• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Permabanned
Yep, no one will buy the main flagship any more and hold for the Ti's to roll in and do nearly the same thing.

I'm looking forward to Pascal. Exciting times ahead!

That's what upsets me, I don't want to pay Titan prices but the 980ti with less VRAM but Titan compute is something that I want to go for this year instead of x70's in SLI. However, we have to wait for Q2 to see those cards appear whilst NV flog the x70/80's.

Will I need to upgrade motherboard/CPU though to take advantage of the increased bus speeds? I'm still on Z77.

Soldato
Yep, no one will buy the main flagship any more and hold for the Ti's to roll in and do nearly the same thing.

I'm looking forward to Pascal. Exciting times ahead!

Of course they will, the sheeple will keep buying for epeen and for forum sigs. Nvidia know this and that's why prices are so high for release cards, because daftys will buy it because "it's the best" (even for a short time) If you said, no wait, hold on Nvidia I'm not taking this rip off pricing any more, someone else would just buy it anyway so you're ******* in the wind.

Soldato
Yip no one really should buy titanx or TI because pascal will be better :)
Also dont buy pascal because will be a card out better then that in a year too :rolleyes:
I'm waiting for pascal personally simply because atm i play older games like lotro which doesnt need a new card. If i bought W3 or other AAA games next week and wanted a boost i'd buy a titanX/TI/Fury card without worrying, about its lifespan tbh

Soldato
It depends really.

If your next upgrade goal is smooth 4k then it's worth skipping this generation as they will not give that.

At 1080p a gtx-970 is more than sufficient, 1440p is a stepping stone resolution & personally - with 4k around the corner this isn't worth investing in (the TI/TX & for some games 980 all can cover this). But at 4k even with SLI the performance isn't good enough in the current generation of cards to support it at a stable 60fps without turning down settings on AAA games (TW3, Crysis etc)

This for me is why I've decided to wait until Pascal, as the next generation of cards will be made with 4k in mind & two high end cards should be able to provide stable frame-rates at 4k for a decent amount of time.

Caporegime
Since when is a year "very short shelf life" :confused:

Will be well over a year for Titan X owners who bought at release.

Besides it won't mean they have to upgrade, granted most will if the performance leap is massive but the 9 series cards will still be on sale just like the 7 series cards were for months after the 9 series launched and some are still for sale now.

Soldato
But in that time the games will get harder to run which puts you back to square one ?

Exactly! It's a never ending cycle, and never changes. For the last 17 or so years I have been a PC gamer...

Everyone says one fast card is the best route (and it is). Then a game comes out that needs more so you get two.

Then everyone moans about SLI or crossfire issues, but you plough on. A new flagship card comes out that is just about powerful enough to match you current pair so you change.

Then monitor tech leaps a bit (resolution or Hz) and you upgrade that, so you need to upgrade your once, very recently flagship GPU again so reluctantly you go SLI or crossfire again.

Then another game comes out that pushes boundries, and what you have now isn't enough. So you start lusting/ hoping after new tech, and the whole cycle starts again. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Associate
So do you think NVlink will be a SLI bridge-type thing, or something mobo-manufacturers need to implement (for a premium price ofcourse)?

Associate
So with the Pascal GPU will you need a motherboard with NV-Link embedded??

So do you think NVlink will be a SLI bridge-type thing, or something mobo-manufacturers need to implement (for a premium price ofcourse)?

It will be on the motherboard and looks to need significant modification for power delivery and trace length. You can disregard it unless you are intending on building some form of supercomputer and are willing to pay through the nose for it. It wont be marketed at the PC consumer, closest it will get is servers and they will probably have to co-support both pci-e/Nv-link.

An overview here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7900/nvidia-updates-gpu-roadmap-unveils-pascal-architecture-for-2016

Back
Top Bottom