****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
:mad::mad: It's back to being locked on 4g again. Can anyone tell me what the top light represents on a ZTE MC888? After the reset the top two lights didn't light up, after a while the 2nd to top light lit up, still on 5g, now the top light has lit up and no more 5g. I reset the device over an hour ago and the device has only just completely come alive.
Just thinking... Any firmware updates for it? Sorry can't remember if this is an isp router or unlocked oem.

Associate
Just thinking... Any firmware updates for it? Sorry can't remember if this is an isp router or unlocked oem.
It's an ISP router so can't manually update it, I've checked for updates but none found. Would be great if I could put my own firmware on it!

I've just found someone else on another forum with exactly the same issue as me which also started just over a week ago, proper suspicious now!

Soldato
It's an ISP router so can't manually update it, I've checked for updates but none found. Would be great if I could put my own firmware on it!

I've just found someone else on another forum with exactly the same issue as me which also started just over a week ago, proper suspicious now!

You could buy a used Zyxel and see if that has the same issue, if it doesn't then you have evidence to Three that your router is faulty and should still be under warranty with them? Even if it is not, and you are in contract, you can tell them send you a new one, or release you form the contract as you cannot use the supplied service with the hardware provided.

Associate
You could buy a used Zyxel and see if that has the same issue, if it doesn't then you have evidence to Three that your router is faulty and should still be under warranty with them? Even if it is not, and you are in contract, you can tell them send you a new one, or release you form the contract as you cannot use the supplied service with the hardware provided.
Yeah, think this is my only option. Only had it since August last year and it's been solid since then.

Associate
Might be able to walk in a Three store and see if they can give you a replacement new 5g modem/router.

You can also try another factory reset and see if you can get 5g again. That will be a good test and reason to get it swapped.

Associate
Might be able to walk in a Three store and see if they can give you a replacement new 5g modem/router.

You can also try another factory reset and see if you can get 5g again. That will be a good test and reason to get it swapped.
Going to nip in over the weekend. I've factory reset it a handful of times now and only the first time did I briefly get 5g.

Soldato
Managed to get a good renewal on my EE 5G SIM which is in the primary router. I was paying £30 a month (including my discount). Tried to switch to a 1 month rolling SIM, as with discount it would have been £28 a month. So a £2 saving. I ended up having to call though as it turns out the order didn't complete (can't use discount on a 1 month SIM plan). The guy was really helpful though and found me a better deal with some discount - came in at £22 a month. :cool: That is full speed uncapped. It is 24 months but I can live with that. Even with the £1.50 yearly increases, it will still be less than what I was paying.

Associate
I've just got a Google Pixel 7a. I've been messing around tethering it to my PC. I'm averaging around 200/250. Best I've seen, untethered, was in our bathroom which is at the front of the house - 524.9 Mbps.
We're currently on 3 4g for home internet and rarely see 50Mbps through the router.

Soldato
So it arrived and it works. But it seems to drop from 4g to 5g randomly.

My phone doesn't do this, so I don't think it's a signal issue.
Have you set the connection to under Broadband > Cellular Band iirc to NR5G-NSA. Instead of on Auto switch? If you get 5G what are the stats showing under Cellular Info? Same provider on phone and router?

Caporegime
Have you set the connection to under Broadband > Cellular Band iirc to NR5G-NSA. Instead of on Auto switch? If you get 5G what are the stats showing under Cellular Info? Same provider on phone and router?

I lose everything if I do that.

Yes, both Vodafone.

Soldato
Yep I agree. It does sound like a placement issue. @Begbie have you popped the zyxel air app on your phone and connected to the WiFi on the router. It'll give you signal stats so useful for finding a suitable spot. FYI it can take a few seconds for the app to update when moving the router.

Back
Top Bottom