Poll: *** The Official 2024 iPad thread (the Pro has the M4 chip and everything!) ***

Which 2024 iPad are you going to buy?

• Total voters
Associate
It kinda feels like the "Pro" line is very much being marketed at the high end at Creative Professionals, etc who really, really need it with the Air now becoming the more general iPad for most people.

Agreed. I have the current Pro, and an older one and they are great but this new level of spec is beyond anything I would need although I can admire it and form factor. I really want a mini for note taking and now I'm looking that larger air for content and media which I absolutely do not need!! The new Pro's wouldn't be in the equation for me me unless I worked in the specific industries it now appears to aimed at.

Soldato
It was said that the M4 has M2 power for a quarter the power consumption. I'm assuming that will mean it runs cooler too

For Apple apps, maybe you are right. For third party apps including Adobe - very unlikely. The software optimization just isn't there, I spent months going back and fourth with Adobe engineers and the only solution was to enable 'power saver mode' when using Lightroom that throttles the CPU and thus prevents overheating.

I really do hope you are right though and the experience is greatly improved on this new one!

Last edited:
Soldato
Also guessing this new one will still work with the old keyboard for the M2 Pro.

Even if I do upgrade I can't stomach yet another £350 on a keyboard.

Also what do you do with the old one? Last time I researched this there wasn't much of a second hand market for them. Apple have missed a trick not allowing you to trade them in with your old iPad.

Caporegime
Also guessing this new one will still work with the old keyboard for the M2 Pro.

Even if I do upgrade I can't stomach yet another £350 on a keyboard.

Also what do you do with the old one? Last time I researched this there wasn't much of a second hand market for them. Apple have missed a trick not allowing you to trade them in with your old iPad.

Personally I am going to stick with my Air and keyboard until they die, treat them as 1 unit. (Which would be a long time) There is not much wrong with the old Magic Keyboard anyway. My only nitpick with it is that it is heavy, but it's also a good thing as it needs a counter balance to stop it topple over so easily when tilt back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I am going to stick with my Air and keyboard until they die, treat them as 1 unit. (Which would be a long time) There is not much wrong with the old Magic Keyboard anyway. My only nitpick with it is that it is heavy, but it's also a good thing as it needs a counter balance to stop it topple over so easily when tilt back.

I'm in the process of finding out if the existing/old keyboard works with the new one. If so, I may take a punt purely for the M2 CPU issues with Lightroom. Trade in isn't too bad so the upgrade is looking far less expensive than I thought it would be.

Associate
Ordered the new iPad Air to replace my Dad’s aging iPad Air 2. I’ll probably hold off ordering the 11” Pro to see what the reviews and user comments are like, my 2018 model will hold on for another year unless IOS18 offers are compelling reason to upgrade.

Soldato
Apple confirmed the iPad M4 is only compatible with the new Magic Keyboard, not the existing one.

I'm out. Always happy to pay a premium for their technology but £350 for a keyboard is just taking the complete urine.

Soldato
I’m in the process of trading in my 2019 3rd Gen iPad Pro for £270. Also got £90 credit for my old iPhone XS so I’ll weigh up my options tomorrow.

I tend to buy off the refurb store since hardware comes with a new battery. Really want a Pro M1/2 but it is so overkill as mentioned many times here.

Soldato
If anyone on here has the M2 Pro and has ordered the new M4 Pro and will have the opportunity to see if it works with their old magic keyboard, I'd be hugely grateful if you could let me know if it does in fact work.

It may be the case Apple don't want to admit the old keyboard works with the new iPad (for obvious commercial reasons) when it actually does - but we're not going to know for sure until people get hands on.

Associate
The refurbed iPad Pro gen 3s are £549 vs £599 for a new Air.

I understand the refurbs have new shells and screens as well as a new battery, I think that's the route I am going to go down, 120Hz trumps the better CPU on the air IMO (for my use case anyway).

Soldato
I think the multi cam recording feature looked pretty sweet, and a great use of the increased spec.

It might be time for me to upgrade my 2015 13" iPad Pro and get one of the new 13" Airs, very useful as a 2nd monitor for my Macbook when out and about.

The pro looks great, but once you add a pro keyboard and pro pencil to the base model it's still £1800, which is a bit mad.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am currious as to why the battery life of iPad's have remained exactly the same as the very first iPad that was introduced. Even when Apple transitioned iPad's to the M-Series chips, there has been no improvement to the battery life and yet MacBooks have had a substantial improvement.

Last edited:
Soldato
MacBooks were using Intel x86 architecture whereas I assume iPad was already using some custom ARM based CPU?

They have gotten a lot more capable, so I guess it balances out. Sounds like most people would prefer battery life though.

Last edited:
Soldato
On a 2nd Gen 12.9” Pro (the first one w/Face ID) so was waiting for OLED to upgrade - hooray. Use this more than anything else at home so worth the money for me and I’ll probably be able to get a blue light discount on it.

Personally I love the keyboard folio case as it strikes a great balance between portable and decent to actually type on, so won’t be getting the Magic Keyboard as that’s always been the more ‘stationary’ option.

Back
Top Bottom