The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Oooooh I have a few old Bowmore mini sets kicking about. Might have to look them out!

Edit: Here it is, also got some old glass sets

Last edited:
Soldato
Im a recent viewer of this thread so thought Id share my small collection. I'm not really up to speed on what's what with Whisky, I really wasn't interested till maybe a year ago in my mid-forties. Anyway, it didn't stop me getting bottles as gifts or picking up the odd bottle to keep.

A few pics below, the top pic are the ones I keep away, the bottom is the pile of stuff to work through. Any comments appreciated on any that are work just drinking or any that might be better to store for a special occasion.

I prefer the peaty ones of course, and although Laphroig and Ardbeg are up there, my top choice is probably the Sherry Big Peat or the Mizunara edition.

Also have a real soft spot for the Cask Strength Port Askaig, it took me by surprise, quite different.

Soldato
Im a recent viewer of this thread so thought Id share my small collection. I'm not really up to speed on what's what with Whisky, I really wasn't interested till maybe a year ago in my mid-forties. Anyway, it didn't stop me getting bottles as gifts or picking up the odd bottle to keep.

A few pics below, the top pic are the ones I keep away, the bottom is the pile of stuff to work through. Any comments appreciated on any that are work just drinking or any that might be better to store for a special occasion.

I prefer the peaty ones of course, and although Laphroig and Ardbeg are up there, my top choice is probably the Sherry Big Peat or the Mizunara edition.

Also have a real soft spot for the Cask Strength Port Askaig, it took me by surprise, quite different.

Nice collection, did you try the Hazelburn CV yet? Or the Glenmo 25?

For the Bowmore's I think it's generally the case that if it was distilled in the 70s it is pretty special (or the 60s = legendary)

Soldato
OP
Nice collection, did you try the Hazelburn CV yet? Or the Glenmo 25?

For the Bowmore's I think it's generally the case that if it was distilled in the 70s it is pretty special (or the 60s = legendary)
All the Springbank Distillery CV bottlings were superb. The Longrow especially.

Soldato

Collection Pictures
That is an impressive collection @Axeboy I salute you!

Soldato
Soldato
Decided to get the booze cupboard organised. Lots of duplicates and almost finished bottles - must get a shift in!

ASKusNN.jpeg

I understand the moutais might be worth a bit - one is 90% full the other is unopened.

The Jura 10 at the back is about 13 years old, too symbolic to drink now lol.

ITtYtCf.jpeg

The Cotswold one has been relegated to the kitchen cupboard for whiskey gingers. Think it was just a token Christmas gift, not sure how drinkable it is on its own!

The rum is from the Mauritius distillery - haven't touched it for 6 years now. Not sure how well it lasts!

OLsHqbJ.jpeg

Old Monk is lethal - bought as a reminder of my first trip to India where we went on a modern Volvo bus and almost died. It didn't help we were a bottle of old monk in and had learnt the Hindu word for 'faster'.

Soldato
Decided to get the booze cupboard organised. Lots of duplicates and almost finished bottles - must get a shift in!

ASKusNN.jpeg

I understand the moutais might be worth a bit - one is 90% full the other is unopened.

ITtYtCf.jpeg

The Cotswold one has been relegated to the kitchen cupboard for whiskey gingers. Think it was just a token Christmas gift, not sure how drinkable it is on its own!

The rum is from the Mauritius distillery - haven't touched it for 6 years now. Not sure how well it lasts!

OLsHqbJ.jpeg

Old Monk is lethal - bought as a reminder of my first trip to India where we went on a modern Volvo bus and almost died. It didn't help we were a bottle of old monk in and had learnt the Hindu word for 'faster'.
That's a proper fun booze selection. You've got some great bottles in there too.

I'm just off to look up Old Monk...

Last edited:
Soldato

ASKusNN.jpeg

ITtYtCf.jpeg

OLsHqbJ.jpeg

Looks like you'd be better off buying fewer, more interesting bottles than lots of mediocre fare. Don't get me wrong, lots of those are quite nice (Talisker 10, Balvenie 14, Laga 16, Ardbeg 10), but I can understand why the Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, Aberfeldy 12, Auchentoshan American Oak, the long opened Jura, OP 12 Talisker Storm and Glenfiddich 12 have hung around for so long.

Soldato
Looks like you'd be better off buying fewer, more interesting bottles than lots of mediocre fare. Don't get me wrong, lots of those are quite nice (Talisker 10, Balvenie 14, Laga 16, Ardbeg 10), but I can understand why the Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, Aberfeldy 12, Auchentoshan American Oak, the long opened Jura, OP 12 Talisker Storm and Glenfiddich 12 have hung around for so long.
I'm not passing judgement on @dlockers collection,but I'm the same. At one stage I had 26 bottles in my collection, all opened and some some for several years. Nowadays I am more selective with my choices.

Soldato
Bagged a few new ones to try. I really do enjoy some of the rarer Big Peats, mainly the Sherry Storm and Mizunara, so thought Id try the Old Particular.

While there, they were offering this cheap cheap blend with some Peaty Islay, so thought why not. Might be awful, probably will be, but hey, science!

Associate
I'm a Big Peat fan. Sorry no photo but here's what I have:
Big Peat - just the plain standard version
Christmas Edition 2015 - unopened
Christmas Edition 2021 - massive peat hit on this - my favourite!
Christmas Edition 2022 - ok but nothing like the 2021
Edinburgh Edition #2 - sweet peat. Thought this was very good for the price £28.35!
Beach BBQ Edition – Fèis Ìle 2022
The Smokehouse Edition Fèis ìle 2023 - the finish didn't do much for me. Meh :(

Douglas Laing sometimes have good sales so I've bought quite a few directly from them.

Soldato
I wasnt a big fan of the Beach BBQ version personally. I was tempted by the Smokehouse but might skip it.

Yeah, Ive got quite a few sitting in a cupboard too. One is the Xmas edition just passed but I do have an older unopened one, I might have to find out what year.

Soldato
I'm relatively new to the whole whisky thing. I've drank a lot of it over the years majority of it has been "swill"... your bargain basement *****. only in the last couple of years or so have I ventured into the more cultured brands.
I can hands down say that I'm a huge fan of the traditional Islay flavor profile. It started with being given a dram of Talisker storm on a Mess function by a friend and has then developed into a love/fascination with that heavily peated/smokey taste. I've tired a number of different whiskys since from many different regions but Islay/peated whisky's keep pulling me back in. Its probably a bit controversial but Talisker Dark Storm was my favorite, and I've recently just polished off a bottle and awaiting delivery of my next bottle, as well as a Lagavuilin 16.

However in the meantime I'm enjoying a Laphroig 10 that I grabbed at tesco. Whilst I eagerly await my delivery. I'm sitting here wondering why I hadnt given this a try before. Its a revelation! What a taste. I can understand how it could be considered as a bit of a marmite flavor profile but damn... I'm re-evaluating purchases here... :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm relatively new to the whole whisky thing. I've drank a lot of it over the years majority of it has been "swill"... your bargain basement *****. only in the last couple of years or so have I ventured into the more cultured brands.
I can hands down say that I'm a huge fan of the traditional Islay flavor profile. It started with being given a dram of Talisker storm on a Mess function by a friend and has then developed into a love/fascination with that heavily peated/smokey taste. I've tired a number of different whiskys since from many different regions but Islay/peated whisky's keep pulling me back in. Its probably a bit controversial but Talisker Dark Storm was my favorite, and I've recently just polished off a bottle and awaiting delivery of my next bottle, as well as a Lagavuilin 16.

However in the meantime I'm enjoying a Laphroig 10 that I grabbed at tesco. Whilst I eagerly await my delivery. I'm sitting here wondering why I hadnt given this a try before. Its a revelation! What a taste. I can understand how it could be considered as a bit of a marmite flavor profile but damn... I'm re-evaluating purchases here... :eek:
Look out for Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength or Lore next. Might not be able to find either in the supermarket, but both are very good at a reasonable price point. The former is like the normal 10 on steroids with a massive flavour profile, and the Lore is more complex and interesting with some much more aged liquid in it.

Back
Top Bottom