*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Just started playing this despite having beta access in 2014. Going to take a while to figure a lot out but enjoying fling around with my sticks anyway.
Steep learning curve though. I get a free Eagle for some reason, perhaps some kind of pre-order bonus, I don't know.

Not like there are many options in this genre unfortunately.
The Freagle was a pre order bonus... .as was a cobra mk3 nicely specced out. (it means nothing today but i was over 100 hrs in before i got my cobra - i had the perks but didnt use them as it felt like cheating myself out of the best part of the game)

imo elite shines brightest in the smaller ships

Elite is - or was at launch imo a flawed masterpiece which has sadly not been given anywhere near the love and attention it deserved.

Horizons started well, but i dunno, somewhere along the way of that 1st season it stalled and then since then its been many dissapointments, corner cutting and general going away from the game that was pitched.

even now tho i think the core of the game is good and no other game on the market can touch it for what it does well (not even star citizen)....... sadly the features which keep me playing are not the ones which FD care about (mostly VR).

good game over all but could be so much more. I have had my monies worth out of it tho i guess, even tho i did actually spend big on it primarily based on content which never came, nor will likely come now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I agree the core of the game is good, i think like many games its born out of the love and passion of its creators but then ruined by corporate types, for example people who think up ways of forcing to grind for reasons of players spending many hours in game doing that so they can present those statistics to investors to give them money, with that you end up with the engineering grind.
Not for a second do these people think about how the player base might respond to mechanics like that, nor do they care.

Last edited:
Soldato
I vaguely remember trying CQC once. As stated, pointless.
I gave up pre horizons on their design decisions. Such an incredible waste for a game that I loved before Engineers

A new mission type should have been introduced into the game where you holo-me into a fighter at a location to defend/attack something. And CQC could then have been introduced as a community goal, orchestrating CQC/PvP matches/fights actually in ED rather than a stand alone game collecting dust. With the invasion of the Thargoids, missions for one or more CMDRs in fighters to fight Thargoid scouts could have been leveraged from the mechanics. And, of course, these CQC/fighter mechanics could then have been leveraged for a very small number of specific Powerplay tasks.

And yes, Engineers completely unbalanced the game simply to add in pseudo gameplay at the cost of grind.

Soldato
What does the ranking system restriction even do? I'm a noob at 2nd Dan and just had to fight vs an Assailant... default setting is supposed to be no more than a 3 rank difference right? So for me right now, that should mean no higher than Combatant?

Soldato
What does the ranking system restriction even do? I'm a noob at 2nd Dan and just had to fight vs an Assailant... default setting is supposed to be no more than a 3 rank difference right? So for me right now, that should mean no higher than Combatant?
are you playing the same game as me? edit.... I just realised competent .... sorry I wasn't trying to be sarcastic , it's been a long day and I was confused :). but the below still stands. the game sort of guides who attacks you but still bad things can happen
---_------------

the higher the elite ranking and the bigger the ship you go the more likely you are to get randomly attacked by higher level pirates but there is no guarantee and if you end up near a resource mining site or a combat zone all bets are off (or if you cheese off the security in high sec space)

oh and thargoids hit hard no matter you slice it. if you don't have a specially engineered ship run!

that said.......... more could (and should) have been done to the governmental, security and tech levels of systems . there is some difference but not enough imo

Last edited:
Soldato
are you playing the same game as me? edit.... I just realised competent .... sorry I wasn't trying to be sarcastic , it's been a long day and I was confused :). but the below still stands. the game sort of guides who attacks you but still bad things can happen
---_------------

the higher the elite ranking and the bigger the ship you go the more likely you are to get randomly attacked by higher level pirates but there is no guarantee and if you end up near a resource mining site or a combat zone all bets are off (or if you cheese off the security in high sec space)

oh and thargoids hit hard no matter you slice it. if you don't have a specially engineered ship run!

that said.......... more could (and should) have been done to the governmental, security and tech levels of systems . there is some difference but not enough imo

Oops haha, this was intended for Tekken 8 thread! Not sure how that happened :cry: .

Soldato
I recently got back in to playing Elite purely because of the Steam Deck. It is the just the coolness factor of seeing a game as complex as Elite Dangerous running as well as it does on the Deck. Setting up the control options the deck is actually half the fun sort of. I don't I would ever have been able to play it on just a console controller, but the extra buttons and track pads on the deck just open it all up. And I think the way I play games on the Deck in a more relaxed manner mean I get fun out of Elite just pottering about random mining, ratting and exploring. Not concerned with making credits or doing anything in an optimum manner like I used to want to do on my main PC, just taking it easy. Just took a lift to Colonia to unlock the engineers, and after that I will probably go off exploring. I don't really know why but the Deck has breathed new life back in to game for me.

Regards the recent weirdly positive live stream where they revealed their plans, I was like oh wasn't expecting that, and the realist side of me is going "But you've just fired half your crew? How are you going to do all that?". But even with that nagging doubt, I'm just having fun playing it on the Deck.

Soldato
Ugh... nice to see some development but meh, what a mixed bag of stuff...

Does anybody other than what appears to be a vocal few on the official forums actually play powerplay?

Oh look, all the exciting stuff (don't hold me to the term 'exciting' please) locked behind a massive grind to be even slightly able to cope with it, is there something wrong with allowing players to get involved without grinding for hours?

A new unannounced feature that is exciting and all the usual superlatives that they wont tell us about, again... will they ever learn?

New ships? Great, more engineering grind for a remix of the ships we already have or are they actually going to do something to make them worthwhile over the ships already available? They really need to start adding in ship specific bonus attributes that actually back up the ship descriptions.

VR still disregarded, performance of Odyssey still poor and nowhere near what was promised.

I'm grateful that they are still working on it but jeeeeze, could it be any more lame?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Maybe we’ll be lucky and FD will give the game away to a developer who not only gives a stuff, but can then sort out the mess, eg:
- get rid of engineers, power play, CQC and AX weapons
- update the Thargoids to do something meaningful
- rebalance the economy such that you can’t make millions on doddly squit easy missions
- introduce genuine C&P such that real pirates are considered hostile in controlled space, regardless of where they committed their crimes

Soldato
I agree with much of that... however.... whilst it doesn't really fit with elite, CQC (when it works properly) is actually really good fun imo for an arcade arena shooter
like so many things in elite, it was a really.good start.that was never expanded on . it's like they did 90% of the work then just gave up at the end.

initially it was a standalone product which also worked from within elite, but that standalone got pulled from sale.
if they added in bots for matchmaking (as an option) threw in the odd new map, maybe added some horizons and oddy content (to act as a sales pitch to encourage some to upgrade their game to oddy) it would have a lot more playing it.

other options could be a mode to use your elite ships (with class ratings)... all sorts of stuff and the assets are essentially all there already so surely it's relatively low work for high return

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Thread still makes me sad :( The game that could have been so so much better, but was left in control of spider monkey.

And your correct no one plays powerplay apart from 20 or so Russians. Best thing to happen is Frontier go bankrupt and they have to sell the IP, I win the euro millions are start again :)

Caporegime

That's all well and good but have they now also got their listening hat on?

Maybe we’ll be lucky and FD will give the game away to a developer who not only gives a stuff, but can then sort out the mess, eg:
- get rid of engineers, power play, CQC and AX weapons
- update the Thargoids to do something meaningful
- rebalance the economy such that you can’t make millions on doddly squit easy missions
- introduce genuine C&P such that real pirates are considered hostile in controlled space, regardless of where they committed their crimes

Associate
I got interdicted by one, i could not do any damage to it, let me guess, i have to grind for 60 hours to get the right engendered stuff to take them on?

How annoying... i don't think i'll bother.
You can buy some AX weapons with credits, others you need to mess about with Guardian stuff. I'm not sure if the weapons identify as male or female, though :confused:

Associate
Ugh... nice to see some development but meh, what a mixed bag of stuff...

Does anybody other than what appears to be a vocal few on the official forums actually play powerplay?

Oh look, all the exciting stuff (don't hold me to the term 'exciting' please) locked behind a massive grind to be even slightly able to cope with it, is there something wrong with allowing players to get involved without grinding for hours?

A new unannounced feature that is exciting and all the usual superlatives that they wont tell us about, again... will they ever learn?

New ships? Great, more engineering grind for a remix of the ships we already have or are they actually going to do something to make them worthwhile over the ships already available? They really need to start adding in ship specific bonus attributes that actually back up the ship descriptions.

VR still disregarded, performance of Odyssey still poor and nowhere near what was promised.

I'm grateful that they are still working on it but jeeeeze, could it be any more lame?

Nobody plays powerplay for the simple reason that it sucks. Maybe if they make it better, more people might play it? Certainly, people have been complaining about how crap it is since forever, so it's a bit harsh to criticise FDev for updating it.

Likewise, people have been crying out for new ships for years. Maybe you don't care, but lots of players will be very happy about this.

Of course, whether FDev will deliver anything that's actually "good" is a whole other question! But some people just seem to enjoy complaining, and whatever FDev do they'll get stuck in and have a nice whinge about it :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom