Poll: *** The official M3 MacBook Pro thread (it has the M3 chip, is available in Space Black and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an M3 MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 64.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yeah was surprised to see a base 8GB option. That said I am liking the look of the 14” Pro. I see we’ve got weird amounts of RAM in other models now like 18GB and 36GB but all in all it’s looking pretty good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an M1 Air at the moment and love it, but I am tempted by a 14" M3 Pro. My wife's current laptop is my old MacBook Pro I bought back in 2013 so it's getting on a bit and the battery is knackered so she'd get my M1 Air.

I'd also like MagSafe, more RAM and more USB-C ports, but at the same time I'd argue my M1 Air can still do everything I need it to do at the moment. Decisions.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on a 2015 Intel MBP that now desperately needs a upgrade. I'm thinking the base M3 Pro (18GB memory, 500GB storage) will be good for many years to come like my old one was. Just not quite sold on the black colour?

Soldato
I've decided I don't like the black colour, too dark/oppressive. Just debating the long term benefit of 36GB/1TB over 18/512... I have a desktop (windows) for heavier tasks.

Associate
Been looking for a good laptop for a long time, I think im going to bite the bullet and go for the 14" MacBook pro.
16gb RAM is a must for me as im planning on keeping this for a long time, 512gb should be enough space.

The real question is eithe the M3 or M3 pro? and how many cores. No real heavy workloads, but for future proofing I feel the M3 Pro will last a lot longer because of the big increase in core count

Soldato
Apple should really have 16GB as a minimum across the majority of their products, doubt it would cost them a significant amount on margin.

It will be a significant hit to their margins, because the upgrade to 16GB is £200 extra. If they make the bass model 16GB, a lot fewer people will pay the additional £200 to upgrade to 32GB. Make the base 8GB and a lot more people will pay for the upgrade. 8GB models will also become obsolete and require replacement earlier, which is potential future sales for Apple.

All base Mac models are configured so that people find them inadequate, that's how they end up paying for upgrades (which are extortionate). And if they don't, they get a device that will need replacing earlier. Win win for Apple. Not very consumer friendly but this lineup strategy has worked out very well for them for a very long time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom