• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Those benchmarks make me doubt whether or not to buy a 1080 now. It would definitely be a big upgrade for me but if a second hand 980Ti is almost as good...

Soldato

Lol, did this guy really check thermal throttling in an open test case system. I can see his open bench case with the 1080 in it. Now put that 1080 in a physical closed case and the throttling will be worse as ambient temperatures increase. Now it is of course possible to mitigate that by increasing fan speed but what's telling for me is that the 1080 reached normal boost clocks (1607) even in an open bench case.

As someone who owned both 780 and 980 reference cards I can assure you even though they are blower fans the ambient temperatures in a case still rises significantly after prolonged gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Can someone explain why cards with a single 8-pin power connector are bad?

Why does the fact it draws/requires less power mean it's a bad thing?

Genuine question, I'm really unsure here.

More power = more performance.
The founders edition cards have been strugglong to do more than 2.1ghz and the reviewers are saying its because they are hitting the power limit, so the theory goes that with more power available they will hit higher clocks

Soldato
Can someone explain why cards with a single 8-pin power connector are bad?

Why does the fact it draws/requires less power mean it's a bad thing?

Genuine question, I'm really unsure here.

Potentially Lower achievable clocks when overclocking or a lower boost clock due to power constraints.

Not that an extra power connector will guarantee you anything, or a non refrence card as a matter of fact. My refrence 980ti's easilly acheive the same clocks as a non refrence card. (Altho admittedly they have the same power connectors)

Its all luck of the draw and cooler prefrence with non refrence cards.

Personally id still buy the one with the extra connector just because it COULD clock/boost higher.

Soldato
OP
It's barely faster than the 980 Ti. With overclocking the 980 Ti might even pull ahead. Hmmm I might skip the 1080 altogether if I had any sense, it's a lot of money for something that's barely faster...

I am a GPU whore though, and the lure of something new might win me over anyway. Meh we are getting milked so badly these days :(

Associate
What 980 Ti is this being compared to? Would seem a little odd to compare a reference 1080 to something like a 980 Ti Classified.

At any rate, from the benchmarks I've seen it seems that there's 10-20% over AIB 980 Tis with the reference 1080 at stock clocks (or rather, standard GPU boost) and that's perfectly fine.

Associate
FTW uses 8+8 pin, so that is where I will be looking. This will be ref with a custom cooler.

And it won't thermal throttle as bad as the reference ;)

Can't wait for 2:00pm for the embargo to lift on custom cards. Then we can really see what the 1080 is capable of... and what the price truly is...

Back
Top Bottom