**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
Well i paid almost £15 for postage, so hopefully it'll be here a little quicker than that.

my first order took 8 working days and my second took just 5 working days.. i think those getting goods delivered to the eu get DHL shipping auto selected as this is the method they guarantee no customs/vat

Soldato
I want the UMI Super too but have been hearing lots of bad things about it:

1: Problematic 4G: This could just be Americans who didn't acknowledge the Super's 4G band specifications though.

2: Terrible GPS system for signal strength and accuracy.

3: Yellow-tinted camera photos although new firmware remedies this but, perhaps, only to a certain degree.

Where did you order from and do you know what kind of plug the phone will come with?

Came today so I can answer a couple of these:
1. Don't know yet as I have switched my sim across to it from my current phone as I am still setting some things up on it.

2. Installed the GPS Test app off the play store which seems to be used in various reviews. Indoors, near a window, phone had locked onto multiple satellites straight away and said it had the location to within 10 feet within 30secs and over time got it down to within 3 feet. Google Maps had my position to that level as well. Frankly I'm happy with that.

3. Not taken many pictures with it but the test ones I have taken (running the latest OTA) seem fine with no obiviously noticable tint when viewed on another system.

I got it from Gearbest and with free shipping it came in 6 days from dispatch. The provided charger in the Umi box is a two-pin euro style one. Gearbest had included a "travel adaptor" to convert this to a UK plug .... this is, on first a inspection, a cheap piece of **** which I'm not putting near any form of electricity ... My multiport USB charger seems to charge it pretty well and quickly.

Why would you buy an Umi which is known for poor quality control. Especially when there are good chinese brands like Xiaomi and Huawei.

Well if this phone is an example of their quality then frankly "known" needs to change. Nice bit of kit which doesn't look or feel cheap or bad quality at all. Having used a Redmi Note 3 (my friend has one) I'd say it's no better or worse than that and doesn't have MIUI on it (which I personally don't like).

Associate
1. Don't know yet as I have switched my sim across to it from my current phone as I am still setting some things up on it.

2. Installed the GPS Test app off the play store which seems to be used in various reviews. Indoors, near a window, phone had locked onto multiple satellites straight away and said it had the location to within 10 feet within 30secs and over time got it down to within 3 feet. Google Maps had my position to that level as well. Frankly I'm happy with that.

3. Not taken many pictures with it but the test ones I have taken (running the latest OTA) seem fine with no obiviously noticable tint when viewed on another system.

I got it from Gearbest and with free shipping it came in 6 days from dispatch. The provided charger in the Umi box is a two-pin euro style one. Gearbest had included a "travel adaptor" to convert this to a UK plug .... this is, on first a inspection, a cheap piece of **** which I'm not putting near any form of electricity ... My multiport USB charger seems to charge it pretty well and quickly.

Well if this phone is an example of their quality then frankly "known" needs to change. Nice bit of kit which doesn't look or feel cheap or bad quality at all. Having used a Redmi Note 3 (my friend has one) I'd say it's no better or worse than that and doesn't have MIUI on it (which I personally don't like).

Thats good if they have improved. But more time is needed imo. Umi Touch also looked like a good phone but more and more problems kept coming for people.

Associate
I want the UMI Super too but have been hearing lots of bad things about it:

1: Problematic 4G: This could just be Americans who didn't acknowledge the Super's 4G band specifications though.

2: Terrible GPS system for signal strength and accuracy.

3: Yellow-tinted camera photos although new firmware remedies this but, perhaps, only to a certain degree.

Where did you order from and do you know what kind of plug the phone will come with?

Just posted a review of it on Youtube, not sure if I'm allowed to post here, but to answer the questions above, 4G is there (had weird issues with speedtest though), GPS works fine (I'm in Toronto, so a relatively big city in NA), but the yellowish tint on the camera is most likely because of focusing issues, the camera doesn't focus properly and in turn colour corrects terribly.

Everything else is great though.

Don't have an RN3 or RN3P but I do have a Redmi 3, for a few months I was neutral on MIUI but the more I use it the more I hate it. RAM management is getting worse and worse as well.

Associate
@zijinzeng
I actually find MIUI pretty nice but I agree that it takes to much RAM memory. 1,2 GB is to much imo.

Are there any ROMs that save you more RAM?

Associate
@zijinzeng
I actually find MIUI pretty nice but I agree that it takes to much RAM memory. 1,2 GB is to much imo.

Are there any ROMs that save you more RAM?

What I dislike the most now that I've been using it for a long time are the animations and icons, the RAM issue has gotten a lot worse. And for now, at least the Redmi 3 does not have a custom ROM. That's why I was so happy with this UMi Super. With 4GB of RAM, I regularly use about 2.8GB without closing anything and never go higher than that (about 40 apps running).

Associate
Pretty laughable happening today.

Was watching funny soundclips with a friend today. I started to play some clips on my RM Note 3 and we had a good laugh. When my friend wanted to play some sound clips on his phone it was frustrating because we could barely hear the sound from his phones speaker. So he had to find the clips he wanted to play on my phone and play. :lol:

His phone: Iphone 6 :lol:

And then I must say that the speaker on RM Note 3 is average. The speaker on the Iphone 6 is horrible though.

Last edited:
Associate
What I dislike the most now that I've been using it for a long time are the animations and icons, the RAM issue has gotten a lot worse. And for now, at least the Redmi 3 does not have a custom ROM. That's why I was so happy with this UMi Super. With 4GB of RAM, I regularly use about 2.8GB without closing anything and never go higher than that (about 40 apps running).

You can turn off the animations in MIUI. I have done that.

I really hope that Umi finally has done a good phone. It is not good that RedMi Note 3 Pro has no competition in its price range.

Hopefully Meizu and Doogee can do good phablets in the future too. M3 Note has to many downfalls and Doogee still waits for a killer.

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty laughable happening today.

Was watching funny soundclips with a friend today. I started to play some clips on my RM Note 3 and we had a good laugh. When my friend wanted to play some sound clips on his phone it was frustrating because we could barely hear the sound from his phones speaker. So he had to find the clips he wanted to play on my phone and play. :lol:

His phone: Iphone 6 :lol:

And then I must say that the speaker on RM Note 3 is average. The speaker on the Iphone 6 is horrible though.

Haha, but the iPhone 6’s speakers aren’t that bad are they? My dad has the iPhone 6 and it sounds OK. Can’t comment on how much better the RN3 is though as I’ve never used it.

Eh? I'm running CM 12.1 on my Redmi 3.

WAT! Stable or nightly? I need to get on that ASAP. Can you comment on RAM management on CM? I’m predicting RAM management is 10x better on CM than it was on MIUI. Can’t believe I missed this, thanks.

You can turn off the animations in MIUI. I have done that.

I really hope that Umi finally has done a good phone. It is not good that RedMi Note 3 Pro has no competition in its price range.

Hopefully Meizu and Doogee can do good phablets in the future too. M3 Note has to many downfalls and Doogee still waits for a killer.

The UMi Super is my first UMi phone, and through comments and just general reading through the internet, I’ve learnt that UMi’s QC, customer service and software updates (Britishpeople don’t put a comma before the “and” in the list do they? I find it weird that north Americans do) has been shoddy in the past to put it lightly. However, For this Super the QC is impeccable at least on my unit, and I’ve gotten 1 update since I’ve used it and a second one is coming. UMi even asked me about the issues I talked about in my video presumably to fix it, so there’s a +1 for customer service.

You know what, I’ll just post my YT review of the UMi Super here so you guys can take a look at it. Mods, if it violates anything, feel free to take it off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom