally relies so heavily on software correction, it only becomes 16mm AFTER software correction :D.

The 28mm pancake is just so fun, it makes my R5 almost pocketable. Stop it down by a stop and it becomes very sharp. The front element is plastic, plastic! It's tiny and light, and produces very good results.

The RF 35mm 1.8 - It's so close to 28mm, I question why I wanted it. But it's 1.8 instead of 2.8, has quite decent macro capabilities and has IS. I love my EF Sigma 35mm Art, but it's double the weight of this lens and the RF produces quite comparable results IMO.

I've swallowed the compromises in favour of actually wanting to take my R5 out with me on travel. Shall see how I get on!

BVbWilN.jpeg

After having played with a few bodies at the photography show it was time for me to upgrade my aging 650D APS-C DSLR. I went with something very similar, 16, 24 IS macro, and the 24-105 with a R8 body. Love the portability of the R8 with a small prime, and took it on holiday recently in a 3L peak design sling which fits the 24-105 on the R8 or 2-3 small primes. Love it!

Caporegime
Yes! Definitely good advice. I noticed they also sell some international models also which can have language changed and set to PAL frame rate etc.

X100VIs are completely sold out here. Most camera stores aren't even showing / advertising them in the Fuji sections, if you ask the store assistants, they say no out of stock and chuckle.

I had a look at XT-5, it's really nice, but I can't help thinking that I'll end up pixel peeping and missing the full frame performance. Even though it would be a secondary / travel camera.

Also has a look at the Sony A7cii, amazingly compact for full frame but the lack of joystick for AF selection would drive me nuts.

The XT5 was £1299 at the Photography Show last month, just so you know where the floor for that camera is now for new. I suspect sales have slowed/new model on the way in the next year or so.

Soldato
Some basic willy waving from me. A plain old 6"er, but punches for its weight.

A6000 with kits lens. 2nd hand, unboxed, but 968 shutter count, 2 batteries, Sony charger and Sony case/bag. £300 inc.
Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3, £450, new.
Sigma 30mm F1.4 (33B965) £309, new.
Joby GorillaPod 3K - £50, new.
Sony BC-TRW UK Travel Charger - £39, new.
HangTon 5V USB to NP-FW50 DC Coupler Dummy Battery for Sony Series Camera - £17.90, new

Not had chance to test the new Sigma 30mm much yet but heres some pics. All jpg, couple cropped.

iv1WJ9ch.jpg

I2jvhFch.jpg

Tamron 18-300
unK8T25h.jpg

zRt7qxph.jpg

PiXyjwPh.jpg

avlkg9Zh.jpg

2IA3vUFh.jpg

P4nryqxh.jpg

Sigma

Didnt know my GF was taking this, turned out well :D

slk83EMh.jpg

PRdjEdSh.jpg
I’ve just bought the sigma 30mm for my a6000 too.

Now looking for a decent bag. The one @Raymond Lin bought looks fantastic but way out of my budget.

Caporegime

Now looking for a decent bag. The one @Raymond Lin bought looks fantastic but way out of my budget.

The Wotancraft Cordura Upgrade?

It works out to about £85. Not cheap but I think it is worth it,. If you want something cheaper then I would look to Tenba bags. The backpack I got recently cost less than the Wotancraft and just as well made.

Soldato

The Lowepro Adventura TLZ 30 III fits the A6000 and Sigma 30mm nicely.
The Lowepro Apex 120 AW fits the A6000, Sigma 30mm and Tamron 18-300.

I've been using this though as its easier to carry, look less of a camera nerd and less likely to get robbed with almost 1k worth of camera gear.
Nike 'hip' bag. It's 10l crossbody bag which I'll use for long weekends and city breaks to travel light. It was £26 I thnk in a Nike store on offer a few weeks ago.
Basic, but still pretty comfy to wear and easy to get the camera out quickly - https://www.nike.com/my/t/tech-hip-pack-CXfVh3

3XwCfUNh.jpg

v5H9F3Xh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

Just wanting some recommendations from the photography gurus please.
I’m relatively newish to this, but of experience from years ago, but haven’t the foggiest of what’s new nowadays.

I’m wanting to pick up a new camera to get back in to photography and was just after some recommendations please? I don’t have a set budget but wouldn’t want to spend more than 1-1.5k. I’m more of a one lens does all man.

Any advice, recommendations and help would be great and very much appreciated :) tia

Soldato
Hi all,

Just wanting some recommendations from the photography gurus please.
I’m relatively newish to this, but of experience from years ago, but haven’t the foggiest of what’s new nowadays.

I’m wanting to pick up a new camera to get back in to photography and was just after some recommendations please? I don’t have a set budget but wouldn’t want to spend more than 1-1.5k. I’m more of a one lens does all man.

Any advice, recommendations and help would be great and very much appreciated :) tia

probably better off making a separate thread for this

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom