The ROG Rampage V Edition 10 Owners Thread

Associate
I used flat head screw driver... just had to be careful

i'd like to use a flat head screwdriver on all the designers of this board. no, really!! ROG = Republic of Gays (just thought of it.. really...)
it seems there is no "trick", these imbeciles really have designed it this way.

perhaps final question, did you apply pressure and push the tip of your screwdriver on the plastic edge, closer to u502, or more on the "tongue" or lip towards the end?
did you apply what felt like unreasonable force? were you at all scared? what if it slips and damages the board? will asus pay? rhetorical question.

Associate
i decided to do it and got it out without any damage.. i tapped on the plastic tab with a flat head screwdriver instead of a constant push and that did it. having done it, i now understand better how it works in this mb, and will be able to repeat the procedure. all in all, this design is pure insanity for asus. you'd expect this from maybe some no name brand, not the world's "#1".

anyway, i'm now content and am bouncing.... (thanks for engaging)

Associate
actually, one more question. this mb requires two cpu plugs? i assumed it would need only the 8 pin one. the cpu is a i7 6850K. does it need both the 8pin and 4pin ones? (as bonus, if both, can you link to some official place from asus or intel that shows that? i want to save it for future.)

Associate
nobody answered last question, eh? i used both!!

simple setup;

asus rampage v mb with intel x99 chipset
1 x samsung 960 pro nvme via m.2 port (no other drives)
windows 7 (yes, really) installed and working perfectly. fyi; used the gigabyte windows usb installation tool to create working win7 usb stick.

drive seems to perform at close-ish to expected/advertised values. (see below) drive is also using latest firmware. i know so because i booted off the samsung firmware iso and after it checks, reports as "being latest". crystal disk mark and other disk benchmark tools all report same-ish results, as expected, so drive not hindered in any significant way. (could maybe improve around 5-7%?) magician itselfs shows expected-ish results.

sigpFlg.png

my only concern of sorts is that samsung's own magician isn't fully supporting it. see below. is it because it uses microsoft nvme drivers? but if yes, what can i do? i did get current latest samsung drivers, installed them, rebooted, but no change. it's as if they -the samsung drivers- did nothing. they are installed under "program files" and have an uninstall option under windows add/remove as normal, but aren't installed really.

PUYw3XV.png

additionally, i also tried to manually update drivers by going to device manager > hardware > drive > driver tab > update driver, then point to the correct place that holds the four needed files. they are; secnvme.cat, secnvme.inf, secnvme.sys & secnvmeF.sys. they are the same as the ones the installer installs anyway, with the last two being digitally signed by both samsung (sha1) and microsoft (sha256). i also tried to "old" right click the inf file and click install, only to get "the inf file you selected does not support this method of installation".

MbO8yxP.png

i suppose i can just carry on, but decided to maybe try and somehow switch to samsung drivers, so magician recognizes and starts supporting it's own damn drive before i start installing the other apps and start using windows properly. since this is early stage, i have not updated windows to the very latest, though not sure that would make any difference here. the drive is up and running just fine, seems to perform exactly how it's supposed to, just that the drive maker's own software isn't playing nice with it.

finally, the bios settings for booting are currently set to; auto for the CSM (both auto/enabled work, decided to leave on auto) and "other os" for the safe boot section.

ideas?

Back
Top Bottom