The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Too many people now think you need to be able to level to 100 and pick from thousands of skills for a game to be an RPG.

The story, characters and world are outstanding and leave you hooked for more. I've never played a game and cared about the characters, history and world more.

In my eyes that makes it a fantastic Role Playing Game.

Well, it's called an RPG for a reason. And it's a game, not a book. The mechanics should also be equally polished and something as trivial as proper, sensible level scalling should be a given if it is to deserve the title of "the best game/RPG of all time" as some people call it. Thousands of skills? If anything, it should've had less than it has now since most are pretty useless anyways:p

The worst thing is that the main story and characters aren't anything special compared to Assassins of Kings and neither is the world. I simply couldn't believe how bland the story was after all the hype. I tried to like it but it was just too cliche. It's kinda funny because if there was no story in Witcher 3 and only sidequests and witcher contracts, I'd rate it 9/10 instead of 8/10:p It tries to be big, with plenty of characters etc. but it falls victim to its own grandeur. If you throw away some pretty pointless side characters and get rid of all the duller story bits, all you're left with is a typical "find your family/save the world from an evil force" trope with nice dialogue. Same with the world: big just for the sake of it.

I played dozens of games where I cared for the characters more so I guess it's all subjective. The Last of Us, MGS 3: Snake Eater, or the Silent Hill series spring to mind. All of those aren't even RPGs and are also a bit overrated, yet their character creations, emotions they convey and stories are a solid notch above Wild Hunt. They can even give it a run for its money in terms of dialogue.

The pacing was bad as well, I felt like an errand boy 3/4 of the game. The world? It's a typical medieval fantasy setting, nothing we've never seen done before, just bigger. And I'm not sure its scale really works to the game's advantage.

The game's undoubtedly an achievement of sorts and I really enjoyed it but saying it has the best story/gameplay/mechanics/world of all time is a bit too much.

EDIT: I lol'd hard though when Geralt
got clattered with Eskel and Lambert:p
One of the most hilarious things I've seen in games to date:p

Last edited:
Soldato
Genuinely interested, what game released within the last 12 months did you enjoy more? Any RPG games?

Of the top of my head, MGS V, DS III, Pillars. The first isn't much of an RPG but its gameplay mechanics are so good when you turn off the console helper tools, they make up for the boring world and odd story.

Pillars could have been better but it had a good story, decent mechanics and good progression. Divinity Original Sin did all of that better the year before, now that's a fun RPG.

DS III has no equal in terms of gameplay to the point where the other aspects barely matter.

As I said, Witcher 3 is is by no means a subpar game. It's just that what it does best, I've seen done many times before with uglier graphics and its flawed combat, item/skill progression and points of interest placement are issues I couldn't ignore.

Soldato
You know, I held out for a long time before buying into this, knowing that it could be a game that would suck away my free time.

I lasted 84 minutes before I got it refunded. Sure it looked pretty, but the controls felt awful to me, and it just didn't grab me in the same way that other games have in the past. Maybe I'm just getting old, or something else, I dunno.

Shame really.

I am proberbly a heretic for saying this, but try it on the Xbox 360 pad. I am not a fan of the keyboard and mouse, but with Xbox 360 pad, love it.

Associate
Just bought this guys so I can play it on the pc (completed it on the ps4), I'm 7hrs in and keep getting black screens! Mostly to desktop and then I can just click on it in the task bar then I'm away again. But tonight it black screened then froze my pc and all I could do was hit the reset button.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Soldato
Think i have asked this before, but not sure, never played any of the other witcher games before, am just about to start game, what difficulty should i play on ? i want to see most things in the game and not miss anything, as i think choosing a different difficulty changes what you see and do in the game ?

Soldato
Choose blood and broken bones. I chose sword and story and it was far too easy after a few hours into the game. As soon as you master the combat the game gets a lot easier.

If you are bothered about achievements you will get an extra one for completing the game on the higher difficulty. if not then try sword and story first and then change it mid game if you need to.

Soldato
Choose blood and broken bones. I chose sword and story and it was far too easy after a few hours into the game. As soon as you master the combat the game gets a lot easier.

If you are bothered about achievements you will get an extra one for completing the game on the higher difficulty. if not then try sword and story first and then change it mid game if you need to.

Cheers, so if i find blood and broken bones to hard i can still change mid game, thx

Associate
I recently had to update my rig to Windows 10 and never had a backup of my Witcher saves. Is this a big issue going into Witcher 3 with regards to previous choices/paths etc?

Associate
I recently had to update my rig to Windows 10 and never had a backup of my Witcher saves. Is this a big issue going into Witcher 3 with regards to previous choices/paths etc?

If you lost saves from W2 to use in W3 it's not a problem. I never played W2 and I got an interrogation asking about the decisions that mattered.

If you meant W3 saves to play through the DLC I'm not sure, I've not played the DLC yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play it soon.

Associate
If you lost saves from W2 to use in W3 it's not a problem. I never played W2 and I got an interrogation asking about the decisions that mattered.

If you meant W3 saves to play through the DLC I'm not sure, I've not played the DLC yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play it soon.

Thanks for this; it was W2 to W3.

Soldato
Cheers, so if i find blood and broken bones to hard i can still change mid game, thx

Yep, you can change it at any point. You can also change the difficulty of Gwent independently from the main game. I'd advise lowering the difficulty of Gwent until you find some better cards and build a good deck up. It starts off quite hard and might put you off.

Associate
Just looking through the recent posts, i'm really interested in owning all the gwent sets. If I buy the expansion pass off steam, where can I order the gwent decks from?

I have found the hearts of stone gwent decks but can't seem to find the blood and wine decks. Anyone else found them?

Associate
I decided to make an effort to get into Gwent, and I've been doing pretty well. One thing I cannot figure out for the life of me, is how to start a game without redrawing cards.

Is it possible?

Edit: Never mind, I pressed escape by accident et voila! I was confused by the fact it says 'Escape (Forfeit Game)' in the top right corner!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom