** The Official WWDC 2024 thread - Keynote 10th June at 18:00 BST **

Commissario
Wonder what we'll get this year.

New macOS announcement - Certainly
New iOS announcement - Certainly

Anything else is speculation :)

5vYUB3J.png

Soldato
I'm so hyped. I'm hoping the new Mac Studio comes out at the same time based on the fact that the last two came out at WWDC. I doubt I'll be able to afford it but it'll be interesting to see what an M3 Ultra can do!

Soldato
I imagine AI will be a big thing this year for Apple and what they've managed to stuff in their OS's.

I doubt I'll be able to afford it but it'll be interesting to see what an M3 Ultra can do!
There's lots of architecture changes between the M1/M2 and M3, so the Ultra should be a big step compared to what's come before it.
Also be interesting to see if Apple has fixed the 'GoFetch'/'Augury' vulnerability (it's not a biggie for joe-bloggs) in the M3 Ultra or whether that will come with the M4 - rumour is the latter but who knows.

Soldato
Going from an M1 Max to an M3 Ultra should be a pretty big upgrade.

Yeah, new perf cores about 35% faster, and there will be 50% more of them in M3 Max, so 3 times as much in the Ultra. Big ST and MT performance boost.

I'll stick to my M1 Max though, maybe I'll upgrade in the M5 generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm curious about people upgrading from M1 Max machines etc - I have my MBP M1 Max & its still absolutely crazy fast with zero reason to upgrade, I do photos & abit of video for a living.

What real world reasons do people do that they need an M3 Ultra? (a proper reason vs its just shiny fast and new)

Soldato
I'm curious about people upgrading from M1 Max machines etc - I have my MBP M1 Max & its still absolutely crazy fast with zero reason to upgrade, I do photos & abit of video for a living.

What real world reasons do people do that they need an M3 Ultra? (a proper reason vs its just shiny fast and new)

Main reasons I've seen so far are better ST performance and more ram. If this doesn't apply to you, keep your M1 Max for a few more years.

I have M1 Max at home and M3 Max at work, wouldn't upgrade my home machine anytime soon. Maybe M5 or M6 generation.

Soldato

I'm thinking of going from the M1 Max Studio to M3 Ultra Studio. Not only will it double performance it will also double the amount of RAM and SSD space. If I can get a trade in rebate for my current Studio that might bring a few hundred quid off the upgrade price. I'm basically waiting to see if WWDC will announce any new AI stuff and if Apple does release the new AI stuff will it require M3 or newer or will they back port it to older Macs.

Soldato
I'm thinking of going from the M1 Max Studio to M3 Ultra Studio. Not only will it double performance it will also double the amount of RAM and SSD space. If I can get a trade in rebate for my current Studio that might bring a few hundred quid off the upgrade price. I'm basically waiting to see if WWDC will announce any new AI stuff and if Apple does release the new AI stuff will it require M3 or newer or will they back port it to older Macs.

But do you *NEED* it though? I mean fair enough if you need an 8TB SSD and 256GB Ram ?

I've got the M1 Max MBP 64gb Ram, 2TB SSD and it absolutely annihilates photo editing & video editing. Which is great of course as I got value for money in terms of longevity - it did cost me an eye watering 4 grand at the time so I'd want at least 8 years from it to be fair!

Commissario
OP
Assuming there’s a yearly refresh, I won’t even be considering replacing my M1 Ultra until there’s an M6 (at the absolute earliest) or M7/M8.

Amusingly, my old 12” MacBook had an m7 cpu :cry:

Soldato
Do you think this AI update will allow HomeKit to do the MOST SIMPLE OF REQUESTS - i.e. - I have always wanted to make my HomePod make a noise or audio notification if a certain camera in HomeKit sees a person - not hard is it?? You'd think....... 'person detected on drive' - something like that? Hopefully the AI will allow it.

Soldato
The AI stuff is likely going to need or run better on the M4's according to latest news from Bloomberg.
Fair point. The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to skip the M3. My tech brain wants me to upgrade but my bank account doesn't :D. I mean I can pretty much do everything I want to do on my current Mac anyway. I just wish I had one with more storage.

Commissario
OP
I was a little bit sceptical when the Studio first came out and it took me a while to decide on which one to go for. With hindsight, perhaps I could have saved a few quid by going with the Max rather than the Ultra but if I'd done that, I'd probably have just used the difference in cost to go from the 2Tb SSD to the 4Tb.

The only time I ever use a fraction of the power is when I do some video work in iMovie and that's not very often. I need to learn FCP instead but I'm just very familiar with iMovie.

I do love the connectivity of the Studio. I've got something in every socket on the back except the HDMI connector.

Back
Top Bottom