The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
I wish I had the budget to try the older more limited releases. I just cant justify it at the moment. Maybe in the future. Do please let us know how you get on with the PC18 though I'm very intrigued!!!

If anyone is looking, Masters of Malt has the Lagavulin 16 for a "reasonable" £64, just ordered two bottles, ~£80 seems to be the RRP these days, just finished the last of my current bottle. Very much my favourite still.
Recently gone back to Talisker Dark Storm. I dont know if my taste has developed/moved on but I'm enjoying the standard Talisker 10 to the dark storm, it is a fresh bottle but it dosnt have the same smoke profile I remember. I guess it helps that our SNCO Mess stocks Talisker 10.
It's definitely a splurge for me, spending more than £100 on a bottle is a big mental barrier and not one I want to cross to often.

I haven't had Talisker 10 for about 5 years now, but the conventional wisdom is that it beats out anything else in their core range except maybe the 18, and even that is subjective.

A cask strength well aged Talisker is on my wish list one day.

Soldato
0MLTa5m.jpeg

Got these two recently. The Lagavulin is one of my favourites but I haven’t had the Macallan before, or any other Macallans.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got these two recently. The Lagavulin is one of my favourites but I haven’t had the Macallan before, or any other Macallans.
Lovely Lag. I've not ever tried a Macallan - could never get past their absurdly high prices for what seem to be quite average products, feels like the price is the brand (a bit like how Lagavulin has been getting in recent years). Their older releases are clearly very highly regarded, but their endless special runs really puts me off.

But I'd not say no to a dram!

Back
Top Bottom