The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Associate
OP
I have a Samsung 1TB drive as my main drive with FSX on it and its running pretty sweet apart from a lot of microstutters are low levels. Shader Model Fix made a huge difference.

I don't use that many of the fsx.cfg tweaks really. I think an SSD would help too but would need a fairly large one. Do you use UTX Europe or GEX or just REX as the only environment addon?

I use REX and many photoreal scenery addon which takes up butt loads of HD space. Hence why I have 4x 128GB SSDs in Raid0 as my FSX drive. That is the main downside to photoreal scenery, ie NL2000v4 at full install is @32GB.

I've always meant to get more into FSX, especially with all the other aircraft available via download. Does anyone recommend specific websites, a simple google brings up a few links but was unsure if anyone had experience and felt some should be steered clear from or not?

Thanks

Are you talking about freeware or payware aircrafts?

Soldato
I use REX and many photoreal scenery addon which takes up butt loads of HD space. Hence why I have 4x 128GB SSDs in Raid0 as my FSX drive. That is the main downside to photoreal scenery, ie NL2000v4 at full install is @32GB.

Have you tried the new REX Overdrive? I use FSGenesis Mesh and UTX Europe but I think the latter hits performance pretty bad.

Can you recommend any good UK photoreal scenery?

Associate
what controllers does eveyone use?

I use a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. It's not bad, but feels a bit on the light-weight/cheapish side... it does the job though. Might have to invest in the rudder pedals at some stage, bit of a struggle without them.

Also need to invest in a decent joystick soon (for FSX and the upcoming DCS A10 Warthog), the Saitek X65F looks ace but is a bit too expensive, so I reckon I might wind-up with a much cheaper X52.

Associate
OP
Soya, May i ask what spec you are running?

OCUK build Sugo Lan box, E8600 4Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, ATI 4870x2 2048MB (Although recently changed to a Nvidia GTX 480), 2x Raptors Raid0 4x 128GB SSDs Raid0, Win 7 64bit.

what controllers does eveyone use?

I use Saitek X52 nearly all the time, I did invest in the entire Saitek Yoke/Pedals/Quadrant/Instrument range but I hardly use it atm. I recommend the X52, should be able to find it cheap and it does pretty much everything within FSX once you program all the buttons. Oh and TrackIR would be a worthy investment too.

Have you tried the new REX Overdrive? I use FSGenesis Mesh and UTX Europe but I think the latter hits performance pretty bad.

Can you recommend any good UK photoreal scenery?

Yup, DL REX overdrive as soon as it came out, very large but very nice. Got some really great extra HD clouds/skies. As for decent UK photoreal scenery, @2 years ago I bought VFR Real Scenery from Justflight.com which cover most of the UK. At the time I thought it was pretty good, that was until I discovered other photoreal sceneries, some of them freeware, which were much better, alas none of them cover the UK. AFAIK this VFR real scenery is the only one that cover the UK atm, unless someone else knows different? I highly recommend you DL NL2000v4, it free and its easily the best photoreal scenery I have seen, it doesn't cover UK but Holland is just next door :).

Soldato
Ah right. Must try that. No point in tweaking more until I get an SSD. On the other hand I have been getting very bored with FSX as I just don't have time for my virtual airline flights anymore.

Associate
So how much is the game + addons

I'm a total novice with all this and I've not had it long, but this is what I've got so far...

FSX Deluxe Edition (includes Acceleration Expansion) - around £35 I guess
Real Environment Xtreme + Free Overdrive (REX) - £25
Ground Environment X Europe - £29

So that's £89... :eek: a bit more than I thought, but it looks v.nice with those two add-ons.

Associate
OP
I would say minimum requirement would be FSX deluxe & REX, priced @ as stated above, plus a reasonable joystick to get a bit more control over the actual flying. As for scenery/planes & mission etc, there is plenty of freeware to keep you busy for years and tons of payware if you need anything specific which you feel cannot find in freeware.

There is simply so much you can do with FSX, mostly to do with flying of course, but you can even drive cars or ships about. The FS community is what is keeping FS alive, not just the tons of freeware/payware addons but also online flying, learning about flying, enjoying the view around different parts of the world or admiring different aircraft for their modelling or perfomance, airtraffic control, navigation, doing missions or simply fly any type of aircraft you ever fancied having a go at. Whether you're in it for wanting to learn for your PPL(private pilot license)/retired or wannabe pilot who enjoys keeping their flying skills up or just a casual flyer, FSX has it all.

But it may not be everyone's cup of tea, don't expect awesome visual & performance at the start unless you have a high spec PC and decent addons to FSX (whether freeware or payware), don't expect intense flying action like in a combat sim (HAWK for instance). So knowing that you do need to invest @£80-£100 for both software and a decent joystick, I would carefully consider it first and do plenty of reading and research into the Flight Sim world & community before taking that leap, but if the bug does grab you then believe me, no other PC 'game' has given me more hours of use and joy then FSX has, not even a few MMORPGs which sucked a few years of my life and left me feeling I wasted them. Whereas with FSX, although I properly never learn to fly, I do have a satisfying feeling that I learned something about flying and I can see myself doing this more and more especially the closer I get to retirement.

My 2c's.

Associate
I seriously considering getting REX. Just 1 quick question though.

Basically I have FSX on my SSD and probably wont be able to get rex on the space left (20GB). I do however have plenty of space on my samsung F3. Can you choose where to instal REX or does it have to go in the FSX folder?

Also, would it be worth moving FSX to my HDD and putting REX on the SSD?

PS: cheers for this thread Soya, I'm an aeronautical engineer and the flight sim bug is really starting to bite. I have toyed with bog standard FSX (no add ons bar a couple of freeware a/c) but am really looking for more, esp after seeing your pics in this thread!

Last edited:
Soldato
You will be fine putting REX on the SSD but if you are wanting REX Overdrive then you will need more. I don't imagine there would be a problem with installing REX to the other drive.

Associate
Would definately get overdrive seen as its free! Also, is there any good (~£20-30) switzerland add on anyone can recommend?

Ive seen an Aerosoft one but that £100!!!

Associate
OP
I seriously considering getting REX. Just 1 quick question though.

Basically I have FSX on my SSD and probably wont be able to get rex on the space left (20GB). I do however have plenty of space on my samsung F3. Can you choose where to instal REX or does it have to go in the FSX folder?

Also, would it be worth moving FSX to my HDD and putting REX on the SSD?

PS: cheers for this thread Soya, I'm an aeronautical engineer and the flight sim bug is really starting to bite. I have toyed with bog standard FSX (no add ons bar a couple of freeware a/c) but am really looking for more, esp after seeing your pics in this thread!

My pleasure, once the flight sim bug bites and you have a decent setup (hardware & software) it can really be very much enjoyed for weeks/months and even years. As for installing REX, I have REX & Overdrive installed on my 4x SSDs Raid 0, but on hindsight I think it would be better to install REX on a storage device, after all, you are installing GBs of textures that are not directly used by FSX. Once you install them it looks at your theme selections, makes a backup of the original files and then copies the selected textures into the relevant FSX folders. Correct me if I am wrong but I would say keep it off the SSDs, only use files that are directly used by FSX (ie its normal install folder x:/microsoft games/flight simulator X/

You will be fine putting REX on the SSD but if you are wanting REX Overdrive then you will need more. I don't imagine there would be a problem with installing REX to the other drive.

See what I said above, would you agree that is the way REX works?

Would definately get overdrive seen as its free! Also, is there any good (~£20-30) switzerland add on anyone can recommend?

Ive seen an Aerosoft one but that £100!!!

It would either be the photoreal Switzerland Pro from Aerosoft, like you mentioned very pricey (got lucky myself and picked up an unwanted box copy a while back) or you could get UTX & GEX Europe which would be cheaper and cover the whole of Europe. I don't know of any other version payware or freeware, but it is a big community out there so there is a chance there could be some photoreal freeware switzerland out. Like NL2000V4 which cover the entire Netherlands and its free!

Back
Top Bottom