• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
The claim that FE 1080 is not a good overclocker (on existing evidence) is not invalidated because you keep claiming "neither is reference 980Ti".

As I said, wait for custom cards, if it still is the same then you can write an essay on it if you want.

Soldato
Why is there no news of custom cards.

Likely NDA which will be lifted on the 27th. They will be showcased at computex guaranteed and it will most likely be a race who gets theirs up first. I'd expect them to be released/preorder either straight away during computex or a few days after.

Either way we will see them at computex 100%.

It's possible they may be ready for pre-order couple days after 27th.

Soldato
As I said, wait for custom cards, if it still is the same then you can write an essay on it if you want.

Lolol, waiting for custom 1080 cards is absolutely unrelated to the post you replied to. I'll try again...

"The claim that FE 1080 is not a good overclocker (on existing evidence) is not invalidated because you keep claiming "neither is reference 980Ti"."

Now try answering the actual question. Does your claim that reference 980Ti needs 80% fan speed to maintain 1200MHz clocks invalidate the fact current evidence indicates the Founders Edition 1080 is a poor overclocker?

At least my "essay" provided actual empircal evidence to backup my claim the 1080 FE is a relatively poor overclocker.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Simple: Upgrade less often/be smarter with your upgrades. It depends on what exactly you want out of a card, what resolution and what framerate. Hopping from top-end to not-quite-top-end is not as advantageous. From what I've seen, the best way to upgrade is to stick to one particular part of the stack. For best results, one would go with the mid-range x70. But if one has the x80ti, it's best to wait for the next x80ti before upgrading. Patience is a virtue. If one is too impatient, then SLI is an option for much better performance. Even in games with poor SLI scaling, 2 980ti will always outperform a single 1080.

1080 (non-founder's edition) is best upgraded from a 980 or below.

The only exception to this is if one is swimming in money, in which case buy whatever you want, a few hundred quid is probably worth nothing to such a person.

And the funny thing is that many companies like Nvidia have turned impatience into a business. It's like pre-ordering a video game. Buy before you try and enjoy the day 1 issues! Thankfully it's not so bad with GPUs.

Mate I was being ironic :p

And Dude I pre-ordered Doom for 22 quid...;)

Soldato
Another cooler that'll sag like an octogenarian's rack. Its ridiculous the size of some of these coolers, the most OTT one of the last gen being the zotac amp extreme edition.

It's ridiculous that 99.9% of the power we give are computers are turned into heat.

Bring on the superconductors. Sky high clock speeds and no heat. In 20 years we will look back and laugh that we had huge fans and radiators on our computing components. Massively limiting ourself in speed due to the heat produced.

Caporegime
The claim that FE 1080 is not a good overclocker (on existing evidence) is not invalidated because you keep claiming "neither is reference 980Ti".

Yes it is because reviewers who put on a decent cooling solution (e.g. water) were getting over 2.2GHz but were running into power problems. It is clear that to see the potential of the 100 we need non-reference boards with an extra 6 pin and decent cooler due to the really small chip size its harder too coll than the 980Ti.

Already in these early days with known power limitations the 1080 is tending to overclock better than the initial 980Ti reference cards. But none of this is that unusual, the GP104 has been optimized for very high clock seed through extensive critical path optimization.

Soldato
Lolol, waiting for custom 1080 cards is absolutely unrelated to the post you replied to. I'll try again...

"The claim that FE 1080 is not a good overclocker (on existing evidence) is not invalidated because you keep claiming "neither is reference 980Ti"."

Now try answering the actual question. Does your claim that reference 980Ti needs 80% fan speed to maintain 1200MHz clocks invalidate the fact current evidence indicates the Founders Edition 1080 is a poor overclocker?

At least my "essay" provided actual empircal evidence to backup my claim the 1080 FE is a relatively poor overclocker.

One review, massive amounts of empirical evidence there, I have already read most of the reviews on videocardz review list so I think I have a reasonable idea, How can anything mean anything, without something to refer to? Your point makes no sense, compared to a fury X its a great overclocker, compared to a 980ti or 980, it is average so far on the reference card.

Is a giraffe tall?

No, not compared to the empire state building.

Yes, compared to an ant.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One review, massive amounts of empirical evidence there, I have already read most of the reviews on videocardz review list so I think I have a reasonable idea, How can anything mean anything, without something to refer to? Your point makes no sense, compared to a fury X its a great overclocker, compared to a 980ti or 980, it is average so far on the reference card.

Is a giraffe tall?

No, not compared to the empire state building.

Yes, compared to an ant.

But what have the Romans ever done for us ? :D

Associate
Found a helpful review on the Rain Forest.

Njt08rX.jpg

:p

I did not realise this and for that i have cancelled my pre order too...

Decided to go for the NEW PASCAL heater, heat and pressure vessel and it Heats well! Nice

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

Soldato
First GTX 1070 3DMark Firestrike benchmark

http://videocardz.com/60265/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-3dmark-firestrike-benchmarks

QtwWYfI.png

I thought GTX 1070 would be about 15% slower but surprised it is 24% slower than 1080 which is a huge gap. Overclocked GTX 1070 will push to get closer to 1080 with around 10% gap but would not able to beat stock 1080 if overclocked maxed out probably due to 1080's GDDR5X advantage.

Soldato
Again, only interested in actual game benchmarks.

It seems *about* right, though. Roughly 20% or so off a 1080 at a big discount.

Not bad for cut-down 314mm^ Pascal die, really.

Back
Top Bottom