Poll: *** The official M3 24” iMac thread (it has the M3 chip and everything!) ***

Are you getting an M3 iMac?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 100.0%

• Total voters
Associate
It looks like they are releasing the M3 chips early because Mac sales are down. Apple think this is due to not much difference between M1 and M2

Commissario
OP
It looks like they are releasing the M3 chips early because Mac sales are down. Apple think this is due to not much difference between M1 and M2
I disagree with the latter there - They really focussed on the speed difference between the M1 and the M3, they glossed over the difference between the M2 and the M3 because it's not actually very much in comparison.

Soldato
It’s becoming clear we are rounding the top of the S curve when it comes to silicon based processors. Energy generation the performance gap is getting closer and closer.

Die shrinks are getting harder and harder but they also have the added effect of concentrating the heat to a smaller and smaller physical space making it harder to dissipate.

I can’t help but imagine short term shareholder return is also impacting design decisions (short term gains over long term development pipelines) and the need to get a ‘new’ product out every year.

Soldato
Nothing lasts forever, the day when Silicon becomes a bottle neck are not far away I shouldn't imagine but there's new tech and new options out there, the tech just needs to mature and then come properly to market.

I must say though, the lack of updates to the KB/trackpad etc regarding lightning and the fact that there is a clear disconnect between customers and whats being released currently speaks volumes. Apple is hiding something, what it is hiding and when it'll come are however anyone's guess. There is only so long a company can try to push Studio or top end mini + studio display and call it an legit alternative.

Soldato
It's a colourful and compact computer for normies, what do you expect? Parents buy them for their kids so they can keep a better eye on that they are doing online. Other people buy them as trendy office machines. For both use cases they are overkill.

If I didn't play games, I'd have a grant total of zero peripherals plugged into my computer. Even now I only have dongles for my keyboard and mouse, my monitor and a pair of wired headphones plugged in.

If I didn't game, I'd just use Bluetooth for the keyboard, mouse and headphones which the my existing mouse and keyboard already support and I'd almost certainly use use a laptop (probably a Macbook Air) as my only computer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I disagree with the latter there - They really focussed on the speed difference between the M1 and the M3, they glossed over the difference between the M2 and the M3 because it's not actually very much in comparison.
Yeah the M3 feels like a minor iteration. If all Apple can come up with is a minor silicon revision, a new colour and keep on leaning on massively overpriced RAM/SSD upgrades it feels like they're just calling it in at this point.

Soldato
Bit of a (very) minor upgrade, no doubt we'll grab a few, when needed, at work. Although it would be nice to see a 27" or 32" iMac for those that want a bit more real estate.

they might as well kill it off at this point, I dont see anyone really using this
As @b0rn2sk8 says, families and offices (we spend a small fortune on purchasing them for work) are kitted out with iMac's, even schools, colleges and universities use them. It would be a bit silly for Apple to kill off a popular product, especially when alternative AIO's are pretty crud in comparison.

Associate
It's a colourful and compact computer for normies, what do you expect? Parents buy them for their kids so they can keep a better eye on that they are doing online. Other people buy them as trendy office machines. For both use cases they are overkill.

If I didn't play games, I'd have a grant total of zero peripherals plugged into my computer. Even now I only have dongles for my keyboard and mouse, my monitor and a pair of wired headphones plugged in.

If I didn't game, I'd just use Bluetooth for the keyboard, mouse and headphones which the my existing mouse and keyboard already support and I'd almost certainly use use a laptop (probably a Macbook Air) as my only computer.
except the fact that kids dont use this, they can do everything they need to on an phone and anything extra just get an ipad

Associate
Yeah the M3 feels like a minor iteration. If all Apple can come up with is a minor silicon revision, a new colour and keep on leaning on massively overpriced RAM/SSD upgrades it feels like they're just calling it in at this point.
they're not going to get any more big performance jumps from year to year. Like with iphones of the past 5+ years its always been about 20% improvement in speed each year, and the M chips at best will be similar

Associate
Bit of a (very) minor upgrade, no doubt we'll grab a few, when needed, at work. Although it would be nice to see a 27" or 32" iMac for those that want a bit more real estate.

As @b0rn2sk8 says, families and offices (we spend a small fortune on purchasing them for work) are kitted out with iMac's, even schools, colleges and universities use them. It would be a bit silly for Apple to kill off a popular product, especially when alternative AIO's are pretty crud in comparison.

AIO's in general are a pretty dying breed of form factor I think. Can just use a ipad/laptop or mac mini with a much nicer monitor if you need the screen real estate

Back
Top Bottom