Poll: *** The official Apple Vision Pro thread (it has an M2, an R1, loads of cameras, a whopping price tag and everything!) ***

Apple Vision Pro - Are you going to buy one?

• Total voters
Associate
The way the world works - Apple would incentivise google and Netflix to develop the apps for new hardware
For the most part I think Apple assume companies will do it regardless given their user-base. The big move to web apps is arguably going to work against them with this model.

Soldato
It's literally a box you tick to make the app available on the Vision Pro, no development needed to run the stock iOS Netflix/YouTube apps.
There may be other things to consider - supporting the app, quality assurance etc. They could also be content licensing issues that they need to consider. Or it could just be spite!

Caporegime
I’m sure some people will absolutely love it but I can’t see it taking off for the mainstream, particularly families. Famous last words I’m sure. Never bet against Apple.

Apple has had as many failures as successes; it's just that the successes are particularly memorable.

I think we'll see some of the technology here succeed, but I just don't see the product itself becoming anything other than a niche oddity.

Commissario
OP
Never bet against Apple.
And that's the thing. I remember people chuckling at the iPad when it was first launched and as for the general feelings about AirPods, I was one of the many who absolutely thought they were a joke. I bought a pair, fully expecting to return them within the 14 day period but very quickly realised they were a real improvement on all the earbud things I'd used before.

But this is a niche product, it can't have the same penetration as iPads and AirPods, not at that price.

Soldato
I think we'll see some of the technology here succeed,

That's honestly the main reason we should be supportive of this, yes it might not be the next iPhone, or iPad or whatever in terms of numbers out of the door, but the trickle down of technology from this could be amazing. Same affect is places like F1, Nasa have in to modern day technology happens with these big innovations.

Soldato
Earnest and honest question though - what is the new technology that could trickle down? In terms of hardware I don’t think there’s much new here but maybe there is some clever spacial software going on?

Soldato
I might have missed this in the thread but is there an Apple event before the 2nd of February for the Vision Pro? If not when is the next Apple event likely to be? I'm curious because I'm waiting for some USB-C items.

Soldato
I might have missed this in the thread but is there an Apple event before the 2nd of February for the Vision Pro? If not when is the next Apple event likely to be? I'm curious because I'm waiting for some USB-C items.
I don't believe there's anything else until WWDC in June where we might see some hardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
Earnest and honest question though - what is the new technology that could trickle down? In terms of hardware I don’t think there’s much new here but maybe there is some clever spacial software going on?

5000 patents apparently provided for the Vision Pro, so 5000 new ideas/technological solutions etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
But it wouldn't be apple, it would be google and Netflix.
The way the world works - Apple would incentivise google and Netflix to develop the apps for new hardware

It is totally normal to reach an agreement where the development costs incurred by Google or Netflix are somehow compensated by Apple - either directly or through some other sort of mutually beneficial arrangement.

That is how the business world works....

It's literally a box you tick to make the app available on the Vision Pro, no development needed to run the stock iOS Netflix/YouTube apps.

Perhaps Netflix and Google believe that this would give their customers a sub-standard experience?

Soldato
That's a particularly optimistic take on how patents behave in the modern world.

Not really optimistic, it's potential which is the main thing. With a bonus for Apple if any of these ideas do pan out to other SKUs in their business. Which can be a win for the consumer. Although knowing Apple at a crazy upsell. Not that all will be incorporated into the device or anything, but the R&D journey is often overlooked.

Caporegime
And that's the thing. I remember people chuckling at the iPad when it was first launched and as for the general feelings about AirPods, I was one of the many who absolutely thought they were a joke. I bought a pair, fully expecting to return them within the 14 day period but very quickly realised they were a real improvement on all the earbud things I'd used before.

But this is a niche product, it can't have the same penetration as iPads and AirPods, not at that price.

Good points, I was trying to think what price point would I be interested in these. I don't even think I would be interested at £250 but this is very early days. I remember everyone slaughtering the airpod, both online and in my real life. I now barely know anyone without a set!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think the vision pro looks super interesting personally. I will definitely be trying one out. I expect they won't be great value for money ultimately but the promotional videos do make some things look amazing.

Soldato
I think the vision pro looks super interesting personally. I will definitely be trying one out. I expect they won't be great value for money ultimately but the promotional videos do make some things look amazing.

They have some practicality issues to resolve as well. Even if using the product and software is great, the two major issues is a short battery life and nearly every early preview article has said the person using the device got a sore neck after just 1 hour due to have heavy it was

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom