***The Officially Official 'Rugby League in 2023' Thread***

Soldato
Warrington's season has fallen apart in spectacular fashion. from riding high and winning well to getting thrashed by Tail End Trinity.
And Powell sacked, which is not entirely unsurprising given his incredibly inflammatory and exposing post match statements, basically full throated attack against his players.

Associate
Holbrook being linked with the Warrington job.

I'm torn about this one. On the negative side, it would make Wire into real contenders - which they should be with the squad they have. On the positive side Sts fans would go into meltdown if it happened :)

I think they would have to throw crazy money at him to get him over here. He knows enough about SL to know that Warrington are a real car crash at the moment. Both the players and Powell have tried to throw each other under a bus. He spent last year throwing out supposedly bad apples, but they are in an even worse position now.

On the Wire forums some are mentioning Shaun Wane. Shaun Wane was the Academy coach at Wigan for years before becoming assistant under Maguire. He was able to get the academy lads to run through brick walls for him, but didn't take any prisoners. It was his way or nothing. Maguire was also a really strict coach and when the players from the academy came through they were used to the culture Wane had established (and which remains at the club now). I don't think that would work with experienced pros (well it hasn't worked for Powell anyway).

Some coaches just need a fresh start. Lam's last season at Wigan was one of the worst I can remember. Leigh look great this season - they folded once Wigan got ahead just before half time with the CC Final in view, but they were good up to that point. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Powell back at Cas

Reactions: JRS
Soldato
Holbrook ruled out and Wane is just simply Mr Wigan - can't see that one happening tbh.

Maybe Lee Briers or somebody like that but you have to tempt him back from a new life in Oz to sort out trouble back in Warrington? Not a great sell.

Soldato
Men against boys, literally. Team comprised of half the academy lads with a sprinkling of reserves players, scoreline not unexpected. Just didn't want to risk any HIAs or injuries to first team players with a week to go to the Challenge Cup final.

Associate
Tough losing to a drop goal in golden point (tell me about it!). They do 10 minutes extra time in finals in the NRL before going to golden point. I think that's a good idea, you get chance to respond and it isn't decided by a single mistake

I though HKR were their own worst enemies - too many mistakes, particularly bringing it off their own line.

Associate
..... and now a GP win. This was a shocking game in terrible weather and I don't know what we did wrong to have to endure another 8 minutes. A pattern is emerging on how to beat Wigan. Slow the game right down (helpful if you get a relatively inexperienced ref), which takes out any fitness issues at the back end of the game, and get in French's face to cut down his decision time. He's great player, but he isn't a 6. A half decent goal kicker would have seen this game off for Wigan much sooner.

Tyrone May looks like a really good signing for HKR

Soldato
Wigan did Rovers a favour and Rovers did Wigan a favour...bout time we got one over on Catalan after pushing them close quite a few times over the last few seasons but coming out on the wrong side of the result

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom