Playstation 4 (PS4) Specs:

• CPU: low power x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
  • GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon Graphics Core Next engine
  • RAM: GDDR5 8GB
  • HDD: Built–in, size unknown
  • Media: BD 6x, DVD 8x
  • Ports: USB 3.0, AUX
  • Network: Ethernet, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1
  • Output: HDMI, Digital Output (optical)
  • Bundled: Dual Shock 4 Pad

• Optional: Playstation Plus with free Drive Club PS+ Edition (1 year subscription) £35-40
  • Optional: Dual Shock 4 Pad £50 (est.)
  • Optional: PS4 Eye £50 (est.)
  • Optional: Software £40-50 (est.)
  • Optional: PS Vita (Remote Play) £170-200
Playstation 4 Features:

Instant on, Suspend to ram (Sleep), Share gameplay video from in-game, Game streaming, Jump-in Co-op, 3D, 4K video playback, Play while downloading, Remote play on PS Vita.

Gaikai Cloud: (speculation)

• Storefront Streaming: Try games for free and share with your friends, social functionality with Facebook and Ustream will allow players to share content with one another.
  • Spectating, Sharing: Live broadcasting of your gaming session, with friends able to comment on your screen. "Hot-seat" remote game play between friends.
  • Remote Play and Second Screen: Long term goal is to have the PS4 as a game server and stream to a PS Vita for personal gaming.
  • Backwards Compatibility: Future plans are to have all Playstation 1/2/3 games available to play via streaming from cloud servers.
Dual Shock 4 Pad Specs:
  • Size: 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (guess)
  • Weight: Approx. 210g (guess)
  • Input: PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, D-Pad, Buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2/R3/L3, Right stick, Left stick, Touch Pad Button, Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
  • Features: Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker, 6 Axis
  • Ports: USB (Micro B), Extension Port, Headset Jack
  • Comms: Bluetooth 2.1

Playstation 4 Eye Specs (optional):

• Size: 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (guess)
  • Weight: 183g (guess)
  • Video Pixel: (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
  • Video Frame Rate: 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps, 640x400 pixel @ 120fps, 320x192 pixel @ 240fps
  • Video Format: RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
  • Lens: Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
  • Field of View (FOV): 85 degrees
  • Microphone: 4 Channel Microphone Array
  • Connection: PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)

Playstation OS:

Comments and corrections are welcome.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Isn't it normally released in Japan first and then Europe the following year?

Nothing official has been said really but i think the ps3 was nov in us and japan and march in the uk or something like that? I hope this is not the case

You are correct, but there are rumors floating that Sony are looking to attempt a worldwide launch, like Nintendo did with Wii and Wii-U.

I guess it depends on the availability of GDDR5 ram.

Soldato
OP
Theres quite a few games looking good on my PS4 list.

Knack, Driver Club, GT5/6, Watch Dogs, The Witcher 3, Deep Down, Final Fantasy, Cyber Punk, Batman Arkam Origins and Thief... FIFA 14 (maybe), Formula 1 2014 (maybe)

Waiting to see the E3 sony presentation :)

Soldato
OP
Did Sony say they were bundling the PlayStation Eye with the PS4? Or is it not known yet?

Hope not. The less they include that could end up bumping up the launch price the better.

I've not heard anything about it. Hopefully it won't as it will be a feature I probably won't use that will just add more costs to it unnecessarily IMO.

I think it will come bundled with the PS4. Why else would all the controllers come "move" compatible. Also, if it comes bundled, then the devs know all PS4s will have "move" and make more and better use.

Sony will learn from the 1st move addon. Not many bothered to get it, thus devs couldn't use it much.

I want to see the cameras come with the PS4.

Soldato
OP
From that story earlier, about the Remote Play feature. I did spot the last line:
ORIGINAL STORY: A trusted PlayStation 4 developer source with a proven track record for accuracy has told Digital Foundry that Sony has mandated Vita Remote Play for all upcoming PS4 games - except those that require the use of its bundled stereoscopic camera, the PS4 Eye.

So I guess we can take it that the camera will be standard equipment. Which was my guess, seeing that the controllers had the move stuff built into them already.

Soldato
OP
I'll be honest and say that I think Nintendo and Sony are going in the right direction with Remote Play, via a Wii U Pad or Vita. The ability to free up the big telly and continue gaming on the small screen.

I don't get this MS box for everything. I don't think my family would be happy to share the telly with gaming at the same time. Assuming that the "snap" feature allows that.

Soldato
OP
Was it MS who said that and why is that BS?

Group program manager of Xbox Incubation & Prototyping Jeff Henshaw recently told OXM that for every console Microsoft builds, it will provision the CPU and storage equivalent of three Xbox One consoles in the cloud. This allows developers to assume that there's roughly three times the resources immediately available to their game. Thus, developers can build bigger, persistent levels that are more inclusive for players.

Well I don't hold much hope for console cloud computing. My virgin 100mb line has problems with over subscription, streaming problems and also virgins traffic shaping software. Add that with average latency times and variable ping rates. Also, how much data will be going up and down. Some ISPs also have limited usage caps.

You only have to play MMOs to see what cloud based computing does. The amount of times i see the word "Lag" mentioned, is uncountable now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It is a shame. I would definitely get a PS4 if it was backwards compatible....It would open up a whole generation of games that I missed out on, but would like to play....and I would still be able to play the new ones as well. It would be an instant purchase without even thinking about it.

I really don't think the backwards compatibility was part of their plan at the start.

PS3 used a Cell and the PS4 is x64 PC CPU. It would require including the PS3 hardware. Just like the original PS3 when it had the PS2 hardware.

I'd rather then concentrate on reducing the cost as much as possible, rather than adding PS3 compatibility.

Soldato
OP
How come on the Amazon US site they have launch day edition ps4's to show that your getting one of the launch ones but on the UK site they don't so you have no idea if your getting a launch one.

Its not a launch day edition PS4 (Unlike the Xbox One, who have a special launch day controller). Its because pre-orders have exhausted the initial hardware allocations. So Amazon US have placed a "Launch Day" flag to let the customer know if they will get a PS4 on launch day, or if sometime after.

Soldato
OP
I'll be dismayed if Sony feel the need to make us use the touchpad in games like the Vita. It's totally unsuited to gaming. It's almost as if they think the controls on tablets and phones are a benefit of the platform! :(

I can think of a few uses of a touchpad on a controller.... hmmm better control for RTSs, for a start. Swipe different screens into focus. New puzzle mechanics etc.

Soldato
OP
Argh I've nearly pre ordered a ps4 about 6 times now but then chickened out for various reasons,

PS plus ps3 content seems to be so good I'm not ready to step away from this gen
The last of us
Do I need to spend 350 plus a 50 quid game plus ps plus just to play Fifa before anyone else I know?

That said battlefield 4 keeps tempting me, as does watch dogs.....ahhh!

The division :)

Back
Top Bottom